• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chaps80

Bishop signs 6 year $29.5 million deal with Dallas

Rate this topic

22 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/dallas-signs-goalie-ben-bishop-to-new-deal/c-289408136

$4.92 million per season. I thought he'd be asking way more than that. Nill got a steal here.

Nill and Yzerman both got steals in acquiring Bishop.  Tampa's was more of a steal, but this is pretty good for Dallas, considering how desperate they are for a goalie. I thought Bishop could use that desperation against them more in negotiating a larger contract.

14 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Nill and Yzerman both got steals in acquiring Bishop.  Tampa's was more of a steal, but this is pretty good for Dallas, considering how desperate they are for a goalie. I thought Bishop could use that desperation against them more in negotiating a larger contract.

Yeah I have no idea how they came to that low a number, even for a 6 year deal. Plus he'll only be 36 when the contract ends. Nill does have a pile of well paid goalies now to deal with, but both Lehtonen and Niemi's contracts expire after this season. He's gonna have to buy one (likely Niemi) out, bury them in the minors, or give them away for pretty much nothing if Vegas doesn't snag one of the two. Minor detail though.

10 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

They're going to regret this within the next couple years.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Probably, but every team has a contract they regret with the cap in place. Remember when the 2004 Wings had 18 million tied up in goalies? Lol the good days.

42 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Probably, but every team has a contract they regret with the cap in place. Remember when the 2004 Wings had 18 million tied up in goalies? Lol the good days.

I miss the days where cap meant nothing lol. You sign a player to a bad contract, he flops, you move on.

I think this deal will be good for a couple years, then I think it will become Dallas's version of Howard's contract.

Great deal by Nill.  And for a 4th rounder...We're starting to see who had the brains in Detroit. A superior goalie than Howard, younger than Howard, smaller cap hit than Howard. Ya, we didn't want any part of that....meanwhile we have Howard. Modern day version of Sammy St. Laurent. 

...plus a 1st round pick for Eaves. We got a yippie ki ya 3rd for Vanek. I know it was a conditional pick for Eaves, but so was ours...a 3rd or a 3rd. Yay Holland!

Edited by LeftWinger

22 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Great deal by Nill.  And for a 4th rounder...We're starting to see who had the brains in Detroit. A superior goalie than Howard, younger than Howard, smaller cap hit than Howard. Ya, we didn't want any part of that....meanwhile we have Howard. Modern day version of Sammy St. Laurent. 

...plus a 1st round pick for Eaves. We got a yippie ki ya 3rd for Vanek. I know it was a conditional pick for Eaves, but so was ours...a 3rd or a 3rd. Yay Holland!

Currently has 15 million tied up in goalies. Pure genius that Nill is.

4 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Bishop is older than Howard was when he signed his deal, has similar career stats, is coming off his worst year since he was a full time starter, and is making about $700k more a season.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

$4.9M to $5.2M

Bishop is better than Howard and will still be better 6 years from now. 

Nill will ditch the cap problem. He may even dump both his backups.

Eaves? 1st round pick...nuff said.

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

$4.9M to $5.2M

Bishop is better than Howard and will still be better 6 years from now. 

Nill will ditch the cap problem. He may even dump both his backups.

Eaves? 1st round pick...nuff said.

So you would've bought out Howard and signed Bishop to this deal, amirite?

If we were fortunate to be on his trade list, I wouldve given LA a 3rd for him, signed him and left both Howard and Mrazek unprotected. 

1 minute ago, Euro_Twins said:

When the goalie equipment gets smaller next season bishop will be exposed 

So will howard...he'll get worse, and that's almost impossible. 

11 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

If we were fortunate to be on his trade list, I wouldve given LA a 3rd for him, signed him and left both Howard and Mrazek unprotected. 

I know it's Friday, but maybe take it easy on the sauce this early in the evening.

So roll with 3 four million+ goalies. Nice. You and Nill think alike.

52 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Hilarious how you guys were like, we don't want him, he wants top dollar, he'll too expensive...now makes less than Howard. Awesome! Nill hit the lottery!

Why are you trying to make it sound like people want Howard more then Bishop with all things things being equal? You are really simplifying something that is much more complicated.

If we could trade Howard and get rid of his last 2 years, and acquire Bishop for 2 years at the same cap hit, I'm guessing there are not a ton of people that would have an issue with this. This is however not the situation. The reality of the situation is that Howard is under contract for 2 more years, Bishop is under contract for 6 more years. By the time we become contenders, Howard will be long gone. With Bishop, if he were here he would likely be an over paid 30+ goalie in about 3 years and you would start to crap on him just like you do on Howard.

Do you see the difference?

Edited by kliq

3 hours ago, Echolalia said:

Seems like anything Nill and/or Yzerman ever do is praised wildly here.  Didn't Nill's team miss the playoffs just as badly as the Wings did this year?  I don't understand all the LGW blowjobs they get for the stellar work they have done.

Both of those teams look like they may win a playoff series sometime in the next 5 seasons.  That's probably why we're jealous.  

7 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I'm confused I thought Howard had better stats than bishop. I guess I was wrong 

9 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Currently has 15 million tied up in goalies. Pure genius that Nill is.

Lehtonen and Niemi's contracts expire end of next season. Vegas may take Lehtonen, and if not, Nill can buy out Niemi, waive and bury  him if not claimed, or trade him for "future considerations" if any team is interested (doubtful). Either way, one of the two will be gone before next season starts and the other will be a UFA at the end of it.