• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

LeftWinger

Ken Holland on 97.1 this morning.

Rate this topic

Any idea on who gets protected? 

KH did say 7f-3d-1g and hinted at Petr, Z and Kronwall (I think) 

So AA, Mantha Larkin should be a no brainer and 3 more forwards

Green and  does Jensen need to be protected? 

Edited by NerveDamage

Mrazek
Kronwall, Dekeyser, Green
Zetterberg, Nielsen (nmc), Tatar, Nyquist, AA, Mantha, one of Sheahan, Helm, Abdelkader. I'd protect Sheahan and hope they take a bad contract. Wouldn't shock me if he exposes AA.

I think Larkin is exempt

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Mrazek
Zetterberg, Nielsen (nmc), Tatar, Nyquist, AA, Mantha, one of Sheahan, Helm, Abdelkader. I'd protect Sheahan and hope they take a bad contract. Wouldn't shock me if he exposes AA.

I think Larkin is exempt

Why? He seems to like AA. 

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Mrazek

I think Larkin is exempt

You're right, Larkin is exempt.

20 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Mrazek

I think Larkin is exempt

Well, it'd shock me. 

13 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

is Mantha exempt?

Unfortunately no.

Players exempt are:

EXEMPT AGE POS CAP HIT EXPIRY
INJ Franzen, Johan 37 RW $3,954,545 UFA (2020)
INJ Vitale, Joe 31 C $1,116,667 UFA (2017)
Larkin, Dylan 20 C $925,000 RFA (2018)
Svechnikov, Evgeny 20 LW $894,167 RFA (2019)
Sadowy, Dylan 21 LW $880,833 RFA (2019)
Smith, Givani 19 LW $725,833 RFA (2019)
Holmström, Axel 20 C $686,667 RFA (2019)
Turgeon, Dominic 21 C $686,667 RFA (2019)
Bertuzzi, Tyler 22 LW $661,667 RFA (2018)
Nastasiuk, Zach 22 RW $647,500 RFA (2018)
Lorito, Matt 26 LW $637,500 UFA (2018)
Renouf, Daniel 22 D $767,500 RFA (2018)
Hronek, Filip 19 D $725,833 RFA (2019)
Saarijärvi, Vili 19 D $686,667 RFA (2019)
Russo, Robbie 24 D $680,000 RFA (2017)
Hicketts, Joe 20 D $635,000 RFA (2019)
Cholowski, Dennis 19 D $925,000 RFA (2020)
Paterson, Jake 22 G $628,333 RFA (2017)

31 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Blash doesn't

Sure. :innocent:

AA will be protected. 

--------------

My prediction is:

Zetterberg, Nielsen (NMC), AA, Mantha, Nyquist, Tatar, Abdekader

Kronwall, Green, Dekeyser/Jensen

Mrazek 

Edited by kickazz

17 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

Maybe Ken Holland saw all of this coming and that's why he overpayed some players, so Vegas wouldn't go for them and. in some way, "protecting" them.

Wouldnt suprise me. Ken is usually 10 steps ahead. Playing 4D Chess.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

He said he hopes AA can continue to develope next year and become even more important to this team. He's being protected. He also said there will be lots of possible movement before the draft, so why would he leave him unprotected and possibly lose him for free, if he could trade him for a very nice return? Not that I think he'll do either, but most definitely if he's not part of your future trade him instead of giving him away to Vegas.

I give Holland a lot of crappie, but I really don't think he's that stupid. 

Two of the dumbest things he could do that would stain his legacy here is lose AA to expansion and then draft a player in a position we don't need with a top 10 pick. Do you think he WANTS to get fired?

Edited by LeftWinger

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Mrazek

Green, Jensen, DeKeyser

Mantha, Athanasiou, Zetterberg, Helm, Sheahan, Nosek, Nielsen

Why protect a bad contract?  Losing any of Nyquist, Howard, Abdelkader, Tatar, Kronwall, and Ericsson would be a blessing.

Its funny how people are still trying to go with this narrative. 4.75 million for a guy who scored 52 points this year isn't a bad contract by a long shot.Not sure how Tatar's contract is bad considering he isn't even signed yet. Wanting to leave these two exposed while protecting Nosek should lose your right to ever judge Holland again lol.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/04/12/detroit-red-wings-ken-holland/100377410/

More Holland.

My thoughts:

They need a rebuild.  Period.  Even if it takes 5+ years, it's needed, because what he's doing isn't going to get them a Cup.

If a GM is competent and drafts properly, getting high picks is a good way to build a team.  It doesn't worth if you're like Edmonton and just keep taking one way forwards.  Maybe Holland doesn't believe he can do that.

AA, Mantha, and probably a couple guys in GR are better than some of the guys in Detroit who played more than the kids.  Sheahan should have been a regular scratch by the half way point.  Abdlekader, Helm, and Glendening shouldn't have had as much ice time as they did.  Kronwall needed to play less just to be somewhat effective with his bad knee.  Ericsson is crap.  The kids ARE better than the guys getting more ice time.

A young group sprinkled with a few veteran leaders can be exciting and is going to be something to build on.  You don't need a team full of Helms, Glendenings, Ericssons.

Blashill hasn't gotten the most out of the players.

A lot of fans don't like seeing a team back into the playoffs and get blown out.

Hoping that you're going to get more guys like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Homer in the late rounds is a lot like using craigslist to find your future wife.

