• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

puckbags

Is anything safe anymore? Our beloved tradition *Mod warning post #94*

Rate this topic

4 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Whoa! I think you're on to something.  The traditional large pizza has EIGHT slices!  And seventy years ago it took EIGHT wins to hoist the Cup.  Is the universe trying to tell us something?  This is cosmically significant!

and we're 8th in the division. sounds like providence to me...

12 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

PETA is just a bunch of liberal hypocrites and ecoterrorists who periodically put out some completely ridiculous statement to get attention.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

They believe shearing sheep should be outlawed, even though shearing is vital to a sheeps health and wellbeing. 

Plus i think they kill a ton of animals in their shelters or something.

Regardless, it's the argument here that's dumb. The octopi are already dead. Sure it's wasteful to throw food, but it's not cruel to animals. 

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

They believe shearing sheep should be outlawed, even though shearing is vital to a sheeps health and wellbeing. 

Plus i think they kill a ton of animals in their shelters or something.

Regardless, it's the argument here that's dumb. The octopi are already dead. Sure it's wasteful to throw food, but it's not cruel to animals. 

dude check that link I posted, it's Penn and Teller's BS episode about PETA. They're evill, read all about it!

2 hours ago, puckbags said:

Out dated? People throw them on the ice every game pretty much. How does that make it out dated.  ?

I mean outdated in the sense that as time passes we scrutinize our actions and traditions to evaluate if they are harmful or contribute to our overall wellbeing.  Rivers are no longer used for waste disposal (outside of New Jersey haha) because we realized it was harmful.  While this is not as impactful a situation the same scrutiny can be applied.

Peta is an extreme organization and as that qualifier implies, there is a middle ground between the opposing ideologies.  Usually what is sensible lies somewhere Between the two.  Should we kill gorillas and elephants for trophies and ivory?  Should we instead outlaw killing all animals even for food?  Certainly not, but can we recognize that octopi are intelligent and emotionally complex beings and maybe eating them is acceptable but throwing a dead octopus or chicken or whatever on the ice for the sake of remembering a group of guys who were really good at hockey is something we can turn the page on?

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter. 

11 minutes ago, Mckinley25 said:

I mean outdated in the sense that as time passes we scrutinize our actions and traditions to evaluate if they are harmful or contribute to our overall wellbeing.  Rivers are no longer used for waste disposal (outside of New Jersey haha) because we realized it was harmful.  While this is not as impactful a situation the same scrutiny can be applied.

Peta is an extreme organization and as that qualifier implies, there is a middle ground between the opposing ideologies.  Usually what is sensible lies somewhere Between the two.  Should we kill gorillas and elephants for trophies and ivory?  Should we instead outlaw killing all animals even for food?  Certainly not, but can we recognize that octopi are intelligent and emotionally complex beings and maybe eating them is acceptable but throwing a dead octopus or chicken or whatever on the ice for the sake of remembering a group of guys who were really good at hockey is something we can turn the page on?

Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter. 

Theyre not very intelligent or emotionally complex when they're dead. Would you be opposed to throwing pepperoins at the ice in the new arena?

22 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Theyre not very intelligent or emotionally complex when they're dead. Would you be opposed to throwing pepperoins at the ice in the new arena?

That's the point, there's an argument to made for eating them as organisms use other organisms to survive, but we don't  want a market for gorilla hands (there is one for some reason) but if eating gorillas was important in keeping human around I'd probably eat a gorilla.  Of course they may be an argument for not eating octopi at all but I don't know that I'm prepared to present it.

Similar to this situation, I'd be opposed to the pepperoni throwing enough to discuss its merits on this forum, but am not going to picket outside the arena.

Edited by Mckinley25

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

you still don't get it... pepperoni is made out of either pigs or cows, so it falls in the same category as chicken liver.

Unless you mean real pepperoni...

peperoni-pizza.jpg

vegan approved

37 minutes ago, Mckinley25 said:

That's the point, there's an argument to made for eating them as organisms use other organisms to survive, but we don't  want a market for gorilla hands (there is one for some reason) but if eating gorillas was important in keeping human around I'd probably eat a gorilla.  Of course they may be an argument for not eating octopi at all but I don't know that I'm prepared to present it.

Similar to this situation, I'd be opposed to the pepperoni throwing enough to discuss its merits on this forum, but am not going to picket outside the arena.

I agree with you. But I'd hardly say there's a market for Octopus related to the Red Wings. How many go on to the ice a year? A few? 10? More if we make the playoffs? Nobody out there has a business built around selling octopus to Wings fans. We're hardly a blip.

The point I'm trying to make is this is not about animal cruelty. Animals are not being harmed. Its about waste. Improper use of something that could otherwise be food. Which is why I think this argument is more suited for my mother than it is for PETA.

