• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wing Across The Pond

Kucherov says some Tampa players "got their money and stopped working"

Rate this topic

Reading Tampa Bay Times this morning and Kurcherov told Russian paper Sovetsky Sport that some Tampa players "got their money and stopped working". He said some players overstayed in the team because they knew there was no competition for their place.

He also criticised coaches for switching up lines too much when Stamkos got injured. The TBT claim that Kucherov signed a team friendly contract and now feels let down.

4 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Alex Killorn

Was candid enough to not name names, but also waited till he was in Russia before saying anything. Yzerman didn't seem too happy either. Cast it aside but said he wants these things dealt with internally and he'll talk to him when he gets back.

How many times around the league has this happened where a team signs a player to a big long term contract based on their performance from seasons prior,(some players best seasons are curiously the ones in which they are upcoming UFAs) and then the very next season they give a half ass effort and stop doing the things that earned them that contract in the first place. The Wings have a few of them. All contracts should be somewhat performance based. You get a guaranteed amount for just playing, but you can earn a huge bonus every season if you accomplish a certain goal set out by management. Would stop a lot of the players from becoming lazy floaters after they get their contract.

12 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

How many times around the league has this happened where a team signs a player to a big long term contract based on their performance from seasons prior,(some players best seasons are curiously the ones in which they are upcoming UFAs) and then the very next season they give a half ass effort and stop doing the things that earned them that contract in the first place. The Wings have a few of them. All contracts should be somewhat performance based. You get a guaranteed amount for just playing, but you can earn a huge bonus every season if you accomplish a certain goal set out by management. Would stop a lot of the players from becoming lazy floaters after they get their contract.

I was thinking about this. In soccer over in the UK players contracts can reduce if the team gets relegated to the next division down.

If the waiver rule can make it easier to send players down to the minors I'm sure a lot of bottom line players would work harder to keep their place. Currently 4th line players work hard as they're in the direct firing line, but 3rd and 2nd line players should feel that pressure too.

What? This never happens, ever! 

Well at least that's what I'm told over and over and over and over again. No player, regardless of nationality, gets their money and coasts through the rest of their contract....never happens.

Funny when an actual star NHL player says it, all of a sudden there must be some substance to it..if a super fan says it, f*** off, it don't happen.

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Well at least that's what I'm told over and over and over and over again. No player, regardless of nationality, gets their money and coasts through the rest of their contract....never happens.

Funny when an actual star NHL player says it, all of a sudden there must be some substance to it..if a super fan says it, f*** off, it don't happen.

I'll tell Kucherov to f*** off too if he starts calling out individuals to whom it clearly doesn't apply just because of their nationality.

In fact, I'll tell him to f*** off anyway, because I think he's full of s***. Players have s***ty years all the time, regardless of contract status. Attitude certainly can play a role, but blaming a contract is a cheap cop-out. Humans aren't that simple.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Instance 1) A player calling out team-mates that he plays with every single day, saying that some players "got their money and stopped working"

Instance 2) A fan with extreme opinions, hammering on select players and making them scapegoats for all that is wrong. The worst being the absolute bashing of a player who has suffered many many many concussions and calling him every name in the book. (which is when fan with extreme opinions lost credibility to most on this board).

In short, not the same thing.

7 hours ago, kliq said:

Instance 1) A player calling out team-mates that he plays with every single day, saying that some players "got their money and stopped working"

Instance 2) A fan with extreme opinions, hammering on select players and making them scapegoats for all that is wrong. The worst being the absolute bashing of a player who has suffered many many many concussions and calling him every name in the book. (which is when fan with extreme opinions lost credibility to most on this board).

In short, not the same thing.

So you're saying, when a player says it, it could be true...when a fan says it, it's never happens...I think that's what I said already, but thanks. 

