• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Datsyukian-Deke

#9 Pick Selections 2007-2016

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, kliq said:

It doesn't say anything about him being a bad Center in that article, or about him playing center, Like I said, I didnt watch him play enough in junior to have a strong opinion either way.

It says he wasn't used as a center. He played as far back as juniors on the wing. His skill set and his usage makes him a winger.

14 minutes ago, Shaman said:

It says he wasn't used as a center. He played as far back as juniors on the wing. His skill set and his usage makes him a winger.

Maybe I'm just blind, but where do you see it say that?

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday reassigned left wing Andreas Athanasiou and defenseman Mattias Backman to the Grand Rapids Griffins. In addition, the Griffins signed center Mattias Janmark to an amateur tryout.

Athanasiou, 19, earned 95 points (49-46—95) and 52 penalty minutes in 66 games with the Ontario Hockey League’s Barrie Colts this season, while posting 12 points (3-9—12) in 11 games with the team during the 2014 OHL Playoffs. The Woodbridge, Ontario, native tallied 59 points (33-26—59) and 43 PIM with the London Knights from 2010-12, before being traded to Barrie for a second-round pick in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection, a third-round pick in the 2014 OHL Priority Selection and a conditional second-round pick in the 2015 OHL Priority Selection.

Detroit’s fourth choice (110th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Athanasiou has notched a total of 162 points (78-84—162) and 82 PIM in 132 games since joining the Colts. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Athanasiou was named the OHL Player of the Week for the week ending Feb. 16 after leading the league with eight points (6-2—8) in four games and owning a plus-four rating.

A native of Linkoping, Sweden, Backman collected 21 points (6-15—21), 16 PIM and a plus-25 rating in 54 games with the Swedish Hockey League’s Linkopings Hockey Club during the 2013-14 campaign. Detroit’s fifth choice (146th overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Backman potted seven points (0-7—7), six penalty minutes and a plus-four rating in 13 playoff games with Linkopings this season. In 2012, the 6-foot-2, 176-pound defenseman won a gold medal with Sweden at the IIHF World Junior Championship.

A native of Danderyd, Sweden, Janmark was Detroit’s third choice (79th overall) in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Janmark has played three seasons with the SHL’s AIK from 2011-14, earning 61 points (32-29—61) and 90 penalty minutes in 118 games. The 21-year-old Janmark ranked among AIK leaders with 30 points (1st), 18 goals (1st), 12 assists (T6th) and 56 PIM (1st) during the 2013-14 season.

The Griffins will return to Van Andel Arena on Friday to battle the Lake Erie Monsters in their regular season home finale, before closing out the campaign with a rematch against the Monsters at Quicken Loans Arena on Saturday. Both games will begin at 7 p.m.

Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2. Single-game tickets for all home games are now available for purchase at all Star Tickets locations, including The Zone, online through griffinshockey.com, or by phone through Star Tickets at (800) 585-3737.

50 minutes ago, kliq said:

Maybe I'm just blind, but where do you see it say that?

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – The Detroit Red Wings on Tuesday reassigned left wing Andreas Athanasiou and defenseman Mattias Backman to the Grand Rapids Griffins. In addition, the Griffins signed center Mattias Janmark to an amateur tryout.

Athanasiou, 19, earned 95 points (49-46—95) and 52 penalty minutes in 66 games with the Ontario Hockey League’s Barrie Colts this season, while posting 12 points (3-9—12) in 11 games with the team during the 2014 OHL Playoffs. The Woodbridge, Ontario, native tallied 59 points (33-26—59) and 43 PIM with the London Knights from 2010-12, before being traded to Barrie for a second-round pick in the 2013 OHL Priority Selection, a third-round pick in the 2014 OHL Priority Selection and a conditional second-round pick in the 2015 OHL Priority Selection.

Detroit’s fourth choice (110th overall) in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, Athanasiou has notched a total of 162 points (78-84—162) and 82 PIM in 132 games since joining the Colts. The 6-foot-2, 200-pound Athanasiou was named the OHL Player of the Week for the week ending Feb. 16 after leading the league with eight points (6-2—8) in four games and owning a plus-four rating.

A native of Linkoping, Sweden, Backman collected 21 points (6-15—21), 16 PIM and a plus-25 rating in 54 games with the Swedish Hockey League’s Linkopings Hockey Club during the 2013-14 campaign. Detroit’s fifth choice (146th overall) in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Backman potted seven points (0-7—7), six penalty minutes and a plus-four rating in 13 playoff games with Linkopings this season. In 2012, the 6-foot-2, 176-pound defenseman won a gold medal with Sweden at the IIHF World Junior Championship.

