• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kliq

Kings fire Sutter & Lombardi

Rate this topic

Very small chance these two are brought in. MAYBE Sutter, but no way Illitch gets rid of Holland unless he's bringing in Yzerman. Plus, with Yzerman's future still in doubt in TB (ie. no ext signed) I cant see Illitch bringing in another GM because if Holland stepped down, Lomardi was brought in, then Yzerman became available, this fan base would lose their s***.

We don't need Lombardi, he's not an upgrade over Holland.

Sutter is a great coach though and I like him.

To throw a curveball at everyone though. People talk about how Blashill is a bad coach because he can't get the best out of his players. That's basically the issue Sutter had this year with the Kings too btw. 

Edited by kickazz

42 minutes ago, kickazz said:

To throw a curveball at everyone though. People talk about how Blashill is a bad coach because he can't get the best out of his players. That's basically the issue Sutter had this year with the Kings too btw. 

Not the first time either.  After winning the cup in 2014, they missed the playoffs altogether the very next season with largely the same roster.  No thanks to Sutter (although I do think he's an upgrade over Blashill).

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

You make a very valid point, you could argue Sutter was not able to get a Stanley Cup caliber team even into the playoffs. It's the grass is greener mentality. If the Wings ever let go of Holland, I guarantee a ton of teams and fan bases would be screaming for their teams to get him. 

Edited by kliq

You make a very valid point, you could argue Sutter was not able to get a Stanley Cup caliber team even into the playoffs. It's the grass is greener mentality. If the Wings ever let go of Holland, I guarantee a ton of teams and fan bases would be screaming for their teams to get him. 

Then good luck and great for them.

Lombardi did build a team that's Leon the cup twice in the last 5 years. The guy won't be unemployed for long.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

The 1st order of business for Luc Robitaille is to go 'retro' circa 1980's...

Kings13.png

Maybe it's the Packer fan in me, but my god these things are hideous. Worst color scheme ever.

7 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Then good luck and great for them.

Lombardi did build a team that's Leon the cup twice in the last 5 years. The guy won't be unemployed for long.

I'm sure bitter Kings fans are saying the same thing.

Would you prefer this?

Kings22.png

Well some franchises want to win the cup more than anything, others have fallen down the priority line thanks to a baseball team I guess...

And yes the black white ones are looking so much better than the new ones.

Lombardi is one of the best GMs in the game I'm shocked that the Isles aren't all over this.

I'm sure bitter Kings fans are saying the same thing.

So what? Kings ownership thought changes need to happen and so they did. Whether it's for better or worse has to be seen but it doesn't change the fact that Lombardi, Sutter would be a huge upgrade

3 hours ago, amato said:

I wonder if Quick/Bishop is the best goalie tandem to ever miss the playoffs :P 

It's up there for sure. Maybe they should have stuck with Budaj, the guy who saved their season (up until Quick returned and they traded him for Bishop) and was easily their MVP. But instead Lombardi panicked and sent him packing like he didn't do a damn thing for them. Karma sucks, huh Dean?

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

So what? Kings ownership thought changes need to happen and so they did. Whether it's for better or worse has to be seen but it doesn't change the fact that Lombardi, Sutter would be a huge upgrade

Going back to my original point of the grass is always greener, your just helping me make my point Frank. LA's "garbage" is an "upgrade" for us, our "garbage" would be an "upgrade" for other teams. It's the nature of sports.Holland is let go, fans of other teams would say the same thing as what you are saying right now about Lombardi.

I hope what this shows people (though I know it won't) is that in today's NHL parity is ridiculous and every team will go through ups and down's more then ever. Even a GM/coach that are perceived as some of the best in the league are turned on by their fan base/ownership. A team can go from being a cup winner to not making the playoffs (LA) in a season, and a team can go from being at the bottom of the standing (Columbus) to being a contender in one season.

18 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

If anything - Lombardi/Sutter would bring in some fresh ideas, and might do well, or possibly not...Sometimes change is good...Sometimes.

I agree with this. I am open to change when it is an upgrade or at worst a lateral move. My issue is when certain people make it sound like change is ALWAYS better regardless of who you are bringing in.

48 minutes ago, kliq said:

Going back to my original point of the grass is always greener, your just helping me make my point Frank. LA's "garbage" is an "upgrade" for us, our "garbage" would be an "upgrade" for other teams. It's the nature of sports.Holland is let go, fans of other teams would say the same thing as what you are saying right now about Lombardi.

I hope what this shows people (though I know it won't) is that in today's NHL parity is ridiculous and every team will go through ups and down's more then ever. Even a GM/coach that are perceived as some of the best in the league are turned on by their fan base/ownership. A team can go from being a cup winner to not making the playoffs (LA) in a season, and a team can go from being at the bottom of the standing (Columbus) to being a contender in one season.

Like I said and I even agreed with you, I'm sure other fanbases would and guess what? I would be happy for them AND Holland. Sometimes a voice can became stale and it's time for new ideas and personally I think that's exactly where the Wings are right now. The core of the golden age minus Z and Kronwall is all but gone, the front office - as of now hasn't really changed - and that's all I'm saying.

Do I believe other teams would be thrilled to sign a guy with Holland's curiculum? For sure but I would also be thrilled to see the as you call it "LAs garbage" running the Wings.

And no, the grass isn't always greener but when there is an obvious upgrade a franchise that's serious about returning to the golden days has to at least talk to these guys. Only exception being if the captain would be willing to return in 1 year to fix and then spend a lot of time fixing this team.