• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Fedorovfan

This thread speaks for it's self

Rate this topic

http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/elliotte-friedman-on-ken-holland?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Ken Holland does not want to step-down he wants to be the man to bring the team back...expect an extension...

Blashill WILL be back.

Sorry folks. No Stevie, no Hitchcock, going to be the same old stuff next season and beyond.

Since this is the new Holland thread....

From Friedman's 30 Thoughts

11. Ken Holland is 61. He’s got one more year left on his contract. Is there any chance Detroit's executive vice president and GM would step down, hand someone else the keys to the car? “You know what, I’ve been pretty lucky in my career,” he said last week. “Since I retired and became a scout, I’ve only had to live in two places (Medicine Hat and Detroit). I got to be the general manager of a team that was already a Stanley Cup champion and then was able to win more. But I don’t want to step down. I was here during the good times and I want to get us back there.”

12. Holland has made it very clear in many interviews he does not see this being a major teardown. Evgeny Svechnikov played Monday and scored the shootout winner against Ottawa. Tyler Bertuzzi’s seen seven NHL games, 2016 second-rounders Filip Hronek and Givani Smith made AHL debuts last week. Holland wouldn’t commit to them being full-time NHLers next season, but did admit they are closing in. So he likes what he has coming.

Holland is going with a seven-forward, three-defenceman, one-goalie protection model for the expansion draft. However, the most important topic for the Red Wings will be what happened to Riley Sheahan? To Danny DeKeyser? To Gustav Nyqvist and Petr Mrazek. “We’re going to sit down after the season and we’re going to go through it. Because these players are better than they’ve shown. We just have to figure why it happened.”

13. Any theories? “The Datsyuk factor is one,” Holland said. “This was our first season without him, and even though he was getting older, he is still a great player. He shielded a lot of his teammates, because he received top assignments and the best opponents. Without him, some of our players had to step into more difficult roles, maybe before they were ready. We hope what they learned improves them for the future.”

Holland also pointed to a power play that did not score on the road from Oct. 19 to Jan. 12, although it rebounded strongly in the last two months of the season. Interestingly, he quoted a few analytics in our conversation, mentioning the team had a .686 winning percentage in one-goal games in 2015–16, “which is unsustainable.” They are below average this year.

14. Holland backed his coach, Jeff Blashill. “He went to the USHL and won a championship. He went to an NCAA program (Western Michigan) and revived it. He won the Calder Cup in the AHL, and other teams were starting to take notice. His resume indicates he will be successful.”

Expect Blashill to return.

15. Holland also used the resumé example with Dylan Larkin. “Everywhere he’s gone, he’s been an important player. He came to the NHL and was successful right away. What happens is that a good player arrives and the league adjusts to you. He’s got great speed, and other teams have figured out how to close the gap on him. Now, he’s got to adjust back. We’ve moved him around, but we see him as a centre. And we see him trying some different things. In the last couple of games, he’s pulled up as he crosses the blueline, not simply driving wide and around the net. That’s good. That’s him making adjustments, making it harder for other teams to defend him. Again, his resumé shows he’s going to be successful.”

16. Finally, I asked about Niklas Kronwall. Kronwall has two years left on his contract, but the actual cash drops and he’s got a partial no-trade. Limited to 54 games, he’s been a model Red Wing, given the organization everything he has, and his body is breaking down. Will he be back? “He has earned the right to sit in my office and discuss what he wants to do. Even if he is injured, we see a lot of value in his attitude and what he brings.”