• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
brett

Red Wings drop 2 spots, will pick 9th in NHL Draft

Rate this topic

Trying to find the silver lining here. Maybe with falling to 9, we won't get anyone that is going to save the franchise in the upcoming season. Which means we will be back in the same place next year with a much deeper draft. If we pull a Philly and get lucky next year it will be a blessing. 

Just now, Dabura said:

I'm hoping Suzuki is available at 9th, and I think there's a pretty decent chance he is. I'd be totally fine with him being our guy.

I like Suzuki but not at 9. If we traded back to 10-15 and drafted him and got an addtional pick then I would be very very happy with it.

Well that sucked. I'm glad Colorado didnt get it though.

I just did a mock draft lol, and it has us taking Mittlestadt.

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2017-draft/mock-draft/

I just clicked through, and we got Tippett at #9. It only takes a few dumb GM's to fall in love with another player for him to drop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

I like Suzuki but not at 9. If we traded back to 10-15 and drafted him and got an addtional pick then I would be very very happy with it.

It's been posted before, but...

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/4/13/15288602/dr-dangles-prospect-profiles-nick-suzuki-c-owen-sound-attack-37

I've seen him play and I really, really like him. Potentially a big-time sleeper pick.

Could just as easily be a reach or a bust, though, so I get where you're coming from.

Edited by Dabura

3 minutes ago, Dabura said:

It's been posted before, but...

http://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/4/13/15288602/dr-dangles-prospect-profiles-nick-suzuki-c-owen-sound-attack-37

I've seen him play and I really, really like him. Potentially a big-time sleeper pick.

Could just as easily be a reach or a bust, though, so I get where you're coming from.

The talent is there no question. The reason he isn't top 5 is his size. Not that that is an end all in the NHL cuz there have been many success stories with small forwards, but size is becoming more of a premium. 

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

29 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

So WPG drafts #9 in 2012 and gets Trouba.  They season him for 4 years and he blossoms.  Then they trade him for a 2017 #9 in a really weak draft class.  Ken Holland isn't capable of making a trade for John Scott, but he's going to pull off this miracle?

When did I say it would take only the first round pick to get Trouba? I get you just love to argue with people on the internet, but find someone else.

Just now, Datsyukian-Deke said:

The talent is there no question. The reason he isn't top 5 is his size. Not that is an end all in the NHL cuz their have been many success stories with small forwards, but size is becoming more of a premium. 

Size is overrated, IMO. Players may be getting bigger on the whole, but the game is getting faster and there are countless non-big players with high-end talent that are thriving. Jean-Gabriel Pageau is 5'9" and he just scored four goals in a single playoff game, including the double-OT winner.

I mean, I don't disagree that Suzuki's stature is a big reason why he's not ranked higher. But I think that's more a reflection of institutionalized bias (Michael Rasmussen is getting a lot of love from scouts because he's big and he "goes to the net") than it is a significant point of concern regarding Suzuki's NHL potential.

As much as I'd love trouba I don't think we're gonna win the cup with him or without him , so I'd say we keep the players we'd likely have to lose (Larkin,mantha,athanasiou,mrazek,svechnikov) and just wait Till he comes home at no cost

try and trade for a teams promising d and hope we hit a homerun in the meantime (ducks,canes,flyers have a bunch of good kids)

draft a dman at 9 or fall back a few spots and get another pick ... Right now we have 6 picks top 3 rounds and I'd love to see us draft 4-5dmen

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

9 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

No, I'm just making sure everyone knows that it's going to take 1 of Larkin or Mantha, 1 of Ouellet or Jensen, and our first round pick to pull a Trouba or a Fowler trade off.  It gets old talking about trades that Ken Holland has zero chance of making.  Howard, Ericsson, and our 2nd round pick are NOT what WPG wants.

Can you at least say this is your opinion, you are saying it like it's fact which is simply untrue. Rumors last year were that Winnipeg wanted Larkin and a winger, and who even knows for sure if that was true.

9th overall. That sucks. Oh well, hopefully we can draft a gem.

Cant believe NJ's luck. Philly and Dallas had a horseshoe up their asses too it seems. Really happy that Vancouver dropped to 5th after their blatant tank. Same with Colorado dropping to 4th. Their  record was so abysmal it reeks of throwing in the towel from October on. Why couldn't these results have happened to Edmonton a couple times they won the four first overalls in like six years? At least one was a bust, one was traded, Nuge is solid, but hardly a star. They scored huge with McDavid though.

Edited by chaps80

9th overall. That sucks. Oh well, hopefully we can draft a gem.
Cant believe NJ's luck. Philly and Dallas had a horseshoe up their asses too it seems. Really happy that Vancouver dropped to 5th after their blatant tank. Same with Colorado dropping to 4th. Their  record was so abysmal it reeks of throwing in the towel from October on. Why couldn't these results have happened to Edmonton a couple times they won the four first overalls in like six years?

It will be some undersized unheard of sleeper pick who had a few good weeks before the end of the season. Personally I would like Foote or Vilardi.

Canuck fans must be furious they have again dropped a few spots.

7 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

What a great season this team couldn*t even finish the tankjob the right way haha.

Hahaha yeah it sucks. 7th to 9th isn't bad though. Really sucks being Colorado and Vancouver each dropping to 4th and 5th from 1st and 2nd. Lol

2 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

It will be some undersized unheard of sleeper pick who had a few good weeks before the end of the season. Personally I would like Foote or Vilardi.

Canuck fans must be furious they have again dropped a few spots.

Yeah Holland will pick some guy no ones ever heard of that would still have been available in the third round, totally ignoring the BEST AVAILABLE REGARDLESS OF POSITION. Wings need defence, but that doesn't mean they HAVE to draft a d-man. Take the best you can get. If it's a forward, so be it. Use the player in a trade for what you need.

Yeah Holland will pick some guy no ones ever heard of that would still have been available in the third round, totally ignoring the BEST AVAILABLE REGARDLESS OF POSITION. Wings need defence, but that doesn't mean they HAVE to draft a d-man. Take the best you can get. If it's a forward, so be it. Use the player in a trade for what you need.

The problem is at that range even if you trade the guy you aren't getting what you need. Brand new shiny arena but no starpotential talent to watch haha, what a great way to go into a new building. This will be a long year, would like to already fast forward to the 2018 draft and hopefully the Wings with some luck get at least a top 4 pick

8 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

If the Jets were willing to let Trouba go for the 9th and not much else, go for it.  Same for Hamilton or any other young defenseman.  I'd rather get them than the next McIlrath.  If they wanted a whole lot more, take the risk with the pick.

Agreed. 9th pick straight up for Trouba or Hamilton or similar. If teams want more, keep the pick. It's the Wings first top ten pick since when? The 80's? Weak draft or not, that's worth a lot to the franchise entering a rebuild stage. 

11 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

How did the Flyers move up so much?  I say a conspiracy by NBC, as the Flyers play a nationally televised game almost every week.

Yeah, the odds of them getting the 2nd and NJ the 1st were very small. I don't think two teams have moved up that much in a draft in quite awhile.

OK, ya, I'm now confused...what the heck is all that!?!

14 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Agreed. 9th pick straight up for Trouba or Hamilton or similar. If teams want more, keep the pick. It's the Wings first top ten pick since when? The 80's? Weak draft or not, that's worth a lot to the franchise entering a rebuild stage. 

Yeah, the odds of them getting the 2nd and NJ the 1st were very small. I don't think two teams have moved up that much in a draft in quite awhile.

They drafted Primeau 3rd overall in 1990 and Lapointe 10th in 91.