• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sputman

Wings In Running For Victor Ejdsell

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

If history dictates anything with these players, they aren't coming to a nhl team to not be in the nhl.  Maybe they spend one year in the A, but then they pull the whole "either I'm in the nhl or I'm going home. " it's happened a lot.

By "these" players I'm guessing you mean Brunner, Brunnstrom, etc. Those guys were 5-6 years older and has multiple years of success (and well paid salaries) in the top leagues in Europe. You guys seem to be missing this difference. 

I mean any of these players. Do you actually think Dekeyser wouldve signed here if he wasn't guaranteed an nhl spot?

Sure he wanted to be a Wing, but if there was no room for him here, he wouldve gone elsewhere. These FA's want to be in the nhl.

Granted there are exceptions like Nosek. But I don't recall him being coveted by multiple teams.This guy is and will probably choose a team that he can be in the nhl.

Yeah, Nosek is the exception. I think it was Tatar a couple years ago who explained that a lot of European players who have never been here think that the AHL is some kind of joke league, crap straight out of Slapshot, and being sent down is some kind of humiliation. Edsjell might be another exception, but I don't see why. Worst case he spends one year in Sweden them comes over. Or maybe he signs a deal where if he doesn't make an NHL team he goes home instead of the A.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I mean any of these players. Do you actually think Dekeyser wouldve signed here if he wasn't guaranteed an nhl spot?

Sure he wanted to be a Wing, but if there was no room for him here, he wouldve gone elsewhere. These FA's want to be in the nhl.

Granted there are exceptions like Nosek. But I don't recall him being coveted by multiple teams.This guy is and will probably choose a team that he can be in the nhl.

Show me 1 example of a 21 or 22 year old, undrafted UFA that went from a 2nd tier league who went straight to the NHL. Or anybody that goes 2nd tier to NHL, for that matter. I think it would be quite something for him to demand a roster spot as part of a contract.

The vast majority of undrafted UFAs play significant time in the AHL. If they're all demanding an NHL roster spot, there not getting it. 

For a sample, in wikipedia's list of undrafted players with more than 100 games, The majority have significant time in the AHL (I just looked at current player to limit a huge list). There's more but I got tired. You can add these to your 'exception' list:

Eddie Lack (3 years), Niemi (1), Arcobello (3) Glendening (1.5 yrs+ some ECHL) St. Louis (3 years with call ups) Zuccarello (2 half years) Beagle (3.5) Benoit (1 after he was signed from SEL, 3 more before) Bollig (3.5), Rene Borque (1), Dan Boyle (2+), Bozak (.5), J.T. Brown (1+), Ryan Carter (1+) Desharnais (3.5 years), Desjardins (3), Brenden Dillon (1.5 years), Fiddler (2.5) Brian Flynn (1), Ryan Garbutt (2) Garbutt (almost 2), Garrison (1.5) Gionta (6) Giordano (2), Girardi (1.5) Gorges (parts of 3 seasons), ANdy Greene (1) Nick Holden (5) Tyler Johnson (2) Jooris (1+) Melkar Karlsson (part or 2 seasons) Kunitz (almost 2) Letestu (3) Lovejoy (3) McLeod (2.5) Mickalek (3) Kevin Miller (2+) Prosser (1,25) Purcell (1.5), Roussel (2.5) Scrivens (1.5) TVR (1) Talbot (3) Tanev (3 half years) Ward (3) Zucarello (2 half years) Guys from European leagues in Bold

On that list, the only ones that didn't play significant time in the are below. None are from 2nd tier leagues. They're mostly older. 

Niklas Backstrom (age 29, after 10 years pro)

Bellemare (age 29, after 12 years pro)

Hiller (signed at age 25, 4 year pro) (did play 6 AHL games)

Raffl (did play 2 AHL games)(age 25, 8 years pro)

Gustavsson (age 25, 6 years pro)

DK (Age 23, did play in AHL playoffs, I doubt he was guaranteed a roster spot)

Bobrovsky (age 22, 4 years pro) (2 years in KHL)

Sekac (age 22, 4 years pro) (3 years in KHL)

Nothing looks like Ejdsell's 1 full year in the Allsv

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

That's fine. We'll see when he signs somewhere. If a team is telling him he'll get an nhl spot, that's where he'll go. That WILL be a deciding factor.

Plus on your list, I don't recall 90% of those guys being coveted by multiple teams. Zucchini was, but the others mostly weren't. 

which Benoit?  Andre?  He's from Canada.  Karlsson played a grand total of 24 AHL games.  Niemi played 38 games.  Zuccarello split 2 seasons between the AHL and NHL.  These guys don't come over to play in the AHL.

