• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Andy Pred 48

Targets for the Wings

Rate this topic

See above.  You are scratching my itch.  Holland has crippled this team.  He's not getting the Guentzels, Murrays, Panarins, and Toffolis.  He's WASTING our draft picks.  So what good does it do if he picks up draft picks in trades?

You realize that a lot of picks outside the top 10 or 12 don't work out right? The 4 players taken either side of Sheahan when he was drafted you got 2 better and 6 who have done as much or less than him.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

for info purposes only Kennys top picks since 2006. (not inc 2016)

2006 41st o/a  Cory Emmerton NHL games 139 21pts, now NLA swiss league. not played NHL since.

2007 27th o/a Brendan Smith NHL games 309 71pts now FA. 

2008 30th o/a Tom McCullom NHL games 3 now AHL not played in NHL since.

2009 32nd o/a Landon Ferraro NHL games 75 11pts. now AHL.

2010 21st o/a Riley Sheahan NHL games 284 98 pts. Current Redwing.

2011 35th o/a Tomas Jurco NHL games 172 40 pts. now FA.

2012 49th o/a Martin Frk NHL games 2 0pts. Red Wings have qualified the RFA.

2013 20th o/a Anthony Mantha NHL games 70 39pts. Current Redwing.

2014 15th o/a Dylan Larkin NHL games 160 77pts. Current Redwing.

2015 19th o/a Yevgeni Svechnikov NHL games 2 0pts. now AHL  

So we have 6 x 1st rounders of which 1 has been trade, 1 was a blowout,  3 are on the roster and the other could be on it for the start of the 2017/18 season. Of the 4 x second rounders, 3 have had a run at making it in the show with all playing over 70+ games and 1 will have a chance out of camp this season.

No Kenny hasn't plucked us a superstar (yet) but i wouldn't say its been a complete failure either.

8 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

"He's not getting the Guentzels, Murrays, Panarins, and Toffolis.  He's WASTING our draft picks.  So what good does it do if he picks up draft picks in trades?"

Aren't these our Manthas, Larkins, Schevnikovs, Athanasious?  Are they wasted picks?

So if we do end up moving Mrazek or Howard, do you think we'll go with Coreau as back-up or do you think Holland will try and sign a more seasoned back-up 'tender?  With so many out on the market, I would think that Holland will go for a more seasoned back-up, especially if we end up with Howard over Mrazek.  I watched some Griffins playoffs and I just don't think Coreau is ready, even in a back-up capacity.  Some of the UFAs out there are:

Bernier

Elliott

Johnson

Nilsson

Budaj

Condon

All of these guys (save Nilsson and Elliott) did a great job stepping in when the starting goalies on their teams got hurt.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:41 AM, kliq said:

I dont hate the Helm contract like some, but coupled with all the other's I would have no problem with it going, and Abby is going nowhere anyways so why waste a spot on him.

--

Don't know if this means anything or if he was assured by Kenny that he is safe...but Helmer just joined a pretty high end Country Club here in the Detroit area.  Could mean that he's making the D his home for the next while regardless of where he plays.  However, the one-time initiation membership fee at this club is pretty hefty$$ so you'd think he plans on being around and using the club a lot.  Maybe not though.  #first world problems

Edited by Learn2LuvIt

i feel bad for doan thats how you treat your longest reign C and player? either he goes for a year to a cup contender or he retires i hopethe best for him always liked doan a couple years ago id have taken him but at 40 eh and his not winning a cup with us

2 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

So if we do end up moving Mrazek or Howard, do you think we'll go with Coreau as back-up or do you think Holland will try and sign a more seasoned back-up 'tender?  With so many out on the market, I would think that Holland will go for a more seasoned back-up, especially if we end up with Howard over Mrazek.  I watched some Griffins playoffs and I just don't think Coreau is ready, even in a back-up capacity.  ...

Given that Coreau is out of options, I think he'll be up if we lose Mrazek. A lot of us thought the same thing about Howard when he came up, but the team gave him the chance, and Coreau has had the better AHL career (even without considering the Calder Cup).

1 hour ago, sjr2012 said:

i feel bad for doan thats how you treat your longest reign C and player? either he goes for a year to a cup contender or he retires i hopethe best for him always liked doan a couple years ago id have taken him but at 40 eh and his not winning a cup with us

He should go to Edmonton or Nashville.

So what no is talking about is what player we can get from Vegas.

Holland said he wont trade assets to protect his current roster, but he said nothing about trading his current roster for players that he collaborates with McPhee to select. He could tell McPhee "hey if you select Enstrom from WPG, ill trade you Nyquist for him" (just picking random players off the top of my head). Holland said hes already spoken to McPhee quite a bit and plans to be in touch with him throughout the freeze period. I think its far more likely our roster gets added and subtracted to at this point, then Holland giving away picks for protection.

Also some long time Edmonton reporter is saying the Wings really want Cale Makar

Per Doan's agent Terry Boss: "Shane is ready to enter free agent market & see where it goes. Time for him to get a shot at the cup"
OEL to be name captain

Why the hell not accept a deadline trade to a contender then?

