• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
chaps80

Bishop signs 6 year $29.5 million deal with Dallas

Rate this topic

Holland isn't in a bad situation anymore goalie wise either. Mrazek has one season left at $4 million, and Howard two at $5.2 million. 

The ideal situation would be that Mrazek rebounds and signs a long term extension. Even if he doesn't rebound fully, but plays respectable, he's still an RFA, so Holland has negotiating room at arbitration (if it goes that far) for a one season deal for cheaper if he doesn't want to give up on him yet. If Howard stays healthy and plays like he did last year in the minimal games he did play, then Holland should be able to trade him. If he can't, and Mrazek has played well enough, and he is comfortable having him be the starter full time going forward, then Holland can buy out the last year of his deal for $2.5 million in 2018/19, and $1.5 million in 2019/20.

Then promote a backup from within (Coreau/Matej), or sign a journeyman NHL backup. Both would be cheap options. With Mrazek's extension, Howard's buyout, and a cheap backup, should be less than $10 million for a season, then down to $7 million (maybe less) or so a season after that.

I saw some earlier comments praising nill for the bishop contract ....this had nothing to do with him being a great gm , bishop basically had no leverage , it's either Dallas Calgary jets or maybe flyers?  

Dallas also has lower taxes, American market .. Done deal 

Howard I do believe can be traded this year , he has 2 years left , if he was a ufa there's no way he'd get signed to a one year deal , maybe we'd have to eat a million off his cap number but it can be done 

1 hour ago, nyqvististhefuture said:

I saw some earlier comments praising nill for the bishop contract ....this had nothing to do with him being a great gm , bishop basically had no leverage , it's either Dallas Calgary jets or maybe flyers?  

Dallas also has lower taxes, American market .. Done deal 

Howard I do believe can be traded this year , he has 2 years left , if he was a ufa there's no way he'd get signed to a one year deal , maybe we'd have to eat a million off his cap number but it can be done 

Calgary would have been a good option if he was strictly looking to go to a playoff team, but money wise, not with our s***ty CDN dollar. Same with Winnipeg, except playoffs are in question. No goalie wants to sign in Philly and curse their career unless the offer is wayyyy too much to refuse (Bryzgalov got rich off them without even playing lol. What was his deal? $10 million a year for ten years, bought out after one?) or if they're a goalie with no other options, like Ray Emery. I'd choose Dallas out of those teams too. There could have been other teams interested too though, just not obvious ones. Like Florida. Luongo is nearly 40, and won't play too much longer. Sign Bishop, leave Luongo exposed. Vegas would probably jump at him.

11 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Calgary would have been a good option if he was strictly looking to go to a playoff team, but money wise, not with our s***ty CDN dollar. Same with Winnipeg, except playoffs are in question. No goalie wants to sign in Philly and curse their career unless the offer is wayyyy too much to refuse (Bryzgalov got rich off them without even playing lol. What was his deal? $10 million a year for ten years, bought out after one?) or if they're a goalie with no other options, like Ray Emery. I'd choose Dallas out of those teams too. There could have been other teams interested too though, just not obvious ones. Like Florida. Luongo is nearly 40, and won't play too much longer. Sign Bishop, leave Luongo exposed. Vegas would probably jump at him.

All else being equal, the low Cdn dollar (it's not that low relatively speaking....but if you are only looking at the last 5 years, then yes, low)....money wise he'd be better in Calgary.  All salaries are paid in USD, so he'd have more purchasing power in Calgary with the lower Cdn dollar.  Some items will even out though (i.e. cars will be more expensive).

However, all else isn't equal.  I'm not going waste the time looking into income taxes, while Alberta has the lowest rates in Canada I believe, Texas has no state income tax, so one of the cheapest states to live (tax wise) in the US, so it you'd definitely pay less tax in Texas than in Alberta.  Sales tax is cheaper in Calgary though (5%) vs. 8.25% in Dallas.

