• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chaps80

Bishop signs 6 year $29.5 million deal with Dallas

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Lehtonen and Niemi's contracts expire end of next season. Vegas may take Lehtonen, and if not, Nill can buy out Niemi, waive and bury  him if not claimed, or trade him for "future considerations" if any team is interested (doubtful). Either way, one of the two will be gone before next season starts and the other will be a UFA at the end of it.

I have a feeling that if the Wings had done the same thing people would be singing a different tune for Holland screwing us up with 3 goalies. 

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I have a feeling that if the Wings had done the same thing people would be singing a different tune for Holland screwing us up with 3 goalies. 

Not me...

Btw, Sens miss playoffs 2 out of the last 3 seasons, now in ECF. Take note Holland...take note.

...with  Bishop we'd have a better chance of winning the Cup within his 6 years than we do with our current goalies throughout thecs system within t bffge next 6 years.
But, alas, none of that matters now. We'll be a lottery team again. 

0.5% vs 0.6% chance. The only thing that will give them a chance in the near future is a change in approach from the GM office.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

...with  Bishop we'd have a better chance of winning the Cup within his 6 years than we do with our current goalies throughout thecs system within t bffge next 6 years.

I doubt that. Bishop is pretty overrated. He was nothing but an NHL backup/AHL starter until he got to Tampa, where he benefitted greatly from a much better team in front of him. Not to say he didn't play well when called upon, but it's hard to suck that bad at stopping pucks when your 6'7 and 220lbs, and add goalie equipment to that, even taller and wider. He just needs to stand there and there's very little to shoot at that he can't stop with little movement. Add a great defense to that and it's very hard to get quality chances on him.

I'd watch how he does in Dallas with the defenders they have. No Stralman or Doughty there. If he played behind the Detroit defense, he wouldn't fair any better than any of their goalies.

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

Well, he's caught a lot of s*** for the 12 million dollar Lehtonen/Niemi tandem dumpster fire already. He had to do something. With only one year each left on their deals which gives him some flexibility, Bishop was a good signing. Had it been 2 years ago, hell no.

Now to see how Bishop fares in Dallas behind a lesser D.

Niemi - aging starter playing terrible

Lehotonen - aging starter playing terrible

Meanwhile Dallas has no goalie prospect ready to move up

Signing Bishop and buying out one of your crap starters makes sense here.

Howard - aging starter still playing great, but plagued with a groin of glass

Mrazek - young starter playing terrible, but will most likely bounce back

Coreau in the pipes to take one of these starters spots in the near future.

Signing Bishop to 5 mil for 6 years makes zero sense here.

The net is by farrrrrr not the position of need on this team. This is just drum beating by the anti Holland crowd who look for every excuse to go "REEEEEEE GM X SIGNED PLAYER X AND HOLLAND DIDNT, HOLLAND MUST DIE"

I get that there's not much hockey news right now, but Nill signing Bishop has no bearing on the Detroit Red Wings. Plenty of teams (who actually desperately need starting goalies) were rumored to be interested in Bishop. We were not one of those teams. And rightly so. The wings should be focused on shedding a goalie, not adding one, especially at that price and term.

Dallas will most likely buyout Niemi as been reported. But even with this, Nill will still have a ton money locked up in his goalies, and now a buyout on top of it. I think Bishop will work out for them, but it would be absolutely hilarious if the pads shrink and Big Ben gets exposed. Nill will be in one of the biggest holes dug by a GM at that point, and that may actually be some good drama.

Coreau is pretty well Bishops size, but I find he tries to be too "athletic", instead of using that size to his advantage like Bishop does. If he kept it simple, he could be a solid NHL goalie. He should get a couple looks this season, hopefully he fares better.

10 minutes ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Glad Im not a Stars fan right now cuz I'd be pretty pissed off at management for having around $16 million in cap space tied up to three goaltenders. In addition, I think the terms of 6 years is a terrible idea.

It is a lot of money, but it will be cut down before the season starts somehow. At worst they'll have Bishop and one of Lehtonen or Niemi for one more season after the expansion draft or a buyout or trade.

6 years is quite a bit to give a goalie, but I'm sure there was a lot of interest in him and he was looking for a long term deal. Just under $5 million a season is less than he could have gotten elsewhere as well. I'd trade his deal for Nielson's. Lol least he'd be moveable.

45 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

It is a lot of money, but it will be cut down before the season starts somehow. At worst they'll have Bishop and one of Lehtonen or Niemi for one more season after the expansion draft or a buyout or trade.

6 years is quite a bit to give a goalie, but I'm sure there was a lot of interest in him and he was looking for a long term deal. Just under $5 million a season is less than he could have gotten elsewhere as well. I'd trade his deal for Nielson's. Lol least he'd be moveable.

