• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sputman

Wings In Running For Victor Ejdsell

Rate this topic

6 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I've been hearing about these types since Jiri Dopita.

Dopita was a diamond, but came to NHL too late. He had no motivation to prove himself to be a good player on NHL level, while he achieved a lot at home. He was not prepared to start in 3rd line to start grinding from the scratch. 

Simply - his NHL overseas mission was misunderstanding and ´lost in translation´ case. He´s not the best example for this topic. 

Mats Zuccarello was undrafted, and fairly well hyped from what can recall. He's been a significant contributor for the Rangers so far in the playoffs, and has averaged 50+ points per season in his four full seasons in the NHL. If you could get that level of performance for 'free' in terms of not using a draft pick, then why not roll the dice with Ejdsell?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found it weird, when I was scrolling through my Twitter last night, I came across a tweet from "Red Wings Prospects", that said "Ejdsell (C/LW, 6'5", 214) lead the Swedish Allsvenskan (SWE-2) with 57 pts in 50 games #RedWings"...

For those that are unfamiliar, they tweet nothing but Red Wings prospect news and stats (great follow). I've never seen them tweet any information about a player that wasn't Red Wings property. Has he already agreed to a contract, and the info just hasn't been released to the public yet? Maybe?...

Either way, I don't expect him to go to any team and immediately become a top player, but he could be a solid middle 6 guy. Who knows though, we could luck out and he could be another Panarin... No harm in giving this kid a shot.

The problem is, he'll be misused here. Is he a scorer? If so then he'll be playing 4th line while Helm and Abby get top 6. Is he a grinder? If so he'll be playing top 6 while AA is bottom 6.

That's just how it's been with Blas hill. 

If they sign him, good, more depth, but he damn well better be used correctly. 

Edited by LeftWinger

59 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I found it weird, when I was scrolling through my Twitter last night, I came across a tweet from "Red Wings Prospects", that said "Ejdsell (C/LW, 6'5", 214) lead the Swedish Allsvenskan (SWE-2) with 57 pts in 50 games #RedWings"...

For those that are unfamiliar, they tweet nothing but Red Wings prospect news and stats (great follow). I've never seen them tweet any information about a player that wasn't Red Wings property. Has he already agreed to a contract, and the info just hasn't been released to the public yet? Maybe?...

Either way, I don't expect him to go to any team and immediately become a top player, but he could be a solid middle 6 guy. Who knows though, we could luck out and he could be another Panarin... No harm in giving this kid a shot.

This:

Was just a follow up with info after they posted this one:

19 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If Holland somehow managed to pull Tippett and Hague out of the draft, I'd be perfectly fine with signing this kid. 

And if he drafts Suzuki in the 2nd will you finish your vegetables?

The draft has nothing to do with signing this kid, and youll probably cry and moan when we sign him regardless bc hes "not being used properly"

I honestly have been a fan of both Suzuki and Yamamoto for a long time. I'd be fine with Suzuki. I just have a want list and would love to have them.

If my ultimate draft fantasy happened with Owen and Nic, I was just simply saying I didn't care who else he drafted or signed. I do hope, if the sign Victor, that he gets used to his best ability.

Edited by LeftWinger

19 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

I still think we won the lottery with Dekeyser. Not a #1, but a great pickup.

If Victor can be a comparable piece that would be huge. Not expecting that, but it'd be great to pickup a big guy with potential.  

"Big guy"? Ken Holland does not compute.

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I prefer Hondas to Suzukis.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Damn right!

15 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I honestly have been a fan of both Suzuki and Yamamoto for a long time. I'd be fine with Suzuki. I just have a want list and would love to have them.

If my ultimate draft fantasy happened with Owen and Nic, I was just simply saying I didn't care who else he drafted or signed. I do hope, if the sign Victor, that he gets used to his best ability.

If Victor was a 6'5" Canadian would that help you warm to him?

Speaking of Haken, you guys like to make fun of some users who, just because they don't have the pedigree or schooling, you say they don't have the smarts to evaluate hockey talent. Well Haken played hockey as a kid, joined the military and was a fishing guide prior to his employment with the Wings. He was a normal guy who grew up loving the sport, followed his local teams and followed amateur as well as professional players. He was a part time scout prior to 1990 when he then accepted a full time job as a scout.

It doesn't take schooling or being inthe nhl to be a great judge of talent or be able to analyze youth hockey players. It takes a love of the game, dedication to learning all you can about players and being in the right place at the right time.

I believe there are more than a few of my fellow users here that if they pursued it, could become very good scouts in the NHL.

...as far as the most of ´european gems´ were picked in times when not a lot of teams had full-time european scouts. 

Nowadays, it´s impossible to pick new Lidscyukberg from 150+ OA unless you´re lucky. 

Edited by Juklitz

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Speaking of Haken, you guys like to make fun of some users who, just because they don't have the pedigree or schooling, you say they don't have the smarts to evaluate hockey talent. Well Haken played hockey as a kid, joined the military and was a fishing guide prior to his employment with the Wings. He was a normal guy who grew up loving the sport, followed his local teams and followed amateur as well as professional players. He was a part time scout prior to 1990 when he then accepted a full time job as a scout.

It doesn't take schooling or being inthe nhl to be a great judge of talent or be able to analyze youth hockey players. It takes a love of the game, dedication to learning all you can about players and being in the right place at the right time.

I believe there are more than a few of my fellow users here that if they pursued it, could become very good scouts in the NHL.

honestly I think the whole NHL club is made to be way more elite than it actually is.  I don't think playing hockey professionally necessarily makes you a better GM or owner or coach etc.  Yet so many former NHL players end up in front office positions.  Its a club.

26 minutes ago, Echolalia said:

honestly I think the whole NHL club is made to be way more elite than it actually is.  I don't think playing hockey professionally necessarily makes you a better GM or owner or coach etc.  Yet so many former NHL players end up in front office positions.  Its a club.

As far as coaching goes, look at Hitchcock. I don't even see anything about him even playing high school hockey. Great coach. Maybe someday...

4 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Key phrase right there.

If you're not already in the club (like a former NHLer is), it takes a lot of dedication to be successful as a scout. It's a lot of man hours the first few years with likely no pay.  

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

It wasn't schooling, or lack of smarts, that anyone was making fun of. It was that you were talking like some kind of expert when in fact you had never even heard of one of the top prospects. Even worse, you didn't even try to do any research when the kid was mentioned. You just said "Europe = stupid pick". That is literally the exact opposite of "dedication to learning all you can...". 

3 hours ago, Juklitz said:

...as far as the most of ´european gems´ were picked in times when not a lot of teams had full-time european scouts. 

Nowadays, it´s impossible to pick new Lidscyukberg from 150+ OA unless you´re lucky. 

Aside from maybe the late-80s influx, it was always luck. Datsyuk and Zetterberg isn't what made our scouting good, nor is it limited to Europeans. What makes our scouting good is consistently above average results in finding and developing NHL caliber talent.

2 hours ago, Echolalia said:

No, but having a high level of passion for the sport does, and it's only natural that a large percentage of those that do will try playing at some point.