9 hours ago, toby91_ca said:

All else being equal, the low Cdn dollar (it's not that low relatively speaking....but if you are only looking at the last 5 years, then yes, low)....money wise he'd be better in Calgary.  All salaries are paid in USD, so he'd have more purchasing power in Calgary with the lower Cdn dollar.  Some items will even out though (i.e. cars will be more expensive).

However, all else isn't equal.  I'm not going waste the time looking into income taxes, while Alberta has the lowest rates in Canada I believe, Texas has no state income tax, so one of the cheapest states to live (tax wise) in the US, so it you'd definitely pay less tax in Texas than in Alberta.  Sales tax is cheaper in Calgary though (5%) vs. 8.25% in Dallas.

Alberta is 15% provincial tax on anything over $202,800, among the highest, but all provinces are high enough. Lol Federal tax on top of it is 33%.

Sales tax is cheap in Alberta though. Only 5%, compared to 13% in Ontario, 15% in Newfoundland.

14 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

How the hell do people buy anything in countries with taxes like that. I mean, healthcare is "free," meaning prepaid by all those taxes, but damn. I get pissed at what I pay here.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Gotta move to a tax free nation like Dubai or Qatar

On 2017-5-15 at 10:04 PM, DickieDunn said:

How the hell do people buy anything in countries with taxes like that. I mean, healthcare is "free," meaning prepaid by all those taxes, but damn. I get pissed at what I pay here.

I dunno were used to it I guess. We make more money but live a similar lifestyle cause the taxes make up the difference. 

On 2017-05-15 at 10:04 PM, DickieDunn said:

Well, the free health care sure is nice. I just had my gall bladder removed, which was only a one night stay in hospital, but the room for one night, surgery, pre-op emergency care and post-op nurses, medications, etc. would have cost a bundle out of pocket elsewhere. Some do pay high income taxes (the ones that make over a certain dollar amount), but some comes back at tax return time every year. The sales tax is ridiculous though. We've had some horrible Ontario governments in the past (and currently) who have wasted taxpayer dollars on a massive scale, and the only solution is to keep taxes high to keep the coffers full. Alberta has it easy paying only 5%.

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

If hospitals and phamacuetical companies weren't allowed to price gouge we wouldn't have issues with health care costs

Maybe not, but the massive wages health care workers (especially doctors and surgeons) make still has to be covered somehow. Pharmacy costs can be cut down, some meds are ridiculously expensive. Isnt health care run by private companies in the States?

4 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

If hospitals and phamacuetical companies weren't allowed to price gouge we wouldn't have issues with health care costs

Lol at this post. Most hospitals don't even profit off patient care. You are an uninformed individual. 

8 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I was in the hospital with chest pains, got charged $50 for two aspirin. That's not price gouging?

More like $50 for the tests they ran to rule out anything severe and nurses, doctors who did a physical exam to monitor and read ur heart rate, BP and other vitals. Also cost of occupying a bed. Assuming this was the ER.

If clinic then you just have s***ty insurance with a high co-pay.

But you know, it's was obviously those darn aspirins. 

Edited by kickazz

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Ya man. If they just gave you two aspirins cause you said you had chest pains and sent you home without doing tests or an exam or anything for $50, LOL.

:lol:

And that's how malpractice lawyers came to make millions of dollars. 

Edited by kickazz

More like $50 for the tests they ran to rule out anything severe and nurses, doctors who did a physical exam to monitor and read ur heart rate, BP and other vitals. Also cost of occupying a bed. Assuming this was the ER.
If clinic then you just have s***ty insurance with a high co-pay.
But you know, it's was obviously those darn aspirins. 

No, the whole bill was about $3k. I looked at it. $50 for the aspirin.

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

$3000 for tests and 15 cents worth of Aspirin? That's insanity.

9 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

That would be due to our fine nations reimbursement structure.

http://www.healthcarefinancenews.com/blog/why-aspirin-taken-hospital-can-cost-upwards-25

Go to urgent care next time. You'll probably save yourself money and save the hospital money as well.