• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wing Across The Pond

NHL will not participate in 2018 Winter Olympics

Rate this topic

So, who does this open the door for? I'd get behind it if we had juniors from the OHL, etc. I like watching the WJC and seeing future stars. Having young amateurs would be more in line with the Olympic tradition anyway.

If countries send the Emmertons of the world then I think everybody loses in this olympics.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

26 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

So, who does this open the door for? I'd get behind it if we had juniors from the OHL, etc. I like watching the WJC and seeing future stars. Having young amateurs would be more in line with the Olympic tradition anyway.

If countries send the Emmertons of the world then I think everybody loses in this olympics.

Well back in '94 I think it was all jr. players. 

Here was Team Canada's roster as an example: I remember Paul Kariya being the young stud of the team.

Corey Hirsch,
Manny Legace,
Allain Roy,
Brad Werenka,
Derek Mayer,
Mark Astley,
Adrian Aucoin,
Chris Therien,
Brad Schlegel,
David Harlock,
Ken Lovsin,
Paul Kariya,
Petr Nedvěd,
Todd Hlushko,
Chris Kontos,
Dwayne Norris,
Brian Savage,
Greg Parks,
Greg Johnson,
Todd Warriner,
Fabian Joseph,
Wally Schreiber,
Jean-Yves Roy

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_hockey_at_the_1994_Winter_Olympics

Edited by kliq

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

LGW already has one line ready to go

22 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I want to play too just to cheap shot Crysby

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Crosby might not be there though.  Do you have any other skills besides bruising?  Otherwise we're slotting you in as an extra man.

Faceoffs. In my beer league I even scored a few goals by knocking the drop right at the goalie. Surprised the hell out of them every time. Of course the refs let me cheat, but if they let you do it, it's legal, right? And I can play center, either wing, or d on both sides.

22 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Faceoffs. In my beer league I even scored a few goals by knocking the drop right at the goalie. Surprised the hell out of them every time. Of course the refs let me cheat, but if they let you do it, it's legal, right? And I can play center, either wing, or d on both sides.

Doubt it 

Doubt it all you want.  WHATEVAH!  WHAT EVAH!! I DO WHAT I WANT!!!

Plus most of the goalies sucked.  Average score was something like 7-5.  Double digit goals weren't uncommon

Edited by DickieDunn

8 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Doubt it all you want.  WHATEVAH!  WHAT EVAH!! I DO WHAT I WANT!!!

Plus most of the goalies sucked.  Average score was something like 7-5.  Double digit goals weren't uncommon

We could always use more moxie on the squad.  Consider yourself in, but wait for official positioning until we get more of the roster fleshed out and figure out where we are lacking.

21 hours ago, kliq said:

Your ignoring the insurance side of the debate because you enjoy watching the players stick it to the owners. I'm not pro owners, however the reality of the situation is that the owners are the one's with the power here. The biggest stars are the one's with the most to lose.

That's why I've mentioned if the biggest stars are going AND the owners allow it ==> they have the blessing from the men paying for their contracts who should stop them? If I'm going to my boss and he tells me it's ok to go on vacation and then someone who doesn't pay me tells me no, I'd also tell him toi go f...himself - of course in nicer words - but you get the point.

Of course insurance will play a role but we are talking about guys making millions of $ they'll for sure be able to sign a 2 months insurance contract. Also I won't be able to watch any of it because of the great time differense but I always think national pride should be rewarded simple as that. I mean the problems the NHL has with 2018 winter olympics will be the same in 2022 and yet they've already said they want to go? Such a double standard and the IOC, IIHF should tell them you are either in or out but players are welcome to participate.

13 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

That's why I've mentioned if the biggest stars are going AND the owners allow it ==> they have the blessing from the men paying for their contracts who should stop them? If I'm going to my boss and he tells me it's ok to go on vacation and then someone who doesn't pay me tells me no, I'd also tell him toi go f...himself - of course in nicer words - but you get the point.

Of course insurance will play a role but we are talking about guys making millions of $ they'll for sure be able to sign a 2 months insurance contract. Also I won't be able to watch any of it because of the great time differense but I always think national pride should be rewarded simple as that. I mean the problems the NHL has with 2018 winter olympics will be the same in 2022 and yet they've already said they want to go? Such a double standard and the IOC, IIHF should tell them you are either in or out but players are welcome to participate.

