• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Targets for the Wings

Rate this topic

The D will be better once Green, Kronwall, and Errorsson are gone. They're holding better guys in the system from moving up to the big team, or preventing them from taking top roles. Oulette, Jensen should already be in those places permanently. The roster is so f***ed by Holland's willy nilly money tossing it's unreal. Highest cap in the league with IR and buyouts and finished 24th. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How does Green keep getting lumped in with the dead weight on defense. The guy is still productive and currently this teams only capable defenseman. He's not holding any younger plays back. I haven't seen anyone on the Wings or the Griffins that can move the puck and contribute offensively like Green. I'm hoping some of the kids like Hronek, Saarijarvi, and Sambrook can become solid two way defenseman but they are realistically a couple years away and Green will be gone by then.

3 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

How does Green keep getting lumped in with the dead weight on defense. The guy is still productive and currently this teams only capable defenseman. He's not holding any younger plays back. I haven't seen anyone on the Wings or the Griffins that can move the puck and contribute offensively like Green. I'm hoping some of the kids like Hronek, Saarijarvi, and Sambrook can become solid two way defenseman but they are realistically a couple years away and Green will be gone by then.

Cause his defensive game is pretty bad for a guy who picked defence as his position. If he wanted to score goals he should have played wing.

15 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

The D will be better once Green, Kronwall, and Errorsson are gone. They're holding better guys in the system from moving up to the big team, or preventing them from taking top roles. Oulette, Jensen should already be in those places permanently. The roster is so f***ed by Holland's willy nilly money tossing it's unreal. Highest cap in the league with IR and buyouts and finished 24th. Lol

E and Kronwall you are right, but lets not lump Green into that group as he's at a completely different level in 2017 then those two.

22 minutes ago, kliq said:

E and Kronwall you are right, but lets not lump Green into that group as he's at a completely different level in 2017 then those two.

Offensively, light years. Defensively, which is what I mean by defence, not by much.

He's not a top two-way guy like Rafalski and obv not Lidstrom.

Edited by chaps80

20 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Cause his defensive game is pretty bad for a guy who picked defence as his position. If he wanted to score goals he should have played wing.

This team has so many D that contribute nothing to the offense. Green gets the puck and moves it up ice out of our zone. Sure he's not the greatest defensively but who on this team is? Yea he makes mistakes but that's what happens when you have the puck all the time.

2 minutes ago, BinMucker94 said:

This team has so many D that contribute nothing to the offense. Green gets the puck and moves it up ice out of our zone. Sure he's not the greatest defensively but who on this team is? Yea he makes mistakes but that's what happens when you have the puck all the time.

Green would be good on a pairing with a great stay at home Dman. But we don't have one. No one can cover his defensive brain farts, which the team cannot afford.

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Green would be good on a pairing with a great stay at home Dman. But we don't have one. No one can cover his defensive brain farts, which the team cannot afford.

Exactly, but it's not his fault that the team has not provided him with the proper partner. Green on a 2nd pairing with a great defensive d-man who can pitch in offense would be a perfect use of his skill set. He is a valuable asset, we just need to utilize him properly. I can't say the same for Kronwall (due to injuries) or E.

7 hours ago, chaps80 said:

No, Green would be good on the line with guys who will support him moving the puck avoiding stupid turnovers in neutral zone and disturbing opponent combinations in o-zone. With these guys the first idea should be how to maximize their abilities and output based on their play, somewhere on the third or fourth place should be the concern how to cover their brain farts. Means - without the possession you´re only solving the consequence. 

I´m just asking myself, whether Wings coaching staff is able to drive real pmd or not. What I can see now is more like "You shall not pass!!! .. your own circle with the puck" system. 

8 hours ago, chaps80 said:

So because we don't have a great stay at home defenseman, that makes our top offensive defenseman expendable? That makes zero sense. Why not just go out and get that stay at home defenseman to pair with him? Green has been great for us, and well worth his contract, and as long as he keeps up that same level of play this season, he should fetch us a very nice return at the deadline. So no, he should not be viewed in the same light as Kronwall and Ericsson, not even close.

I cut and pasted my post from the Shatty thread because it is probably more to thus topic.