And I think if you wanna combat wasting food, going after fat drunk guys from down river detroit, who throw octopi at ice managers, is the wrong place to start

Of course PETA will tell you that throwing the corpses of their octocomrades is literally murder in and of itself

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I agree with you. But I'd hardly say there's a market for Octopus related to the Red Wings. How many go on to the ice a year? A few? 10? More if we make the playoffs? Nobody out there has a business built around selling octopus to Wings fans. We're hardly a blip.

The point I'm trying to make is this is not about animal cruelty. Animals are not being harmed. Its about waste. Improper use of something that could otherwise be food. Which is why I think this argument is more suited for my mother than it is for PETA.

And I think if you wanna combat wasting food, going after fat drunk guys from down river detroit, who throw octopi at ice managers, is the wrong place to start

Of course PETA will tell you that throwing the corpses of their octocomrades is literally murder in and of itself

I agree with you, but I find it's productive to affect progress in the corner of world we occupy.  Red Wings hockey is our arena and this is an interesting and relevant topic to discuss.

4 minutes ago, Mckinley25 said:

I agree with you, but I find it's productive to affect progress in the corner of world we occupy.  Red Wings hockey is our arena and this is an interesting and relevant topic to discuss.

I agree with that.

Which is why I thought donations to cephalopod research, and or preservation, on big games nights would be a nice gesture for the Wings to do. Give the tradionalists their fun, but then also plug that charity/foundation. Kinda saying, hey thats a cool unique tradition you got there, but on the reals lets try to be good to and protect these creatures ya?

16 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I agree with that.

Which is why I thought donations to cephalopod research, and or preservation, on big games nights would be a nice gesture for the Wings to do. Give the tradionalists their fun, but then also plug that charity/foundation. Kinda saying, hey thats a cool unique tradition you got there, but on the reals lets try to be good to and protect these creatures ya?

doesn't Peta know that LGW is partner of the World Wildlife Fund?

I prefer my version of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals

I asked a PETA member who was talking about how bad it is to raise animals and how they should all be shut down immediately what would happen to all the animals if they got their way.  She said it wasn't realistic to expect them to be shut down immediately.  So you're asking for unrealistic things?  YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!

It's a PR stunt, nothing more. They know exactly that at least part of the focus will be at the Joe and the Red Wings this weekend because of our last two games there. It's something to remind their donors that they are actually doing something and maybe recruiting some new. It's nothing I take serious. PETA has some bigger fish to fry (a vegan one of course) if they get the chance to actually change something.

14 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I prefer my version of PETA, People Eating Tasty Animals

I asked a PETA member who was talking about how bad it is to raise animals and how they should all be shut down immediately what would happen to all the animals if they got their way.  She said it wasn't realistic to expect them to be shut down immediately.  So you're asking for unrealistic things?  YOU JUST DON'T GET IT!!!!!

Sorry, but the logic of this make no sense.  Seems like she was saying that you wouldn't have consider your hypothetical situation because the more realistic course would be a gradual phasing out of the practice. 

As for the octopi, even if people like the tradition, - which I do - I think we can all agree that it is a waste. It doesn't rank high in the realm of animal cruelty or food waste, but it's still something. It's not usually that many, but the record is 36 octopi in one game. I think PETA chose to speak about it now because there's been a lot of speculation that the final game at the Joe there's surely going to be a lot thrown. And it makes sense that PETA would say something about it because it has higher profile in the media and people pay attention more to it. Also, maybe their thinking is that having a fine announced beforehand would dissuade fans and keep the number within reason.

Or maybe the wings can find some use for them after their cleanup. Hard to think what that would be, though, since they've been unrefridgerated for a while.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

38 minutes ago, puckbags said:

I believe that's 2 on the ice so far today. Nice work Wings fans.  Anytime now a PETA protester will be hanging from the rafters of the Joe protesting and holding up the game. 

38 minutes ago, puckbags said:

I believe that's 2 on the ice so far today. Nice work Wings fans.  Anytime now a PETA protester will be hanging from the rafters of the Joe protesting and holding up the game. 

Peta activist are so hipster they're far far faaar away from Detroit.

if it was the west coast, though...

19 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

Peta activist are so hipster they're far far faaar away from Detroit.

if it was the west coast, though...

Lol.  Haven't been downtown lately huh?  Gentrification is in full effect, even in Detroit. 

3 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Lol.  Haven't been downtown lately huh?  Gentrification is in full effect, even in Detroit. 

I was there last January, guess they all were downsouth back then

And did stay around west grand blvd, near Rosa Parks and the Motown museum, that area sure needs some revitalization, not just your "fancy" downtown with a one way people mover

Edited by NerveDamage