He hasn't brought in a meaningful player through a trade in a long long time.  I won't hold my breath he'll do it now.  There should be plenty of partners if he truly wants to do it.

More of the same from Holland. His plan is to try to get into the playoffs next season, and he's still thinking about free agency? LOL This guy needs to go now.

His expansion draft strategy should be to force Vegas to take a bad contract. He won't need any sweetener draft picks to do that.

Nielson, Zetterberg, Athanasiou, Mantha, Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Larkin(exempt)

Oulette, Jensen, Green

Mrazek

With that protected list, it leaves Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Sproul, Howard, Coreau.

So they can take Sproul, hoping a change helps him reach his potential, but they will have other options on D with a decent NHL career in the books that can help right away. Don't see it. As for Coreau, he's shown he's not NHL ready, and they will have much better options in goal. I think they'd snag Howard before him if they were to take one of the two.

Out of the veteran contracts, I see Helm or MAYBE Abdelkader taken.

At the trade deadline, swap Green for picks and try to convince Nielson to waive his NMC and then shop him. I'm sure at 33 he'd like a shot at a Cup. He'll probably be impossible to move, but Holland should try. Ditto for Howard if he can stay healthy and play well. Again though, probably unmovable.

More of the same from Holland. His plan is to try to get into the playoffs next season, and he's still thinking about free agency? LOL This guy needs to go now.
His expansion draft strategy should be to force Vegas to take a bad contract. He won't need any sweetener draft picks to do that.
Nielson, Zetterberg, Athanasiou, Mantha, Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan, Larkin(exempt)
Oulette, Jensen, Green
Mrazek
With that protected list, it leaves Abdelkader, Helm, Glendening, Kronwall, Ericsson, DeKeyser, Sproul, Howard, Coreau.
So they can take Sproul, hoping a change helps him reach his potential, but they will have other options on D with a decent NHL career in the books that can help right away. Don't see it. As for Coreau, he's shown he's not NHL ready, and they will have much better options in goal. I think they'd snag Howard before him if they were to take one of the two.
Out of the veteran contracts, I see Helm or MAYBE Abdelkader taken.
At the trade deadline, swap Green for picks and try to convince Nielson to waive his NMC and then shop him. I'm sure at 33 he'd like a shot at a Cup. He'll probably be impossible to move, but Holland should try. Ditto for Howard if he can stay healthy and play well. Again though, probably unmovable.

Nielsen only has a nmc the first year. If a team is dumb enough to take him he can be moved once the new league year starts.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

...If a GM is competent and drafts properly, getting high picks is a good way to build a team.  It doesn't worth if you're like Edmonton and just keep taking one way forwards.  Maybe Holland doesn't believe he can do that.

AA, Mantha, and probably a couple guys in GR are better than some of the guys in Detroit who played more than the kids.  Sheahan should have been a regular scratch by the half way point.  Abdlekader, Helm, and Glendening shouldn't have had as much ice time as they did.  Kronwall needed to play less just to be somewhat effective with his bad knee.  Ericsson is crap.  The kids ARE better than the guys getting more ice time.

A young group sprinkled with a few veteran leaders can be exciting and is going to be something to build on.  You don't need a team full of Helms, Glendenings, Ericssons.

Blashill hasn't gotten the most out of the players.

A lot of fans don't like seeing a team back into the playoffs and get blown out.

Hoping that you're going to get more guys like Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Homer in the late rounds is a lot like using craigslist to find your future wife.

He hasn't brought in a meaningful player through a trade in a long long time.  I won't hold my breath he'll do it now.  There should be plenty of partners if he truly wants to do it.

Getting high picks is a good way to get good players, but high picks alone will not build a team. Edmonton's failure wasn't wasting their top picks. It was everything else. The biggest problem with their top picks was that they didn't have the top picks in the years the best defensemen were available.

You won't find a successful team that hasn't had a lot of luck in finding players that turn out better than would have been expected. Late draft picks, players producing above their skill level, cast-offs from other teams, etc. Then there is also luck to get the high picks at the time when the right players are available. That is the what makes rebuilds take a long time. Not GM incompetence.

Our problems this year were not the result of a AA getting a few less shifts than he maybe should have. Mantha was near the top of our forwards in ice time, only dropping a bit later in the year. Plus we had a better record without Mantha than with him.

This whole "ice time/misusing players" thing is just as exaggerated as the "everyone is way below their normal production". 

7 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Nielsen only has a nmc the first year. If a team is dumb enough to take him he can be moved once the new league year starts.

He has a full NMC next season too. His modified NTC kicks in 2018-19.

58 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

FWIW, I'm with Chaps above with his take on exposing as many "bad contracts" as possible in order force Vages' hand into possibly taking one.

Wouldn't work, unfortunately.

We may expose some bad contracts, but in any and every conceivable scenario, we'll also be exposing some reasonable contracts. If we're going to get Vegas to take on one of our albatross contracts, it's going to have to be a trade scenario, i.e. "We'll give you [x] and in exchange you take [y] off our hands." I don't see that happening, though.

Edited by Dabura

15 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Wouldn't work, unfortunately.

We may expose some bad contracts, but in any and every conceivable scenario, we'll also be exposing some reasonable contracts. If we're going to get Vegas to take on one of our albatross contracts, it's going to have to be a trade scenario, i.e. "We'll give you [x] and in exchange you take [y] off our hands." I don't see that happening, though.

Exactly this. And it definitely will happen, just not so sure Holland will do it...