Why in the world would an insurance company take on that kind of risk? Ovechkin still has $40 million in salary that has to be paid out. I don't know a ton about the insurance industry, but that seems like an astronomical amount of risk to cover one player for 2 months who could suffer a career ending injury on the ice.

On 4/4/2017 at 9:13 AM, LeftWinger said:

NHL needs to maintain their stance and not bow down to the players. If the NHL are hardballers, which they are, they'll schedule the busiest schedule they can during those two weeks. 

I, for one, don't think professional players should be playing in an amateur tournament. I understand the debate about the best players in the world, etc...but I just feel it should be players that aren't in the NHL or the KHL for that matter.

IMO, you either decide to play in the International Federation or the NHL. If you decide to sign the NHL contract and breach that contract, your contract is null and void and your ability to sign in the NHL again is blocked. Now if the NHL and the NHLPA want to work something into the next CBA, fine, but as of now, if the people who pay your exuberant salary say no, then it's no. You breach, you're no longer in the NHL. 

I disagree.  I completely understand owners wanting to protect their investment, but they don't OWN the players.  Players are contractors who supply their labor (i.e. hockey playing) to franchise owners.  I suspect that there's nothing in their contracts prohibiting them from playing elsewhere provided their owners agree to a leave of absence (which, in cases like Ovechkin, they're willing to do).  I actually think this is precisely the time for players do conduct a work action, if nothing else, to show the owners that they (the players) are willing to hurt the owners too (to prove a point for the next CBA negotiations). 

Having said that, I don't even blame the owners here.  I blame the IOC.  They make an insane amount of money off NHL talent in the games, and the owners (who reasonably want a kickback), are being blackballed by the Olympic committee.  They won't allow the NHL preferential treatment in terms of advertising, branding, etc.  And now they're not even willing to pay the costs associated with getting the NHLers into the tourny.  At the end of the day it's their loss.  Going to be awfully hard to sell a bunch of Team Canada "Crosby" sweaters if he isn't there.  The IOC is 100% more corrupt than the owners because unlike the NHL, the Olympics are ostensibly not a profit making enterprise. 

Either way, I'll still be all about the tourny.  There are a TON of high end, non-professional players, who will fill the ranks and I'll be pumped to see it.  It's essentially the World Juniors on steroids because you'll have everyone from juniors through the AHL to fill the teams with.

Edited by kipwinger

Per the CBA, IF players and owners agreed to attend the event, AND the IOC was actually willing to let the NHL make money off of the enterprise, my understanding is that the NHLPA and the NHL would split the revenue 50-50.  So you can't even say the owners just want everything for themselves here.  The only difference is that the players are willing to play for free while the owners aren't willing to part with their players' services for nothing.  Totally reasonable to me.

36 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Why in the world would an insurance company take on that kind of risk? Ovechkin still has $40 million in salary that has to be paid out. I don't know a ton about the insurance industry, but that seems like an astronomical amount of risk to cover one player for 2 months who could suffer a career ending injury on the ice.

Because taking on risk is what insurance companies do. It is literally the entire reason they exist.

I'm sure the premiums to cover someone like Ovie would be extraordinary, and not cheap for even an average player, for that matter.

5 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Because taking on risk is what insurance companies do. It is literally the entire reason they exist.

I'm sure the premiums to cover someone like Ovie would be extraordinary, and not cheap for even an average player, for that matter.

That's what I mean. Seems like a bad deal for all parties.

Not bad risks. They take on risks they're likely to make money on.

3 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Well if the owners of their teams let them, that is a different story but I dont see that happening as so far only 1 owners has that he is okay with it.

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Not bad risks. They take on risks they're likely to make money on.

That's why premium prices are so carefully calculated. 

Why is this even a debate? NHL players have played in the last 5 Olympics. Insurance was one of the major points in the last one. According to Wikipedia, it cost the IOC around $7 million, and they said they won't be paying for it anymore.

If they don't go in 2018, and if the sanctions against players who do try to go are too high for the average player, I wonder how many players will negotiate their contracts so that they will end before the next Olympics, and then the year of the Olympics take a year away from the NHL (KHL, Sweden, whatever) with an agreement from the team that they be allowed off for the Olympics.  Probably not a lot of US/Canadian players, but I can see some of the European players doing it.

What I don't understand is if it was so important to the players, why didn't they negotiate it in the CBA?  It was included in the prior CBAs.  Was it a miss, or on purpose (i.e. don't want to get it by giving something else up, so leave it out and try to get it later anyway).