• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

kickazz

Chris Illitch speaks: Holland will stay - Blashill's future is up to Holland.

Rate this topic

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/04/11/detroit-red-wings-ken-holland/100320802/

Chris Illitch: 

We are all disappointed in this season -- from an ownership perspective, I know Ken Holland is disappointed, our coaching staff is disappointed.... Having said that, we have 100% confidence in Ken Holland. He is an excellent general manager and executive vice president.”

Ilitch also said head coach Jeff Blashill's future is up to Holland. Blashill has two years left on his contract and will return next season.

So that settles it for everyone. 

Edited by kickazz

Maybe after back to back bottom 10 finishes management will get that Holland isn't the answer anymore. The Kings miss the playoffs after two cups in 5 years and clean out Lombardi and Sutter, we make the playoffs on the last day of the season for three years in a row then bottom out and no changes are planned. Funny how things work.

Franchise 1: 2 cups in 5 years

Franchise 2: zero cups, basically first round exit bound

One fires their coach and GM and the other one is happy with status quo, go figure.

Oh well if Chris doesn't bring in in Stevie next year it will be clear that he doesn't have the same drive for excellence like his dad did.

Good to see Chris has no idea what's going on. In what sense is Ken Holland an excellent gm? He hasn't made any remarkable moves, he's sticking with a coach who can't seem to figure it out (while there are some very good coaches up for grabs out there right now). We haven't even efficiently declined into mediocrity, assets have been wasted on numerous occasions. Disheartening to hear that Chris is content maintaining the status quo, being below average.

1 minute ago, Wheelchairsuperhero said:

Good to see Chris has no idea what's going on. In what sense is Ken Holland an excellent gm? He hasn't made any remarkable moves, he's sticking with a coach who can't seem to figure it out (while there are some very good coaches up for grabs out there right now). We haven't even efficiently declined into mediocrity, assets have been wasted on numerous occasions. Disheartening to hear that Chris is content maintaining the status quo, being below average.

Well he has his taxpayers financed arena, full of LC promotion and another team paying to play in a hockey barn. So money won't be an issue for him and his family for decades. One can just hope it's lip service and he will go all in on Stevie because by the time Chris realizes that Lombardi was available he'll be the GM of another team.

Oh well at least now I know it's clear that next season will be the same s*** as the last few years, so lot's of games to fall asleep and no stars, superstars coming to the rescue.

Edited by frankgrimes

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

One fires their coach and GM and the other one is happy with status quo, go figure.

Oh well if Chris doesn't bring in in Stevie next year it will be clear that he doesn't have the same drive for excellence like his dad did.

If you're comparing how the 2 franchises handle firings, L.A. missed the playoffs 2 years ago and didn't fire GM and owner. But anyways, a team like L.A. who is armed with the assets from missing the playoff 6 years in a row should be judged differently the Wings. 

A closer comparison would be The Devils' handling of Lou Lamoriello after their long playoff streak ended. He got 3 years of not making the playoffs before he moved to a different position and another GM took over. If we don't turn things around in a couple of years, I expect something similar.

2 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Mike Illitch most certainly would not have let Holland go in order to bring Yzerman back.

I'm not sure Yzerman even wants to come back anyways, there has been no indication that is the case

FYI this is Holland's last contract year. He should technically be getting an extension this summer.

If he doesn't it could potentially mean this is the one and only year they are giving him a chance. 

So to all the Holland haters, relax, he might not be around forever as you may presume. 

Maybe Chris Illitch is pulling a PR stunt and not much for panic. Maybe not giving Holland an extension could end up being an indirect way of saying "you've got a year to show us something".

I would wait to see till the end of the summer. 

Edited by kickazz

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Per Ansar, Kronwall 100% returning next season as well

Really? Not surprising if it's true. The guy obviously doesn't know when enough is enough. If he looked at his stats from this season and saw that he was a liability and negative presence on the ice and his blunders and mobility issues resulted in quite a few goals against and still won't hang em up before he completely ruins any good memories fans have of him, the Wings are screwed. Honestly, the ONLY player on the team who should be able to control his own future with the team is Z. Kronwall needs to sit or go to GR and help out down there. Just ridiculous.

I hope Holland isn't re-signed. Finish your contract and GTFO. Putting Blashill's future in Holland's hands pretty much guarantees he'll be back for at least next season, despite the obvious problem that he's in over his head and has no idea what he's doing.

Just now, F.Michael said:

Don't forget Ericsson will also be healthy, and rearing to go.

Yeah there's over ten million in combined salary owed to those two that Illitch may as well throw in his fireplace and watch it burn. Not like that money gets him anything useful.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Per Ansar, Kronwall 100% returning next season as well

on a 50% functioning knee, yippee

oh well by now none of us have realistic expectations of making the playoffs any time soon

just hope it'll be entertaining to finally let the kids play and the vets sit

1 hour ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

If you're comparing how the 2 franchises handle firings, L.A. missed the playoffs 2 years ago and didn't fire GM and owner. But anyways, a team like L.A. who is armed with the assets from missing the playoff 6 years in a row should be judged differently the Wings. 

A closer comparison would be The Devils' handling of Lou Lamoriello after their long playoff streak ended. He got 3 years of not making the playoffs before he moved to a different position and another GM took over. If we don't turn things around in a couple of years, I expect something similar.

Sure let's prolong the rebuild even further. Like I said if this season doesn't tell even the most rose colored glasses wearing people what needs to happen nothing will.

Bolded part doesn't make things different because Wings could have done the same and the would have some young studs in the lineup right now.

26 minutes ago, WingsallTheway said:

Mike Illitch most certainly would not have let Holland go in order to bring Yzerman back.

I'm not sure Yzerman even wants to come back anyways, there has been no indication that is the case

See and this is why missing out on Lombardi could backfire there won't be a better GM available anytime soon if Yzerman decides to sign an extension in Tampa. Lombardi has gone through a rebuild and succesfully finished it of with 2 stanley cups.

We well see if Chris is pulling a PR stunt or not maybe it's a show me year for almost everyone in the organization and if it doesn't work out, he will go full Shanahan. I just hope Chris will veto any longterm contracts to veterans. The wings need to sign guys to year contracts and PTOS and then flip them for picks at the trade dead line.

Edited by frankgrimes

3 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Sure let's prolong the rebuild even further. Like I said if this season doesn't tell even the most rose colored glasses wearing people what needs to happen nothing will.

Bolded part doesn't make things different because Wings could have done the same and the would have some young studs in the lineup right now.

See and this is why missing out on Lombardi could backfire there won't be a better GM available anytime soon if Yzerman decides to sign an extension in Tampa. Lombardi has gone through a rebuild and succesfully finished it of with 2 stanley cups.

We well see if Chris is pulling a PR stunt or not maybe it's a show me year for almost everyone in the organization and if it doesn't work out, he will go full Shanahan. I just hope Chris will veto any longterm contracts to veterans. The wings need to sign guys to year contracts and PTOS and then flip them for picks at the trade dead line.

So Frank, how is your tanking strategy working for Buffao, Arizona, Colorado, Carolina, Florida? You really seem to believe that tanking guarantees success, maybe those rose colored glasses you always talk about are looking back at you in the mirror. 

9 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

So our GM should be fired for missing the playoffs once, but we also should have missed the playoffs 6 years in a row so that we'd have the young studs that the KIngs have? You must see how that doesn't work out. 

1 minute ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

So our GM should be fired for missing the playoffs once, but we also should have missed the playoffs 6 years in a row so that we'd have the young studs that the KIngs have? You must see how that doesn't work out. 

You can't bring logic to an emotional argument. 

So Frank, how is your tanking strategy working for Buffao, Arizona, Colorado, Carolina, Florida? You really seem to believe that tanking guarantees success, maybe those rose colored glasses you always talk about are looking back at you in the mirror. 

So Kliq how is your keep the streak alive at all costs strategy working? Florida, Arizona and Colorado are internal budget teams and if Sakic moves one of the big 3 for a top pairing defenseman plus lands Suter or Gallant the Avalanche could be back very soon.

I would easily change this roster for Buffalo's. You really seem to think keeping the status quo and hoping to strike gold is going to guarantee success. Well newsflash each time is scouring the top European leagues now so no more hiding top players in the later rounds.