BTW, nyquist didn't have head problems, and I've blamed him for getting his money and taking it easy too. Franzen wasn't the only one. But in Franzens case, before anyone knew of his concussion problem, there was more than just me that was more than mad at his floating around and showing lack of interest. When it came out that the head was his problem, even i stopped. The reason it seemed like I've always bashed him is because I started disliking him somewhere around 09, well before everybody else.

But don't you just hate when I'm on the right track about things when you try so hard to show that I'm wrong? :lol:

Even now you're trying to turn this story into me still being totally off base. Hey maybe Kucherov and I are colluding about this. 

Edited by LeftWinger

I was thinking about this. In soccer over in the UK players contracts can reduce if the team gets relegated to the next division down.
If the waiver rule can make it easier to send players down to the minors I'm sure a lot of bottom line players would work harder to keep their place. Currently 4th line players work hard as they're in the direct firing line, but 3rd and 2nd line players should feel that pressure too.

The PA wouldn't let that happen

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

So you're saying, when a player says it, it could be true...when a fan says it, it's never happens...I think that's what I said already, but thanks. 

BTW, nyquist didn't have head problems, and I've blamed him for getting his money and taking it easy too. Franzen wasn't the only one. But in Franzens case, before anyone knew of his concussion problem, there was more than just me that was more than mad at his floating around and showing lack of interest. When it came out that the head was his problem, even i stopped. The reason it seemed like I've always bashed him is because I started disliking him somewhere around 09, well before everybody else.

But don't you just hate when I'm on the right track about things when you try so hard to show that I'm wrong? :lol:

Even now you're trying to turn this story into me still being totally off base. Hey maybe Kucherov and I are colluding about this. 

No not at all, I think lots of fans say things that are 100% correct and that includes assessments on effort, I am not sure where you got the assumption that perception is that fans are always wrong. What is not taken seriously is your over the top rants. HUGE difference, do you really need me to go back and show examples?

I wasn't even talking about Nyquist.

Its actually not hard at all to show that you are wrong lol, trust me I do not even have to try. You never use logical reasoning or statistics as the basis of your arguments, pretty much everything you say is fueled by emotion which is the easiest type of argument to shut down

4 hours ago, kliq said:

No not at all, I think lots of fans say things that are 100% correct and that includes assessments on effort, I am not sure where you got the assumption that perception is that fans are always wrong. What is not taken seriously is your over the top rants. HUGE difference, do you really need me to go back and show examples?

I wasn't even talking about Nyquist.

Its actually not hard at all to show that you are wrong lol, trust me I do not even have to try. You never use logical reasoning or statistics as the basis of your arguments, pretty much everything you say is fueled by emotion which is the easiest type of argument to shut down

While I agree I am very emotional, I do base a lot of what I say on stats as much as I can.  I know you weren't talking about Nyquist, you were talking about Franzen. But I brought up gus, because I said it looked like he has been doing just what Kucherov is saying.

Nyquist stepped it up near the end, and if he keeps it going, I will definitely eat my words about him. I may be right about things and I may be wrong, but when I'm wrong, I take my medicine. Honestly though, I'm hoping that he is no longer in the organization next season.

I just found it funny that when I say certain players are known to get their money and coast, there is no way in the world it happens. But when someone in the NHL says it, people go, hmmmmm....

32 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

While I agree I am very emotional, I do base a lot of what I say on stats as much as I can.  I know you weren't talking about Nyquist, you were talking about Franzen. But I brought up gus, because I said it looked like he has been doing just what Kucherov is saying.

Nyquist stepped it up near the end, and if he keeps it going, I will definitely eat my words about him. I may be right about things and I may be wrong, but when I'm wrong, I take my medicine. Honestly though, I'm hoping that he is no longer in the organization next season.

I just found it funny that when I say certain players are known to get their money and coast, there is no way in the world it happens. But when someone in the NHL says it, people go, hmmmmm....

? You think you are as qualified as Kucherov is, to make that assertion? 

