• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

Darren Raddysh

Rate this topic

I don't know if I'm missing something here , but here's a 21 yr old right shooting offensive D-man that's 6'1" and 200lb. His stats are eye opening for a forward let alone a defenseman and yet the kid went undrafted and unless I'm mistaken no team has offered him at least an entry level contract. Surely , unless we have our 50 contracts already an offer sheet wouldn't be a issue, it seems a no Brainer to me or is there some underlying issue with the kid? 

46 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

I don't know if I'm missing something here , but here's a 21 yr old right shooting offensive D-man that's 6'1" and 200lb. His stats are eye opening for a forward let alone a defenseman and yet the kid went undrafted and unless I'm mistaken no team has offered him at least an entry level contract. Surely , unless we have our 50 contracts already an offer sheet wouldn't be a issue, it seems a no Brainer to me or is there some underlying issue with the kid? 

Skating seems to be his biggest issue. Here's a quote from Brock Otten:

"Raddysh is an excellent two-way defender. He doesn’t possess elite athleticism or size, which is likely why he has never been drafted. His skating has improved a lot over the course of his OHL career, to the point of it being average now. His straight line speed and acceleration will never be elite, but he’s worked hard to improve his overall mobility to make himself one of the better defenders in the OHL. His gap control and defensive awareness is excellent and he plays with a lot of moxy, be it battling in the corners or putting his body on the line to block a shot. Offensively, he has one of the best stretch passes in the entire OHL and has fantastic vision. His ability to start the breakout is a major asset, as he’s always got his head up, looking to get the puck to Erie’s high powered, skilled forwards. Again, he’s not a dynamic skater and isn’t the type to be a major factor leading a rush deep into offensive territory. Instead, he uses his passing skills, vision, and intelligence to carve apart gaps in the defense. He excels as a powerplay QB for this reason as well."

I watched a couple Erie games this year to watch Sambrook and both stood out in a positive way to me. One of the games I watched was a blowout where Darren scored a goal and added a couple assists and looked dominant in all three zones. His skating didn't appear to be that off to me. I'd definitely be okay with giving him a contract. Still disappointed we didn't draft his brother Taylor in last years draft though. Of course Yzerman snagged him late in the 2nd round...

EDIT: Beat me to it Nondescript...

Edited by krsmith17

His stats are not really eye opening, but decent.  However, the big issue is that he put up decent stats as a 21 year old playing in junior.  I'm not sure there are many NHLers (decent ones anyway) that played junior at the age of 21.  The Crosby's of the world are out of junior by 18, the really good players are done by 19, after that you are into borderline guys and they often end up in AHL if not NHL by 20...very rare to have 21 year old playing junior and then jumping to NHL....but you never know.  

Maybe I'm easily swayed, but 81pts in 62 games with a +62 made me look twice. I get hes overage and playing on a top top team in Erie but he must have some upside. Still will be interesting to see if anyone takes a chance on him. 

Get the spelling right if your trying to be funny Dickie. 

Funny how a lot of scouts were writing him off due to 

His skating and now almost all the league are trying

To get in on him. Will be intriguing to see where/ if he 

Gets a NHL contract.

I've never seen the kid play, but the Hockey News profiled him recently and said his skating was good.  They said he hit a major grown spurt (grew two inches and gained 35 lbs) since 2012 so maybe he just needed the added strength to find his stride.  I don't know.  Anyway, here's the article for anyone who's interested.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/article/teams-lining-up-to-sign-erie-defenseman-darren-raddysh

Raddysh will receive a contract from an NHL team, no question, and I'd be okay with Holland offering him one. It never hurts to have depth, but we really need a top end guy, and I highly doubt Darren Raddysh is that. But hey, maybe he could convince his brother Taylor to sign with the Wings...

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Doesn't his brother play for Tampa? Maybe he'll go there

Drafted by Tampa, and could possibly make the team this year. But yeah, that's what I was thinking could likely happen as well.