• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Targets for the Wings

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

de Haan is apparently in play and the Wings are supposedly very interested in him. 

I've heard this rumor as well. He's coming off a $2 million deal and he's RFA. He's going to get probably something between 3 and 4 million, maybe more? And we can't just sign him, will have to compensate NYI with picks. That I don't like.

He's also a pretty boring choice. He played the 2nd pairing and blocks a lot of shots and plays the PK. Other than that I don't find him very enticing, especially with the RFA status. 

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I've heard this rumor as well. He's coming off a $2 million deal and he's RFA. He's going to get probably something between 3 and 4 million, maybe more? And we can't just sign him, will have to compensate NYI with picks. That I don't like.

He's also a pretty boring choice. He played the 2nd pairing and blocks a lot of shots and plays the PK. Other than that I don't find him very enticing, especially with the RFA status. 

If we were to get him, I imagine it'd be a trade rather than an offer sheet. Don't know a ton about him but he's young and probably still improving.. if it doesn't cost too much, why not? I have no clue what it would cost though. 

2 minutes ago, amato said:

If we were to get him, I imagine it'd be a trade rather than an offer sheet. Don't know a ton about him but he's young and probably still improving.. if it doesn't cost too much, why not? I have no clue what it would cost though. 

Yeah I have no idea what the cost is there. Odd situation for NYI because they have to move him or lose him, and he's a hard player to judge value-wise.

He's 26, I'm thinking what you see is probably what you get with him at this point.

4 minutes ago, Son of a Wing said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a trade centered around Sheahan+ for De Haan.

Sheahan is worth less than De Haan's jock strap.

Edited by Nightfall

Pretty sure Islanders already have 7 forwards they'd want to protect, plus 5/6 defensemen. Tough spot for them. Tip too far toward "rebuild" and they increase the risk of losing Tavares, but trading for proven players doesn't help them in the expansion draft. Losing one of De Haan or Pulock to Vegas probably hurts them less than trying to trade their way out of losing someone. Also pretty tight on cap space.

But if they want to give us De Haan for a 3rd I'd do it.

1 minute ago, LeftWinger said:

Hmmmmm.....would be expensive, #9 pick involved for sure!

I doubt it will be us. Avs refused to trade us Quincey back when :lol: and I'm sure the one thing Sakic enjoyed this season was watching us miss the playoffs this year. Doubt he wants to help us get back in it.

14 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Duchene is a #2 center.  There's no way the Avs get a top 15 pick for him.

:brow:

I think you're undervaluing Duchene and/or overvaluing a top-15 pick in this draft. Don't be surprised if the Hurricanes or Islanders trade their 1st and a defenseman for Duchene.

7 hours ago, Dabura said:

:brow:

I think you're undervaluing Duchene and/or overvaluing a top-15 pick in this draft. Don't be surprised if the Hurricanes or Islanders trade their 1st and a defenseman for Duchene.

He's consistently been a 55-ish point a year player the last few years.  That's 2nd line production.  He's also coming off his worst year since 11-12 when he only played 58 games.  The only way a team would trade a first for that is if they thought he could break out in a bigger role.  GMs place a lot of value on first rounders, even the later ones where the average player taken at that spot is nothing special.

6 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

He's consistently been a 55-ish point a year player the last few years.  That's 2nd line production.  He's also coming off his worst year since 11-12 when he only played 58 games.  The only way a team would trade a first for that is if they thought he could break out in a bigger role.  GMs place a lot of value on first rounders, even the later ones where the average player taken at that spot is nothing special.

The Avs were a tire fire this season.

I'm familiar with Duchene's numbers and I'm not denying he's established himself as a 2C. What I'm denying is that there's "no way in hell" a team would trade a top-15 pick in this draft for Duchene. Solid 2Cs don't grow on trees; at any given time, there will be at least a couple teams that are in desperate need of a Matt Duchene. (Promising though Larkin and Athanasiou are, the odds are against either one of them ever becoming a significantly better player than the one Duchene is right now.)

The Hurricanes need to make the jump from bubble team to playoff team. They lack scoring depth and they've been looking for an established top-six centerman who could give their offense a shot in the arm. Currently, their top three centermen are Jordan Staal, Victor Rask, Elias Lindholm. While Duchene isn't Crosby, there's a pretty big difference between 1C-Staal / 2C-Rask / 3C-Lindholm / 4C-[some guy] and 1C-Staal / 2C-Duchene / 3C-Rask / 4C-Lindholm.

Losing Nielsen hurt the Islanders this season. Adding Duchene would help plug that hole, help solidify their top six, and possibly help convince Tavares to stay in Isles Land.

There are other potential fits, but I'm thinking those two make the most sense.

Duchene is a very good 2nd line center, and could play top line for short periods without looking too out of place. I think in the right situation on the right team he could be a 50-60 point player again. I think he would be a great fit on a number of teams, and a lot of teams will be inquiring this summer. I think it will take at least a 1st round pick.

In saying that, I wouldn't give up our 9th overall for him, but I would inquire. Sakic probably wouldn't trade with us unless it's an offer he can't refuse, and that I wouldn't be willing to do. The most I'd offer up would be a Sheahan or Ouellet, and / or a prospect like Saarijarvi or Hronek, and or a pick or two (not a 1st).

I think very highly of Matt Duchene. He is an extremely talented player whos been on a terrible Avs team. If hes traded to Carolina he instantly becomes their 1C. With NYI he instantly becomes one of the best 2Cs in the league. The cynicism is missplaced here dickie.