• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Targets for the Wings

Rate this topic

52 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

He's an RFA. Where did you read he was on radar?

Would any of you guys trade the #9 for Fowler?

No. Would trade the #9 for an actual #1 D like Doughty (not a 2D that people think is as good as a 1D) along with Larkin and Tatar or something though. 

But realistically would trade the #9 with another player to trade up. 

Point is, if we're pulling trigger, at this point I'd rather do something big with a meaningful return and guaranteed results. Otherwise stack the picks. 

I'm starting to think long term is better for this team. Assuming we suck next year as well and get another high pick (a much better draft), the #9 this year plus next years pick can go a long way for us in 3-4 years time. 

Getting Fowler won't make us a competitor. But trading up this year and having another good pick next year, OR trading the #9 pick along in a package to get a crazy return would (and that scenario is near impossible because nobody wants to give up a Drew Doughty).

So we're left with keeping the #9 pick or trading up.

BTW I would trade trade Nyquist for Fowler. But not the pick. Not a chance. It's a game of poker and we have a decent hand. 

Edited by kickazz

On 5/25/2017 at 6:31 PM, frankgrimes said:

one word: injury

would I prefer a first? Of course but I just don't see a team giving up a first for Green unless they are really desperate and him having a great season.

I see your point about the injury, but I would take the chance.

There is no doubt in my mind that if Green was having a Green like season and stayed healthy he could land us a 1st rounder from a contender. Roman Polak got the Leafs a 2nd Rounder, Smith got us a 2nd rounder. That is the market at the trade deadline.

So sorry folks, forgot to put a ? at then end of my sentence above.

Columbus are in a tight spot with their cap and may have to let one of two players go , Wennberg and Anderson are both RFA who will want a raise. Out of the pair I'm guessing that they focus on Wennberg. I can see the Wings kicking tyres on Anderson as Sheahans replacement. Riley is prime for being a piece in a trade to get that D we require. One of our N/M Sheahan a young D/or prospect plus 2nd round pick for Trouba and Copp. That's my (hopeful) scenario. 

We don't need any more bottom 6 wingers. I doubt we trade Sheahan, but even if we lose him in the expansion draft, we shouldn't be relinquishing assets to add a bottom 6 guy. Either fill that spot internally (Bertuzzi / Nosek / Frk / Callahan) or sign a free agent. No thanks on Anderson.

37 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Maybe McIlrath will earn himself another contract...maybe a few call ups.

https://twitter.com/RedWingsFeed/status/869615683180441602

"We felt like he was the piece we needed," Griffins coach Todd Nelson said not long after McIlrath arrived.

"He's an animal," Griffins teammate Tyler Bertuzzi said. "I can't say anything else. He's been really good for us and steps up for us and he's a real big team guy."

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, krsmith17 said:

I say f*** it, next season we should run a 4th line / 3rd pairing of...

Bertuzzi - Tangradi - Smith

McKee - McIlrath

Now those guys would surely make everyone play a few inches taller ...

This made me think of an old puck I have from the 80's. Here's a pic of it I found on google.

Edited by LeftWinger

On 5/29/2017 at 9:27 AM, krsmith17 said:

We don't need any more bottom 6 wingers. I doubt we trade Sheahan, but even if we lose him in the expansion draft, we shouldn't be relinquishing assets to add a bottom 6 guy. Either fill that spot internally (Bertuzzi / Nosek / Frk / Callahan) or sign a free agent. No thanks on Anderson.

Not to say we should go after him, much less give up anything significant for him, but he had 17 goals and 29 points as a 23yo rookie playing 12 minutes a night. Maybe it was just a fluke being in a good situation in Columbus, but still. He looks to be more comparable to Athanasiou than the guys you mention.

On 5/29/2017 at 9:27 AM, krsmith17 said:

Agree with this. There was an article with TSN offseason's plan for us and they made a big deal about us needing veteran depth for the bottom and I did a facepalm. As it stands right now, there's only 1 spot up front prospects to make the team. Much rather try one of the guys you mention there or have a rotating call-up spots until someone claims it. 

11 hours ago, Buppy said:

Not to say we should go after him, much less give up anything significant for him, but he had 17 goals and 29 points as a 23yo rookie playing 12 minutes a night. Maybe it was just a fluke being in a good situation in Columbus, but still. He looks to be more comparable to Athanasiou than the guys you mention.

I'll admit that I don't know at ton about Anderson, but when I had a quick look at his numbers,I didn't see anything that stood out as a reason to target him. Aside from him having size, and being a right handed shot, there's nothing else intriguing to me. I'm not sure if he'll ever become anything more than a bottom 6 winger, but at this point, he isn't, and another bottom 6 winger is the last thing this team needs. Would I trade one of our current bottom 6 wingers in a straight up one for one deal? Maybe. Otherwise, no thanks.

42 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'll admit that I don't know at ton about Anderson, but when I had a quick look at his numbers,I didn't see anything that stood out as a reason to target him. Aside from him having size, and being a right handed shot, there's nothing else intriguing to me. I'm not sure if he'll ever become anything more than a bottom 6 winger, but at this point, he isn't, and another bottom 6 winger is the last thing this team needs. Would I trade one of our current bottom 6 wingers in a straight up one for one deal? Maybe. Otherwise, no thanks.

I'm just saying that categorizing him as nothing more than a bottom 6 winger with no potential is somewhat pessimistic. On average about 120 forwards will score 17+ goals in a season. 29 points falls a little short of top 6 production, but for a rookie playing 12 minutes a night on the 4th line it's very good. Top 6 doesn't mean what people think it means.

Similar to AA in age, usage, and production. If you think AA is, or has the potential to be, a top 6 player, you should think the same of Anderson. 

19 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I'm just saying that categorizing him as nothing more than a bottom 6 winger with no potential is somewhat pessimistic. On average about 120 forwards will score 17+ goals in a season. 29 points falls a little short of top 6 production, but for a rookie playing 12 minutes a night on the 4th line it's very good. Top 6 doesn't mean what people think it means.

Similar to AA in age, usage, and production. If you think AA is, or has the potential to be, a top 6 player, you should think the same of Anderson. 

Where did I say anything about him never becoming anything more than a bottom 6 winger, and having no potential? All I'm saying is that we don't have room for any more bottom 6 wingers. So like I said, if we're moving out one or two, sure I'd be interested, otherwise, there's no room, so no thanks. I'd rather keep the assets and play Nosek than give up the assets for a player that may or may not develop into a top 6 winger.