• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HockeytownRules19

Dennis Cholowski signs 3 year entry level contract

Rate this topic

On 2017-04-06 at 9:27 AM, Fedorovfan said:

I wonder if they were not happy with the program he was in at St. Cloud and think he would be better developed in Grand Rapids? Can't really say I know much about about college hockey, but it seems odd that they would sign him now.

I think that's what it is. Apparently he was a very good student, and maybe focused a bit too much on his studies and not enough on training or hockey. He can skate well, but needs to bulk up big time. Now that the Wings can control his development and he's not distracted with school it'll work out better for both parties. From his past season it seems he still needs a lot of work. I dunno if he's ready for the AHL yet. He's 19, but looks 15. I can see him getting pushed around and maybe hurt. If he has an option to play junior for a season while working with the Wings training staff it'll be the best move.

Even though he was a first round pick, I read that the Wings knew he would be a project, and if they could do what they needed to do, he could turn out as a solid second pairing guy. They signed him early to get him on the right track so he doesn't waste away in the minors like Smith did and stunt his development, which is good news for the rebuild situation.

Edited by chaps80

7 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Damn son

I sure am glad we were right about him dominating the CHL. It's happening. 

Well I wouldn't say dominating, but it's a good start for sure. Kale Clague, now that guy is dominating with 12 points (5 goals, 7 assists) in 5 games...

Cholowski currently ranks 9th among all WHL defensemen, but with 5 points in his last 3 games, hopefully he keeps rolling and finishes the season top 5 (or number one...).

31 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I'd rather have him finish 20th in points and learn how to be a high end defender

Why does it have to be one or the other? Finish top 5 in scoring for defensemen, while rounding out his defensive game. :w00t:

24 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Why does it have to be one or the other? Finish top 5 in scoring for defensemen, while rounding out his defensive game. :w00t:

if he can do both, great.  The priority should be learning to play on both ends though.  We don't need another Sproul/Almquist type