• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Griffins Calder Cup Playoffs Thread

Rate this topic

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Frk is 23 (24 this coming season). ...

What I mean is it isn't really accurate to say he hasn't been given a chance just because he hasn't been given any NHL games. 

4 hours ago, kipwinger said:

You're talking about two different things here, so I'll try to address them both.  Frk's "skill", and his scoring rate so far in the AHL.  The two aren't really the same thing.  His scoring rate is decent enough for the AHL, but his skill is what makes me think he'd perform better on an NHL third line than the guys you mentioned.  A little like AA, who didn't really have that great of a scoring rate in the AHL when he was a top guy, but whose skillset makes him dangerous in the NHL as a complimentary piece.  I think that with his shot, size, and hands it wouldn't be unrealistic for Frk to get 12-15 goals on the 3rd line I mentioned (Neilsen and Svech).  You may have more faith in Abby, Sheahan, or Helm than I do, but I don't see them scoring that much at this point.  I don't think Frk is some star player in the making or anything, but I think he's got better finishing skills than those guys.

What I'm saying is that the main reason people are considering Frk a "skill" player is because he's currently scoring at a decent rate in the AHL, and he doesn't really do anything else. Conversely we don't consider Abby, Helm, and Sheahan to be skilled because we've been measuring them relative to NHL players for years. 

If 20yo Helm and 20yo Frk were both in GR, both coming off good junior careers, and Helm put up 16g, 31p in 67 games while Frk put up 3g, 12p in 50...I don't think it's a stretch to say we'd think of Helm as the more skilled player. 

Optimism on Frk aside, I don't quite understand your pessimism regarding the others. 12-15 goals is pretty much what Helm and Sheahan have already proven they can do in a similar role. Abby is a little different, as he's been better than that in a top role, but also worse at times in both top-6 and bottom-6 roles. While I can see some reason for skepticism, it doesn't make sense to me that you'd be that pessimistic about their potential in a scoring role while also thinking they'd be productive on the 4th line. Maybe you just mean relative to the poor production we got from the 4th line this year, but the way you stated it seemed to imply that you thought a Helm/Sheahan-Nosek-Abby line would actually be good.

After getting his taste of the NHL last year, Bertuzzi is showing he's ready to be a full time contributor this fall. His AHL playoff numbers are crazy, but it's the all around play that's so exciting. We haven't had a player like him in a long time. Nosek absolutely has to be on the roster as well. His size and ability to protect the puck makes him a real effective player, and I think as a bottom 6 center in the NHL that will translate.

As far as the Calder Cup, I still think the Griffins get it done. Just might not be winning tonight :lol:

15 hours ago, BinMucker94 said:

This crowd is insane. Griffs need to get some energy. Jared hasn't been good

Coreau has had some great games, and some pretty horrid ones. He plays small for a 6'6 goalie. I thought the Wings may have had another Bishop/Dubnyk in him. But after his stint with the Wings where he started quite a few games for a callup backup, he should be dominating at the AHL level with that experience under his belt. Oh well, least there's Matej next season.

13 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Coreau has had some great games, and some pretty horrid ones. He plays small for a 6'6 goalie. I thought the Wings may have had another Bishop/Dubnyk in him. But after his stint with the Wings where he started quite a few games for a callup backup, he should be dominating at the AHL level with that experience under his belt. Oh well, least there's Matej next season.

I've still got hopes for Paterson, but yeah unfortunately our goalie prospects look like Machoman right now

8 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I've still got hopes for Paterson, but yeah unfortunately our goalie prospects look like Machoman right now

Yeah, Paterson is still there too. This coming season should be a battle though. Howard is looking forward to returning, Mrazek HAS to show more of that elite promise, Coreau will get another kick at it if one of the two is injured or moved, Matej will push him hard for the AHL starter/ first call up role. Least that's something to watch.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Coreau has actually been pretty good. Couple stinker games, but also like 7-8 really good ones. His call-up wasn't very impressive, but he had some decent moments. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the backup next year.

2 hours ago, Buppy said:

Coreau has actually been pretty good. Couple stinker games, but also like 7-8 really good ones. His call-up wasn't very impressive, but he had some decent moments. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the backup next year.

If Coreau used his size to his advantage I think he would do a lot better. He's not a bad goalie he just needs to make some adjustments. Seeing him play in person last night it was obvious that he makes himself smaller when the shot is being released. It looks like there's no room then as soon as the shot is taken, holes everywhere.

Its too early to be calling Coreau a star or a bust.  Goalies typically don't come into the league and light it up from day one.  He had a subpar game in Game #3, but he played lights out in Game #2.  Without him, the Griffins would be down 2-1 in the series instead of up 2-1.  The Griffins didn't deserve to win Game #2 for the way he played, but thanks to Coreau, it happened.

Anyway, I am just hoping that they win Game #4 right now.  I really don't think the Griffins are going to be able to win 2 in a row at home if they drop 3 straight in Syracuse.  Get it done!