A native of Danderyd, Sweden, Janmark was Detroit’s third choice (79th overall) in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft. Janmark has played three seasons with the SHL’s AIK from 2011-14, earning 61 points (32-29—61) and 90 penalty minutes in 118 games. The 21-year-old Janmark ranked among AIK leaders with 30 points (1st), 18 goals (1st), 12 assists (T6th) and 56 PIM (1st) during the 2013-14 season.

The Griffins will return to Van Andel Arena on Friday to battle the Lake Erie Monsters in their regular season home finale, before closing out the campaign with a rematch against the Monsters at Quicken Loans Arena on Saturday. Both games will begin at 7 p.m.

Fans can secure their full-season, select-season or group ticket packages by calling (616) 774-4585 ext. 2. Single-game tickets for all home games are now available for purchase at all Star Tickets locations, including The Zone, online through griffinshockey.com, or by phone through Star Tickets at (800) 585-3737.

The press release calls him a left wing. If he were used as a center they would call him a center. Especially because he was drafted in the OHL as a center. He was converted to a winger.

6 minutes ago, Shaman said:

The press release calls him a left wing. If he were used as a center they would call him a center. Especially because he was drafted in the OHL as a center. He was converted to a winger.

That's not what you said though, your exact words were "It says he wasn't used as a center." which it doesn't.

Either way, what a press release from 3 years ago from the Barrie Colts website says really is not important. Hockeysfuture.com also lists him as a LW, in an article in the freep he says he prefers playing center, I'm sure he has gone back and forth.

Either way, my hope is that he can settle into being our 3rd line center, or if the coaching staff thinks he is better suited at winger, a top 6 winger. I prefer center because centers are harder to come by.

Why are you guys arguing about whether we should take a center or defenseman? You guys know there is more than one round right? Take the best available player and then address the other position in the 2nd round or the 3rd when we have four 3rd rounders.

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

14 hours ago, kliq said:

That's the tough thing with D, with guys like Hronek, Saarijarvi and Chowolski we could have three top 4 D-men OR three busts, its so hard to tell this early.

I mean, "Who do you see on D with higher upside than Larkin and Athanasiou?" is sort of an unfair question for that reason. Granted, I realize you were asking that question in response to the claim that we need centermen more than we need defensemen.

Personally, I've been extremely impressed by Hronek and Saarijarvi.

Red Wings prospect Filip Hronek named Saginaw Spirit MVP

Vili Saarijarvi Nominated For OHL Defenceman Of The Year

Excellent skaters, high-end skill sets. They know how to move the puck, make plays, generate offense, create goals. If a defenseman comes along and singlehandedly saves the Red Wings' blue line, he'll be a player in this mold.

Jordan Sambrook has had a good year.

Red Wings' defensive prospects set to faceoff in OHL Finals

Hicketts put up 7 goals and 34 points for the Griffins this season, which is pretty good for an undersized AHL rookie defenseman. Cholowski...not sold on him, but The Powers That Be clearly believe in his potential, so I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Overall, I like what we have in the D pipeline. No sure things, but we do have a couple players worth getting excited about.

In terms of centermen...dunno that we have anyone in the pipeline who looks like a potential Zetterberg replacement. Ehn and Holmstrom and Turgeon are probably bottom-sixers, if that.

Larkin's good, but I think the jury is still out on his career potential. AA, to me, is indeed looking like a winger.

Story_27.png

I dunno. We need both centermen and defensemen. And we don't not need wingers and goalies.

Take the best player available with the first-round pick and maybe the second-round pick. If we're going to draft for perceived need, we should do it with the later picks.

On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 0:47 PM, kliq said:

It's nice that there appears to be such parity at the top of the draft, better for a team like us.

A lot of reports/buzz/projections etc have us taking Liljegren, has anyone here seen him play? I now Lefty hates him, but anyone else lol?

I'd be much happier with Liljegren than Pettersson.

Tippett, Hague, Suzuki, Liljegren. That would be my preferred order. One if the other isn't available. Liljegren is at least a position of need, he's RH'd, and if Lidstrom is recommending him, that's a pretty good reference. 

1 hour ago, puckbags said:

Take the best d man available unless things go off the rails before our pick.  

Unless the best d-man isn't a project player (spoiler alert they all look that way this year), I would draft them lower in the draft this year and focus on getting some centers.