If they end up having to buyout then that's just poor management and proof as to why Nill is being overrated. Buying out is not a good thing for a managers resume. 

If this was our team people would be bitching about how the Howard contract was so bad "we had to buy him out" blah blah blah. But when it's Jim Nill "Oh that's okay, sugar daddy Nill will just buy Neimi out and the Bishop deal will be a steal!!" "Silver lining guys!!!!" 

Edited by kickazz

2 hours ago, kickazz said:

If they end up having to buyout then that's just poor management and proof as to why Nill is being overrated. Buying out is not a good thing for a managers resume. 

If this was our team people would be bitching about how the Howard contract was so bad "we had to buy him out" blah blah blah. But when it's Jim Nill "Oh that's okay, sugar daddy Nill will just buy Neimi out and the Bishop deal will be a steal!!" "Silver lining guys!!!!" 

I get what you're saying, but buying out a player isn't some terrible thing, especially with a guy in his last year. This is still a good acquisition and a good deal for Nill, even if Niemi wasn't.

25 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I get what you're saying, but buying out a player isn't some terrible thing, especially with a guy in his last year. This is still a good acquisition and a good deal for Nill, even if Niemi wasn't.

Bishop (right now) is a good deal definately. It addresses a big problem on their team.

Having to buyout niemi is not good. Both Nill and Yzerman have made their fair share of good and bad moves. 

22 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Exactly. He's got on year left on his contract, buying that out won't be bad at all. $3 million total at $1.5 million for two seasons. Buying out Lehtonen would be $1.7 million for two seasons (actual cap hit of $2.7 million in the first season). No buyouts currently on their books. If Holland bought out Howard last summer with three years left and the Weiss buyout already on the books, that's a bit different.

10 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Bishop (right now) is a good deal definately. It addresses a big problem on their team.

Having to buyout niemi is not good. Both Nill and Yzerman have made their fair share of good and bad moves. 

But the Niemi buyout is peanuts. $1.5 million for two seasons. They currently have almost $3 million in cap space with no LTIR used.

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Niemi - aging starter playing terrible

Lehotonen - aging starter playing terrible

Meanwhile Dallas has no goalie prospect ready to move up

Signing Bishop and buying out one of your crap starters makes sense here.

Howard - aging starter still playing great, but plagued with a groin of glass

Mrazek - young starter playing terrible, but will most likely bounce back

Coreau in the pipes to take one of these starters spots in the near future.

Signing Bishop to 5 mil for 6 years makes zero sense here.

The net is by farrrrrr not the position of need on this team. This is just drum beating by the anti Holland crowd who look for every excuse to go "REEEEEEE GM X SIGNED PLAYER X AND HOLLAND DIDNT, HOLLAND MUST DIE"

I get that there's not much hockey news right now, but Nill signing Bishop has no bearing on the Detroit Red Wings. Plenty of teams (who actually desperately need starting goalies) were rumored to be interested in Bishop. We were not one of those teams. And rightly so. The wings should be focused on shedding a goalie, not adding one, especially at that price and term.

Dallas will most likely buyout Niemi as been reported. But even with this, Nill will still have a ton money locked up in his goalies, and now a buyout on top of it. I think Bishop will work out for them, but it would be absolutely hilarious if the pads shrink and Big Ben gets exposed. Nill will be in one of the biggest holes dug by a GM at that point, and that may actually be some good drama.

Coreau is a career minor leaguer/NHL backup.  Joey Mac 2.0

17 hours ago, Keep Your Stick On the Ice said:

Glad Im not a Stars fan right now cuz I'd be pretty pissed off at management for having around $16 million in cap space tied up to three goaltenders. In addition, I think the terms of 6 years is a terrible idea.

Kinda like the almost $10M we have tied up in 2 broken down useless defensemen.

14 hours ago, chaps80 said:

But the Niemi buyout is peanuts. $1.5 million for two seasons. They currently have almost $3 million in cap space with no LTIR used.

They have $16 million tied with 3 goalies. Even if they buyout Neimi they would have  $10 million tied with two goalies and by the time Lehtonen's contract is finally up, they'll have a 33 year old Ben Bishop probably on a decline getting paid as much as a starter. 

They're set up for a disasterous situation. If they get lucky they drop one goalie and end up with two starters for 2 years (which is a s*** situation on it's own). And by the time the second starter is finally gone the current one is older and probably declining. The luck factor is if Bishop is 33 and still playing like he's 28 or something.

Face it, the grass is greener because it's not Holland and Jim Nill.