35 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

which Benoit?  Andre?  He's from Canada.  Karlsson played a grand total of 24 AHL games.  Niemi played 38 games.  Zuccarello split 2 seasons between the AHL and NHL.  These guys don't come over to play in the AHL.

Andre Benoit is indeed Canadian, but he came to the NHL after the playing in the FEL and SEL. The posts says bold was for players come from European Leagues. 

38 games was Niemi's full season except for 3 call up games. Hence 1 season.

It says 2 half seasons for Zuccarello. that's exactly the same as saying spilt 2 seasons. He played 73 AHL(35+36) vs. 62 NHL(42+10) games. That's significant time in the AHL. 

Young UFA free agents do play in the AHL. The AHL is mostly a development league after all. Older players that have played many years in top league are more formed so they don't need it as much or not at all. They aren't going to gain much from the AHL.

Anyway, I think we're in agree to disagree territory. We'll just have to see. I'll willing eat some crow if we hear anything about guaranteed roster spots.

Kind of a no brainer for this guy.  Detroit didn't make the playoffs, Chicago got roasted by Nashville in the playoffs, and the Predators are looking like a team that's going to be competitive for a few years.  No reason for him not to pick Nashville at this point.  No big loss, and I'll look forward to seeing how the guy turns out. 

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2017/5/8/15584496/predators-sign-swedish-centers-petterssen-and-ejdsell

Apparently they also signed Emil Petterson. Wonder if there's any relation to the Petterson in this draft.

They already have more swidish players than us on their roster, so they're definitely out-swedeing us these days. There should be a Swedish mafia war. They'll go to the ikea mattresses.

It's not surprising. It actually says a lot about the character of the Wings organization that they were on his shortlist. Usually these guys meet with the top organizations in the league but somehow the Wings are always on their short list

16 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2017/5/8/15584496/predators-sign-swedish-centers-petterssen-and-ejdsell

Apparently they also signed Emil Petterson. Wonder if there's any relation to the Petterson in this draft.

They already have more swidish players than us on their roster, so they're definitely out-swedeing us these days. There should be a Swedish mafia war. They'll go to the ikea mattresses.

It's Elias Pettersson's older brother

5 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

Really sucks. Good teams keep getting better with these Euro and college free agents. Pitt, NYR, Chi, Nashville are all killing it in that respect. Back to the draft for the Wings.

Now we know how fans of those teams felt about us  for 20 years.

Holland just needs to make this teammore attractive to free agents. The new building will help, but he needs to dump these players making too much money so he can actually outbid a team now and then. He needs to dump as much salary as he can to be in on the Bishop sweeps. One big name will draw more interest. 

I remember a story from Roenick back when he signed with the Flyers. He was absolutely the best ufa available that year and his story was Philly and Detroit offered him the exact same contracts. He chose Philly because he felt they had more of a chance to win...then Detroit traded for Hasek. He said had they traded for Hasek before he agreed to go to Philly, he would've chosen Detroit instead. 

My point is all Holland has to do is acquire one big name, big game player and that will attract more. Who would a big name ufa rather play in front of, old man Howard an inconsistent unproven Mrazek or Ben Bishop?

21 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Now we know how fans of those teams felt about us  for 20 years.

Holland just needs to make this teammore attractive to free agents. The new building will help, but he needs to dump these players making too much money so he can actually outbid a team now and then. He needs to dump as much salary as he can to be in on the Bishop sweeps. One big name will draw more interest. 

I remember a story from Roenick back when he signed with the Flyers. He was absolutely the best ufa available that year and his story was Philly and Detroit offered him the exact same contracts. He chose Philly because he felt they had more of a chance to win...then Detroit traded for Hasek. He said had they traded for Hasek before he agreed to go to Philly, he would've chosen Detroit instead. 

My point is all Holland has to do is acquire one big name, big game player and that will attract more. Who would a big name ufa rather play in front of, old man Howard an inconsistent unproven Mrazek or Ben Bishop?

Good move by Holland. Definitely did not want Jeremy Roenick on this team lol 

What was Hollands good move? He offered JR the contract, JR could've easily chosen Detroit over Philly. They were the exact same offers. 

You probably meant thank goodness he chose Philly. Because whether or not we acquired Hasek, Holland wanted JR. 

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

What was Hollands good move? He offered JR the contract, JR could've easily chosen Detroit over Philly. They were the exact same offers. 

You probably meant thank goodness he chose Philly. Because whether or not we acquired Hasek, Holland wanted JR. 

Thankfully Holland didn't go after Hasek until after JR made the biggest mistake of his career. Good move Kenny.