I think this is what I'd rather do:

Skip shatty, let some kids develop for this season, throw my big money at UFA Cam Fowler. Because if I'm giving $7M to someone, I'd rather it be him. If we sign Shatty, we'll have to dump even more cap next year to try for Fowler. For the money, Fowler is worth it.

Also, is still like to dump about $12M-$14M in salary in preparation for our RFA's and moving forward.

I wouldn't mind trying to flip Green now for an extra 1st, like mentioned to maybe Edmonton. 

Not saying it's Green's fault that he has a much more offensive approach to the defensive position. That's how he was taught to play I'm guessing. He just doesn't fit on this current Wings team with the major black hole on defense.

He's like Nielson. A complimentary piece to an already rock solid lineup to boost offence for a good playoff run. If the proper foundation isn't there, they don't produce, or their weaknesses are quickly exposed.

Green will bring a great return at the deadline from a contender, and that's reason to protect him in the XDraft, but if he gets injured, that's not happening. If he's unprotected, does Vegas jump on him? Would he even want to stay there past next season, and would they chance wasting their Detroit pick on him?Questions. So many.

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Not saying it's Green's fault that he has a much more offensive approach to the defensive position. That's how he was taught to play I'm guessing. He just doesn't fit on this current Wings team with the major black hole on defense.

He's like Nielson. A complimentary piece to an already rock solid lineup to boost offence for a good playoff run. If the proper foundation isn't there, they don't produce, or their weaknesses are quickly exposed.

Green will bring a great return at the deadline from a contender, and that's reason to protect him in the XDraft, but if he gets injured, that's not happening. If he's unprotected, does Vegas jump on him? Would he even want to stay there past next season, and would they chance wasting their Detroit pick on him?Questions. So many.

Having an offensive approach to the defensive position isn't a "fault" and shouldn't ever be viewed that way. Smooth skating, puck moving defensemen are far more valuable in today's game than big, slow. shut down defensemen. The offense that Green brings to the game far outweighs any defensive lapses he may have. How does a player like Green not fit on this current Wings team? Green's biggest issue is that he's playing above his head at this point in his career (just like every other defenseman on the team), and he hasn't had a reliable partner to play with other than that short stint when DeKeyser was playing great hockey...

I'm hoping we can get a good return for him at or before next years trade deadline, but I'd also be okay with re-signing him to a similar type deal. He's by far our best defenseman and barring any major trades, likely would be for the next few seasons.

You can't base whether or not you should keep a player on him maybe getting injured. If Green were left unprotected (he won't be) Vegas would absolutely claim him. No question.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

As soon as someone offers a second rounder the guy should be gone. He is way too risky in his own end and that's the primary job of a defenseman.

4 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

As soon as someone offers a second rounder the guy should be gone. He is way too risky in his own end and that's the primary job of a defenseman.

Wouldn't you rather wait until the deadline and get a 1st round pick?

Why would this even matter to you anyways since you want to tank? If he is a liability like you are saying, we will lose more with him which is what you want....right? Why trade him for a 2nd now, when we can trade him for a 1st at the deadline? Don't you want a re-build? These comments seem more appropriate if our team was a contender.

Wouldn't you rather wait until the deadline and get a 1st round pick?
Why would this even matter to you anyways since you want to tank? If he is a liability like you are saying, we will lose more with him which is what you want....right? Why trade him for a 2nd now, when we can trade him for a 1st at the deadline? Don't you want a re-build? These comments seem more appropriate if our team was a contender.

one word: injury

would I prefer a first? Of course but I just don't see a team giving up a first for Green unless they are really desperate and him having a great season.

12 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

one word: injury

would I prefer a first? Of course but I just don't see a team giving up a first for Green unless they are really desperate and him having a great season.

But would they give up a first for an elite defenseman that helped his team to the Stanley Cup finals? Not a chump like Weber, I mean a guy like Subban? I would say yes. For Green and someone like Weber, no. 

I'd take the second rounder for Green.

18 hours ago, kickazz said:

But would they give up a first for an elite defenseman that helped his team to the Stanley Cup finals? Not a chump like Weber, I mean a guy like Subban? I would say yes. For Green and someone like Weber, no. 

I'd take the second rounder for Green.

LOL and LOL