10 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

I think Chyaka told him he wouldnt be offered a contract, but is allowing his captain to go gracefully as if it was under his own accord. Terry Boss said something else along the lines of "Arizona is getting rid of everything old" clearly Chyaka wants to accelerate the culture change. Also the team is broke again lol. When you mention Shane Doan my first two thoughts are I really respect the heck out of that guy, and what a complete idiot that guy is. Do you think Yzerman would have stuck with the Yotes for that long with no hopes on the horizon? Mad respect for team loyalty in my book. But on the flip side WHY ARE YOU SO LOYAL TO THIS CRAPPY BROKE TEAM WHO YOU KNOW IS NOT GOING TO WIN DIDDLY?? Doan did some douchey crap to our players in the past, but I used to frequent the same bar as Brad May and May Day swears up and down Doan is one of the coolest, nicest, lovable guys hes ever met. And i dont call guys with knuckles the sizs of my face liars.

56 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I think Chyaka told him he wouldnt be offered a contract, but is allowing his captain to go gracefully as if it was under his own accord. Terry Boss said something else along the lines of "Arizona is getting rid of everything old" clearly Chyaka wants to accelerate the culture change. Also the team is broke again lol. When you mention Shane Doan my first two thoughts are I really respect the heck out of that guy, and what a complete idiot that guy is. Do you think Yzerman would have stuck with the Yotes for that long with no hopes on the horizon? Mad respect for team loyalty in my book. But on the flip side WHY ARE YOU SO LOYAL TO THIS CRAPPY BROKE TEAM WHO YOU KNOW IS NOT GOING TO WIN DIDDLY?? Doan did some douchey crap to our players in the past, but I used to frequent the same bar as Brad May and May Day swears up and down Doan is one of the coolest, nicest, lovable guys hes ever met. And i dont call guys with knuckles the sizs of my face liars.

So apparently it was an ownership decision. That's pretty garbage if you ask me. I think Doan is pretty awesome and kept dreaming he'd come to the Wings 10 years ago. Like you said, gotta respect a guy that's given so much to one team. Unbelievable that they'd just kick him to the curb like this. I couldn't imagine the Wings doing that to Yzerman once he was on the downslope of his career. Doan should be able to decide his future whether is with the Yotes or not. Reading what yotes fans are saying on reddit, this is not a good thing for a team that struggles to bring in people to games as it is. 

20 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

So apparently it was an ownership decision. That's pretty garbage if you ask me. I think Doan is pretty awesome and kept dreaming he'd come to the Wings 10 years ago. Like you said, gotta respect a guy that's given so much to one team. Unbelievable that they'd just kick him to the curb like this. I couldn't imagine the Wings doing that to Yzerman once he was on the downslope of his career. Doan should be able to decide his future whether is with the Yotes or not. Reading what yotes fans are saying on reddit, this is not a good thing for a team that struggles to bring in people to games as it is. 

I agree with you wholheartedly, but the team is moving in a new direction with Chyaka. Doan was never going to move on his own, and hes a super rare breed bc of that, but they probably felt they needed to cut ties with the past completely to accomplish what they want to. They wernt going to win with Doan as captain and its time for OEL to take the reigns. Did you ever picture Iginla in anything other than a Flames jersey? Or Alfredsson as a wing? I didnt, but sometimes it needs to happen i think. Chyaka is playing money puck, and Doan and Chyaka arent doing each other any favors working together whether Doan realizes it or not. I would really love to see Doan hoist the cup, i think hes one of the best unsung players who never gets to right now.

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I would really love to see Doan hoist the cup, i think hes one of the best unsung players who never gets to right now.

Same, as long as it's not with the Hawks or the Pens :)

15 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

Same, as long as it's not with the Hawks or the Pens :)

Its sad to say, but i dont think the Hawks or Pens are dumb enough to sign him. Hes older and slower and these teams revolve around young high octane offenses. I would be surprised if they pursued him. That said, i agree 100% with your sentiments.

On 6/18/2017 at 0:04 PM, Jonas Mahonas said:

The problem I have is this: when do all the people saying "Smith can go for all I care", "Sheahan can go", "Kindl can go", "Jurco can go", "Ferraro can go", "Frk can go", Jarnkrok can go" etc etc etc going to realize that all these guys are the players Ken Holland is using our top picks on?  It's a joke.  Holland has been TERRIBLE with player selection over the last 10 years, obviously.  Yet, we're supposed to believe he's going to pull out great players out of the 3rd round in a weak draft class.  There's a great chance our 9th pick turns out to be crap, based on Holland's recent track record.

See above.  You are scratching my itch.  Holland has crippled this team.  He's not getting the Guentzels, Murrays, Panarins, and Toffolis.  He's WASTING our draft picks.  So what good does it do if he picks up draft picks in trades?

Thanks for clarifying. I see where you're coming from now.

I wouldn't go so far as to say Holland has been "TERRIBLE with player selection over the last 10 years" and is "WASTING our draft picks." Certainly there's no reason to believe we'll more than likely have "ZERO NHL players come out of this draft" and that "There's a great chance our 9th pick turns out to be crap, based on Holland's recent track record."

Our amateur scouting and our drafting and our prospect development has, arguably, been problematic for the better part of a decade now. It's a discussion that more people should be having, IMO. But let's not overstate the problem.

10 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

You mean last year?  He was ready to be traded to a contender.  No trade materialized for him. TBH that is not surprising to me.  Doan is a relic.