1 minute ago, Shaman said:

Unless the best d-man isn't a project player (spoiler alert they all look that way this year), I would draft them lower in the draft this year and focus on getting some centers.

Thats your opinion, this team is full of average d men. Green is the only guy I would put above average.  We pick a d man at 9 he is instantly the best d prospect in this organization.  Can also get centers later in the draft. We are going to get Ejdsell anyways 

8 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'd be much happier with Liljegren than Pettersson.

Tippett, Hague, Suzuki, Liljegren. That would be my preferred order. One if the other isn't available. Liljegren is at least a position of need, he's RH'd, and if Lidstrom is recommending him, that's a pretty good reference. 

If Lidstrom recommended for me to take a kick to the nuts, I'd strongly consider it. 

8 hours ago, puckbags said:

Thats your opinion, this team is full of average d men. Green is the only guy I would put above average.  We pick a d man at 9 he is instantly the best d prospect in this organization.  Can also get centers later in the draft. We are going to get Ejdsell anyways 

Ejdsell is a 21 year old who hasn't cracked SEL yet. The chances of him being a top center are low, and beyond that Chicago and Nashville both want him as well, so it's not even a done deal. Also top centers are a lot harder to find down the draft, boom/bust defense prospects aren't nearly as hard to find.

I'm mixed on Liljegren....I had a really awful case of mono when I was about his age.  It took me a lot longer than a few months to fell "normal" again and I wasn't an elite athlete trying to compete in an exhausting sport like hockey.   He could represent fantastic value at nine.  

But..we really need a C with top six potential.  Nosek and Turgeon look like 3rd and 4th line centers and I haven't seen enough of Axel or Ehn to determine where they might fit.  Getting a guy like Glass, Suzuki, Necas...or even trading up to get Mittlestadt...would give us a higher ceiling C who can play the game at a faster pace.  I think AA and Larkin should both be on the wing.  We need to find some C's who can keep up with them.  Although I have to admit...Liljegren at 9 or Tippett at 9 would be awfully hard to pass up.   You could still get a value prospect at C like Thomas or Lodnia at the top of rd 2

Would love it if we landed a Suzuki or Glass at nine and then traded up back into the 1st for a bigger D like Foote or Hague.

And let's not forget Patrick Holway...he apparently made some strides at Maine in his freshman year. He's a big D with some skill.  Hopefully the skating will catch up as he fills out.

Theoretic rebuilding is fun...it's like we're molding clay

Edited by Nondescript_D

I still want a forward (preferably center / preferably right handed) with our 1st rounder, and take a bunch of defensemen in the 2nd and 3rd rounds... I'd also like to see us add another 1st or 2nd using roster players / prospects or other draft picks.

14 minutes ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

I understand our beloved organization is lacking in just about every position but the wing, but aren't defensemen more costly to develop than forwards? If this is true, shouldn't we take the best defenseman in the draft?

Like how? Do defensemen eat more bagels than forwards at team breakfast or something?

1 hour ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

I understand our beloved organization is lacking in just about every position but the wing, but aren't defensemen more costly to develop than forwards? If this is true, shouldn't we take the best defenseman in the draft?

The issue is more that Defenseman are harder to assess at such a young age then forwards. Highly drafted forwards have a higher success rate the highly drafted D-men. While a large % of top D-men in the league were actually drafted later in the draft. I'm pretty sure Keith, Subban, Letang, Weber etc, were all picked way way way out of the top 10. I posted a breakdown at an earlier time that I can find if anyone wants to see it.

15 minutes ago, kliq said:

The issue is more that Defenseman are harder to assess at such a young age then forwards. Highly drafted forwards have a higher success rate the highly drafted D-men. While a large % of top D-men in the league were actually drafted later in the draft. I'm pretty sure Keith, Subban, Letang, Weber etc, were all picked way way way out of the top 10. I posted a breakdown at an earlier time that I can find if anyone wants to see it.

I definitely would be interested in that breakdown.

There was a rumour a few years back about Kopitar wanting to come here before he signed his extension in LA.

We badly need that #1 C , if the rumors that Tavares could be available I'd be all over that. But again at what cost ? 

Edited by Andy Pred 48

There was a rumour a few years back about Kopitar wanting to come here before he signed his extension in LA.
We badly need that #1 C , if the rumors that Tavares could be available I'd be all over that. But again at what cost ? 

I meant in the draft. No free agents for awhile unless it's a one year deal for deadline fodder

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk