• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2017 WCQF: Calgary Flames vs. Anaheim Ducks

Rate this topic

Let me preface this by saying, I would never speak negatively of the Detroit Red Wings #1 starting goalie Jimmy Howard. He is a superior athlete and fantastic goal tender. I will love him and praise his name always.

However, with this sweep and Elliot's season... This may be an opportunity to move Jimmy Howard...

On 2017-04-18 at 2:10 AM, kylee said:

He's been a huge part of their power play and success overall. Had a career year this year including 30 goals (between Dallas and Anaheim) Ducks are coming out of the west. 

Yeah I figured his high goal total was simply a product of playing with Benn and Seguin, which it probably was in part. But he's kept going since being traded. Why couldn't he score like this in Detroit? Hard to score when your healthy scratch or injured though I guess.

On 2017-04-20 at 6:02 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Let me preface this by saying, I would never speak negatively of the Detroit Red Wings #1 starting goalie Jimmy Howard. He is a superior athlete and fantastic goal tender. I will love him and praise his name always.

However, with this sweep and Elliot's season... This may be an opportunity to move Jimmy Howard...

#1 starting goalie? If you say so.

But yeah, Elliott won't be re-signed after the season he had. He did well the last half but had a horrendous start and was lit up in the playoffs. I know the Flames had high expectations for him after his play in St. Louis, but Calgary isn't St. Louis. He was counted on to do a lot more behind a worse defence and couldn't get it done. Calgary will protect Johnson in the XDraft and maybe look for a veteran goalie at the entry draft. They could have had Howard last year, but Elliott was cheaper and had only one year left on his contract.

Edited by chaps80

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

#1 starting goalie? If you say so.

But yeah, Elliott won't be re-signed after the season he had. He did well the last half but had a horrendous start and was lit up in the playoffs. I know the Flames had high expectations for him after his play in St. Louis, but Calgary isn't St. Louis. He was counted on to do a lot more behind a worse defence and couldn't get it done. Calgary will protect Johnson in the XDraft and maybe look for a veteran goalie at the entry draft. They could have had Howard last year, but Elliott was cheaper and had only one year left on his contract.

I can only imagine how much better their season would have been if they had traded for Howard instead. Fortunately, Ken Holland isnt that stupid.

18 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I can only imagine how much better their season would have been if they had traded for Howard instead. Fortunately, Ken Holland isnt that stupid.

Possibly. They had other problems besides goaltending though. And they could have put Johnson in for Game 4 to change things up if they wanted to, but they stuck with Elliott even though he was struggling. 

And Holland wanted to trade Howard last offseason, but there was no interest. So I don't get why you say he "isn't that stupid".

On 4/20/2017 at 6:02 PM, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I love how you wrote this :lol:

On 4/25/2017 at 0:55 PM, NerveDamage said:

2017 Flames Playoff jersey

C-M2tS1XoAEHVf-.jpg

Ok so all of you can hate but I hate the flames C with the flames.  It looks like 3rd grader came up with this.

On 2017-04-18 at 11:49 AM, NerveDamage said:

It's a cycle, don't forget this "Gems"

kingsthirdjersey.jpg

27e9c0e26c1d2c0b.jpg

anaheimthirdjerseysmall.jpg

coyotes3rd.jpg

But getting bakc to your point, I totally agree. Hate how they try to give a sporty look to sweaters and make them just waaay to noisy, for my taste. CBJ, Caps, Anaheim, Calgary, Ottawa's previous unis. the list goes on and on. 

I was thinking about the sharks teal uni and was thinking they could use a thick solid orange stripe somewhere along the elbows, the current thin one, just doesn't cut it for me.

Every era has its own  WTF sweater design.

My god I forgot about that old Coyotes logo. WTF were they thinking? Did they have kindergarten kids enter a contest to draw the thing? f*** lol

26 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

I love how you wrote this :lol:

Ok so all of you can hate but I hate the flames C with the flames.  It looks like 3rd grader came up with this.

Ya, not the best logo, but those jerseys are classic. 1989 Stanley Cup was won in those with Lanny MacDonald, Theo Fleury, Al MacInnis, and Mike Vernon leading the way.

Damn, I just looked at the roster they had. That team was stacked!! Doug GIlmour, Joe Nieuwendyk, Gary Roberts, Joe Mullen, Joel Otto, Hakan Loob, Mark Hunter, Jiri Hrdina, Gary Suter, Rob Ramage...list goes on.

Edited by chaps80

10 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

Yeeeesh but the bad part for me was that flaming C is still the logo for the Flames.  

Always will be. It was a continuation of the Flaming A from the Atlanta Flames before they relocated to Calgary. Dunno what else they'd use. They did have the fire breathing bull logo as their third jersey at one time. Lol

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Always will be. It was a continuation of the Flaming A from the Atlanta Flames before they relocated to Calgary. Dunno what else they'd use. They did have the fire breathing bull logo as their third jersey at one time. Lol

it's supposed to be a horse

10 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Flames were only team from the Campbell Conference that gave the Oilers any trouble throughout the 80's.

Gotta love Hunter's crazy bent nose...

cut.jpg

Yeah Tim and Mark Hunter both played on that team. No relation to Mark and his two brothers who also played in the league.

His nose is still messed up like that. Haha

Edited by chaps80

5 minutes ago, Hockeymom1960 said:

The C with the flames.   The one they're using now

lol, for a second there lost track of the convo and got confused, you were talking about the sunrise design.

I think that Kesler pic blew a fuse in my brain... :blink:

or damaged some sort of nerve...

Edited by NerveDamage