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Lefty, you're being disingenuous here.  People give you s*** because you said this over and over again about Franzen, to whom it never, ever, applied.  He scored 59 pts. in his contract year, and then scored just as well or better over the next 5 years after the contract was signed.  You incessantly harped on his "signing a big contract and then never playing up to it" while his points per game remained the same.  The only thing that changed was the amount of time he missed due to injury.  You're acting like you made a blanket statement and are now pretending to be vindicated.  In reality, you said it repeatedly about one very specific case, and people gave you s*** because you were demonstrably wrong about it. 

Edited by kipwinger

5 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

The PA wouldn't let that happen

Probably right, but the PA has been kicked into submission in the last two negotiations. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the owners go looking for non-guaranteed contracts in some fashion in the next one.

6 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Lefty, you're being disingenuous here.  People give you s*** because you said this over and over again about Franzen, to whom it never, ever, applied.  He scored 59 pts. in his contract year, and then scored just as well or better over the next 5 years after the contract was signed.  You incessantly harped on his "signing a big contract and then never playing up to it" while his points per game remained the same.  The only thing that changed was the amount of time he missed due to injury.  You're acting like you made a blanket statement and are now pretending to be vindicated.  In reality, you said it repeatedly about one very specific case, and people gave you s*** because you were demonstrably wrong about it. 

To be fair, he also said it about Kronwall (just as erroneously) and Nyquist (possibly some accuracy, though likely just coincidence). :)

41 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Probably right, but the PA has been kicked into submission in the last two negotiations. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the owners go looking for non-guaranteed contracts in some fashion in the next one.

To be fair, he also said it about Kronwall (just as erroneously) and Nyquist (possibly some accuracy, though likely just coincidence). :)

I see a trend developing

11GBA4K.gif

4 hours ago, Krayzie_Bone said:

They still made the wings look like fools most of the times they played.

Disagree. They might have the Wings regular season number, but in the 2015 playoffs the Wings took them to 7. A lot of that had to do with Mrazek keeping them in a series they had no business going that far in ( 3-4, 2.11 gaa, .925 sv%, 14 ga, 2 shutouts). The Wings have them a huge scare. Tampa only won Game 7 2-0. 2016 playoffs, which they BACKED INTO, Blash started Howard, who was replaced after two losses ( 3.59 gaa, 891 sv%, 7 ga) Mrazek went 1-2 with a 1.36 gaa, .945 sv%, 4 ga, and 1 shutout after that. Had Mrazek started that series, who knows what the outcome may have been.

Well I admit I trust the perception of an NHL player about his teammates more then I trust your perception, just as I trust an NHL players perception of his teammates more then my own.

For the record, I don't think you are wrong all the time, I just think sometimes you go over the top in your rants.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I see a trend developing

And I even forgot about Ericsson...

On 1/1/2016 at 1:29 PM, LeftWinger said:

I'm sorry, say what you will about stereotypes and stuff, but the rep on Swede's is they get their money and take the rest of their career off. I didn't make that up, nor am I saying it applies to them 100%, but it sure seems like before their life-long contracts were signed, Franzen, Kronwall, Erection and thus far Nyquist (even though his isnt quite a life long deal) have all dialed back their production and effectiveness since they got their's.

But it never happens, right? Until an NHL player says it does. 

And, yes, the story I heard is that Swedes do it more than others, but even in that quote I said not 100% of them. Plus I'm sure it applies to others as well.

It's so nice to have an NHL player confirm a story that has been kicked around a lot before. I guess I'll have to work on the over the top stuff...

4 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

But it never happens, right? Until an NHL player says it does. 

And, yes, the story I heard is that Swedes do it more than others, but even in that quote I said not 100% of them. Plus I'm sure it applies to others as well.

It's so nice to have an NHL player confirm a story that has been kicked around a lot before. I guess I'll have to work on the over the top stuff...

Who is making this argument?

Helm's girlfriend's dog told you swedes are lazy? I'll make a note of that