• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

HockeytownRules19

Griffins Calder Cup Playoffs Thread

Rate this topic

On 4/16/2017 at 4:17 AM, kylee said:

we should promote the Griffins coach because he's won at every level

I get that's a joke is on Holland's comments on Blash, but the current GR coach (Todd Nelson) already had a chance as an NHL head coach with the Oilers a couple of years ago and did not win at that level so it doesn't really make sense with his situation.

Anyway, I don't know why people mock the idea of choosing Blashill based on lower success and specifically AHL success. That is kind of how it works - it's an established path for new coaches. Just look at some recent Calder Cup winning coaches:

Last year: Jared Bednar won and then he got to coach the Avs this year

3 years ago: Willie Desjardins won - gets the Canucks job the next year

4 years ago: Blash

5 years ago: Jon Cooper wins - coaches the Pens the next year

Anyway, LetsgoGriffins! Looking forward see what Svech can do. Haven't been able to see him this year except the short bit he was called up.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

51 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing what 6 start on the D as the Griffins are loaded on the blue line, has Hronek impressed enough to stay in it.

In my opinion, yes for sure. I'd love to see something like this...

Bertuzzi - Nosek - Frk

Lorito - Holmstrom - Svechnikov

Tangradi - Street - Criscuolo

Smith - Turgeon - Callahan

Ford / Campbell

Hicketts - Russo

Lashoff - Hronek

Cholowski - Paetsch / Renouf / McIlrath

Unfortunately, I doubt Smith or Cholowski will see much, if any time during the playoffs...

3 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Red Wings have signed Christoffer Ehn to an entry level contract.

They must see something in this kid that I don't, he's being moved right along.

Probably the next Joakim Andersson.

Agreed. I don't see anything special with this kid. Kind of surprised they offered him a contract to be honest. I expect he will start with the Griffins / Walleye next season, and will be back in Sweden within a year...

Axel scored today on a real nice shot from between the dots off a great feed by Svechnikov.  From the little I've seen of them..they seem to have a bit of chemistry together

I don't think the Wings are putting a great deal of stock in Ehn's offensive numbers in Frolunda...from what I've read he was  centering a checking line and not given much rope offensively.  The cliche with Swedes is that the defensive development precedes the offense...so...we'll see

1 hour ago, Nondescript_D said:

Axel scored today on a real nice shot from between the dots off a great feed by Svechnikov.  From the little I've seen of them..they seem to have a bit of chemistry together

I don't think the Wings are putting a great deal of stock in Ehn's offensive numbers in Frolunda...from what I've read he was  centering a checking line and not given much rope offensively.  The cliche with Swedes is that the defensive development precedes the offense...so...we'll see

Svechbro-NewHolmstrom-Svechbro

Would be a a sweet line if we can draft the other svech

Ehn was a guy Andersson really liked. If i remember correctly Andersson projected he could become a useful (probs 3rd line) 2 way forward. The offense hasnt come yet, but we shall see. The wings brought him over and signed him faster than i thought they would.

OHL playoffs

Saarijarvi is 2nd among D-men in playoff points with 12 points in 14 games. He's ranked 8th in +/-, tied for the lead in PPG and PPA, and holds the overall lead for PPP and shots on goal.

Jordan Sambrook is tied for 9th in points among D-men. He's tied for 2nd in +/-. He's the only d-man in the top 10 D scorers to have scored all of his points so far at even strength. All others besides 1 have at least 3 PPP.

I've watched a lot of Missasauga and Erie in the playoffs.  I like both of them ...a lot.  Sambrook is mobile..he has decent size and nice shot from the point.  Vili is just...amazing..on skates.  Runs the PP well and he plays really smart positionally.  

Vili is potentially a top pairing or elite 2nd pairing guy.  Sambrook is more a second pairing guy...but he could definitely run your 2nd unit PP someday.

Love to see us take a shot at Erie C Ivan Lodnia if he's there in the 2nd round...London's Rob Thomas would be a possibility there too.