• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyukian-Deke

#9 Pick Selections 2007-2016

Rate this topic

Just a little history of the 9th overall pick from the last 10 drafts. Not too shabby actually. 

2016) Mikhail Sergachev

2015) Timo Meier

2014) Nikolaj Ehlers

2013) Bo Horvat

2012) Jacob Trouba

2011) Dougie Hamilton

2010) Mikael Granlund

2009) Jared Cowen

2008) Josh Bailey

2007) Logan Couture

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

43 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Hahaha f*** man. But yeah, it's not too bad a list. Not gonna find a  Couture or Trouba in this draft though.

I look at the list and see 7 solid NHL players(not super stars but guys who could def help the Wings), 2 young promising players, and one bust in Cowen. Although Cowen was a huge reach when he was drafted 9th so that was sort of expected.

37 minutes ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

I look at the list and see 7 solid NHL players(not super stars but guys who could def help the Wings), 2 young promising players, and one bust in Cowen. Although Cowen was a huge reach when he was drafted 9th so that was sort of expected.

Yeah I think we'll get someone decent, but I dunno if they'll pay off right away. In Couture's draft year only McDonagh(13), Shattenkirk(14), and Pacioretty(22) really stand out in the players drafted after him, but still some decent names there like Perron.

9 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

Just a little history of the 9th overall pick from the last 10 drafts. Not too shabby actually. 

2016) Mikhail Sergachev

2015) Timo Meier

2014) Nikolaj Ehlers

2013) Bo Horvat

2012) Jacob Trouba

2011) Dougie Hamilton

2010) Mikael Granlund

2009) Jared Cowen

2008) Josh Bailey

2007) Logan Couture

2017) Owen Tippett

It's nice that there appears to be such parity at the top of the draft, better for a team like us.

A lot of reports/buzz/projections etc have us taking Liljegren, has anyone here seen him play? I now Lefty hates him, but anyone else lol?

Edited by kliq

12 minutes ago, kliq said:

It's nice that there appears to be such parity at the top of the draft, better for a team like us.

A lot of reports/buzz/projections etc have us taking Liljegren, has anyone here seen him play? I now Lefty hates him, but anyone else lol?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.wingingitinmotown.com/platform/amp/2017/4/30/15472894/2017-nhl-draft-prospect-timothy-liljegren-drop-could-be-red-wings-gain

54 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Yeah I think we'll get someone decent, but I dunno if they'll pay off right away. In Couture's draft year only McDonagh(13), Shattenkirk(14), and Pacioretty(22) really stand out in the players drafted after him, but still some decent names there like Perron.

Players outside the top 2 or 3 rarely contribute much immediately.  This sin't the NFL where they come in after playing 3 or 4 years of college ball.  These are 18 and 19 year old kids who need to get stronger and work on their game before they're close to NHL ready.

8 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Players outside the top 2 or 3 rarely contribute much immediately.  This sin't the NFL where they come in after playing 3 or 4 years of college ball.  These are 18 and 19 year old kids who need to get stronger and work on their game before they're close to NHL ready.

Yea even last year in a strong draft year only 4 players played meaningful minutes in the regular season this year: Matthews, Laine, Tkachuk, and Chychrun.

5 minutes ago, kliq said:

Ya I saw that article, not a huge fan of WIIM. Thanks for posting though.

I agree they aren't the best source but they voiced some of the same thoughts I had about Liljegren. The bout with Mono really set him back this year. It's hard to miss that much time and then come back strong afterward. I personally think he would be a great pick at #9. He has great vision, moves the puck well and can QB a PP. Something the Wings need.

3 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

I agree they aren't the best source but they voiced some of the same thoughts I had about Liljegren. The bout with Mono really set him back this year. It's hard to miss that much time and then come back strong afterward. I personally think he would be a great pick at #9. He has great vision, moves the puck well and can QB a PP. Something the Wings need.

This. WiiM is pretty meh at best most of the time. But I'd be stoked with liljegren at 9. Still hoping a center drops a little but I'd take him. 

1 hour ago, Shaman said:

This team needs centers much more than D or Ws. They literally have nothing outside of the NHL that resembles a C prospect. 

Ya, what Dickie said. We have Larkin, and AA as center depth and should at least be our future 2nd and 3rd line centers. Who do you see on D with higher upside then these two? We have some unknown's in Dennis Cholowski and Vili Saarijarvi, and Robbie Russo and Joe Hicketts could be ok, but I dont think they have a higher upside then Larkin and AA.

6 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Yes I'm aware.

22 hours ago, kliq said:

Ya, what Dickie said. We have Larkin, and AA as center depth and should at least be our future 2nd and 3rd line centers. Who do you see on D with higher upside then these two? We have some unknown's in Dennis Cholowski and Vili Saarijarvi, and Robbie Russo and Joe Hicketts could be ok, but I dont think they have a higher upside then Larkin and AA.

Hronek looks like he may be a good one. 

37 minutes ago, BringBack19 said:

Hronek looks like he may be a good one. 

I hope so, if he does pan out with Chowolski it makes that Arizona trade seem ALOT better. So hard to tell with D though.

9 looking like a lucky pick, hopefully I didn't jinx it. Even in the awful 2012 draft it was a good pick. When it comes to immediate impact, only players that come to mind being drafted after 9 are Chychrun, Pastrnak, and Fowler. Come to think of it the Fowler situation is the dream situation for us. That year, Anaheim missed out on a playoff spot, Fowler (incredibly) dropped 7-8 spots for them to draft, and Anaheim gets back in the playoffs with his help.

Wings miss out on a playoff spot, Liljegren drops to the Wings draft position, and we make the playoffs as he's slotted into a 3/4 spot.  

On 4/30/2017 at 2:55 PM, kliq said:

AA hasn't played significant time as a center in a few years. He was never a very good center in the CHL, because he isn't very good defensively and doesn't distribute the puck at all. He was moved to wing and has pretty much stayed there since. AA is not a center prospect, he is a winger.

1 hour ago, Shaman said:

AA hasn't played significant time as a center in a few years. He was never a very good center in the CHL, because he isn't very good defensively and doesn't distribute the puck at all. He was moved to wing and has pretty much stayed there since. AA is not a center prospect, he is a winger.

Cant agree or disagree with that, I didnt watch him enough in the OHL to assess that, but based on the fact he had success in the OHL, I find that hard to believe. Either way, I'm not saying 1st or 2nd line center, I'm saying he would be a very good 3rd line center.

19 minutes ago, kliq said:

Cant agree or disagree with that, I didnt watch him enough in the OHL to assess that, but based on the fact he had success in the OHL, I find that hard to believe. Either way, I'm not saying 1st or 2nd line center, I'm saying he would be a very good 3rd line center.

He's not a good center. His skill set doesn't work well with being a center. As for the OHL he was listed as a center but he played left wing for the colts: http://barriecolts.com/colts-andreas-athanasiou-assigned-to-grand-rapids

Edited by Shaman

38 minutes ago, Shaman said:

He's not a good center. His skill set doesn't work well with being a center. As for the OHL he was listed as a center but he played left wing for the colts: http://barriecolts.com/colts-andreas-athanasiou-assigned-to-grand-rapids

It doesn't say anything about him being a bad Center in that article, or about him playing center, Like I said, I didnt watch him play enough in junior to have a strong opinion either way.