Edited by kickazz

It's funny how nowadays players are declining when they reach 30. Wasn't long ago you weren't even a UFA until you were 31. Plenty, PLENTY of quality players were signed for multiple years then. Hell, some players didn't even peak until their 30's. Remember all those "too old" Red Wings that just kept winning and winning? You'll all be surprised and shaking your heads when Bishop in 6 years is still better than what we have and still one of the tops in the league.

59 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

It's funny how nowadays players are declining when they reach 30. Wasn't long ago you weren't even a UFA until you were 31. Plenty, PLENTY of quality players were signed for multiple years then. Hell, some players didn't even peak until their 30's. Remember all those "too old" Red Wings that just kept winning and winning? You'll all be surprised and shaking your heads when Bishop in 6 years is still better than what we have and still one of the tops in the league.

You mean the Hall of Famers we had at a time where there was no salary cap so if one regressed it didnt cost us a thing. Yep, exact same thing.

We are not talking Carey Price or Henrik Lundqvist here, we are talking a guy who has been a starter for only 4 seasons, just hit 30, is coming off the worst season of his career, and is a likely person to be effected by equipment changes. 

This may prove to be a good move for Dallas, but it's just not a smart move for a team like ours that is re-building. 

16 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

The wings were always too old. All of them, not just the hof'ers. 

They were also a contender, if we were a contender taking on Bishop would not be as big of a deal. The fact of the matter is we are not so that is not a good contract for us.

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

They have $16 million tied with 3 goalies. Even if they buyout Neimi they would have  $10 million tied with two goalies and by the time Lehtonen's contract is finally up, they'll have a 33 year old Ben Bishop probably on a decline getting paid as much as a starter. 

They're set up for a disasterous situation. If they get lucky they drop one goalie and end up with two starters for 2 years (which is a s*** situation on it's own). And by the time the second starter is finally gone the current one is older and probably declining. The luck factor is if Bishop is 33 and still playing like he's 28 or something.

Face it, the grass is greener because it's not Holland and Jim Nill.

Well, if they buy out Niemi, they have around $13 million for three goalies for one year technically, but two on the roster. Niemi should find at least a backup job elsewhere. After next season, Lehtonen's contract is done. So they have Bishop at $5 million and Niemi's $1.5 million buyout for one season, plus a backup at $1.5 million give or take for $8 million total, which is average or less around the league.

So yeah, Nill made a mistake with Lehtonen/Niemi, but that's been known for awhile. He signed probably the top UFA goalie available for less than $5 million a season, has a $13 million goalie cap hit for one more season (already had $11 million anyways), then down to $8 million for one, then around $6.5 million after that.

Bad moves, but good job fixing them imo. I think some Stars fans can forgive him for those blunders with moves like Eriksson for Seguin and Eaves for a first rounder too. Then again, some are never happy.

10 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Well, if they buy out Niemi, they have around $13 million for three goalies for one year technically, but two on the roster. Niemi should find at least a backup job elsewhere. After next season, Lehtonen's contract is done. So they have Bishop at $5 million and Niemi's $1.5 million buyout for one season, plus a backup at $1.5 million give or take for $8 million total, which is average or less around the league.

So yeah, Nill made a mistake with Lehtonen/Niemi, but that's been known for awhile. He signed probably the top UFA goalie available for less than $5 million a season, has a $13 million goalie cap hit for one more season (already had $11 million anyways), then down to $8 million for one, then around $6.5 million after that.

Bad moves, but good job fixing them imo. I think some Stars fans can forgive him for those blunders with moves like Eriksson for Seguin and Eaves for a first rounder too. Then again, some are never happy.

It's a gamble. 

Edited by kickazz

13 minutes ago, kickazz said:

This deal is good because it's Jim Nill. 

5 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Lehtonen is on the books for 2 more years not 1. So it's $13 million (or whatever figure you're saying) for 2 years. It's a gamble. 

It's a good deal because Dallas needed a goalie. And Lehtonen is only signed through next season. The cap isn't a big deal, since they have plenty of room.

Yeah, people would ***** if it was Holland, because people would ***** about anything Holland did, because fans are frustrated and need a target to vent at. That doesn't mean it's actually bad. 

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

The wings were always too old. All of them, not just the hof'ers. 

That was never really true though (except maybe 2002, with all the HoF-ers). In the mid/late-90s, most of our key players were in their mid/late-20s. Same for the post-02 years. Sure, we had some older players, but mostly future HoFers or role-players.

Not that it matters though. Yeah, Bishop is likely to decline (and he probably isn't as good as some think anyway), but he is still one of the best options available and the deal isn't likely to be of any significant concern.