• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chaps80

2017 ECF: OTTAWA SENATORS VS. PITTSBURGH PENGUINS

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Yak19 said:

When bums like Rowney, Wilson and Maata are racking up points you might as well just show yourself out. Rather actually have the Ducks go through to play the pens since they have the cup experience. Preds would likely choke.

What Cup experience do the Ducks have?  They don't have the same players they had in 2007, other than Perry and Getzlaf.  

8 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

What Cup experience do the Ducks have?  They don't have the same players they had in 2007, other than Perry and Getzlaf.  

Vermette won it with Chicago, Kesler and Bieksa went to the finals with the Nucks

Edited by Yak19

Lose by 7 and not even 1 goal against a timbits quality defense. Sens do not belong here. Series is over.

Really hope the Preds or Ducks realize that Pens defense is vulnerable and jump on it. NHL is becoming unwatchable.

7-0 against the Pens with a patchwork D. That was very very unexpected, with this series being mostly close so far. Anderson's turn for a horrible game I guess, only Ottawa doesn't have a Murray to help out. Only one and done Hamburgler. Anderson better get his head straight, Still one more shot at staying alive going home. Hope they take it to 7 and pull the upset off, but it's not looking great.

7-0. FFS. The Pens just won't go away. They remind me of the Hawks the past few years. Always a horseshoe up their ass when they need it most. Could be losing by one goal with one second left in Game 7 and the centreman would score right off the faceoff. 

2 hours ago, Yak19 said:

Lose by 7 and not even 1 goal against a timbits quality defense. Sens do not belong here. Series is over.

Really hope the Preds or Ducks realize that Pens defense is vulnerable and jump on it. NHL is becoming unwatchable.

The Ducks should be able to hammer the Pens. Hopefully Gibson is good to go for Game 6, cause Bernier won't be enough. If the Preds win, I dunno if I give them much of a shot against the Pens.

4 minutes ago, greenrebellion said:

I don't see how the Preds beat the Pens without Johansen.  Pens are going to be the first team to repeat since the Wings did it.  First 2009 and now this.  I hate the Penguins.

I really hope they don't. That would just open old wounds that haven't and may never fully heal from 2009. That loss was on the Wings, they had it in the bag and collapsed, but that doesn't help things. Having them be the last team to repeat... WHY THEM?? The repeat in '97-'98 is one of the major things we have left from the dynasty days and Stevie era. 

3 hours ago, Yak19 said:

Vermette won it with Chicago, Kesler and Bieksa went to the finals with the Nucks

So in other words, two of the players have losing Cup experience and the other was a passenger on the Hawks dynasty. You make it sound like the Ducks have won multiple Cups with this group.  The experience you reference is negligible.  Besides, experience means nothing if the other team is playing better than you.

Edited by GMRwings1983

56 minutes ago, GMRwings1983 said:

So in other words, two of the players have losing Cup experience and the other was a passenger on the Hawks dynasty. You make it sound like the Ducks have won multiple Cups with this group.  The experience you reference is negligible.  Besides, experience means nothing if the other team is playing better than you.

Vermette is a solid depth player and amazing on faceoffs. Yes Kesler and Bieksa lost but just being there is good for players mentally the 2nd time around. Like i said out of the teams left I really want the Preds to do it but history is not on their side.

You know what the sickest thing about the Penguins repeating is?

They're essentially the 2009 Red Wings. With all the injuries, they keep winning, they keep being great at puck movement, they still have good goaltending and they've got the best coach in the NHL. The 2009 Red Wings didn't repeat. But this Penguins team is probably going to do it.

20 minutes ago, shocky2002 said:

They're essentially the 2009 Red Wings. With all the injuries, they keep winning, they keep being great at puck movement, they still have good goaltending and they've got the best coach in the NHL. The 2009 Red Wings didn't repeat. But this Penguins team is probably going to do it.

Except, they haven't faced any teams as good as the 2009 Ducks and the 2009 Penguins.  The only tough opponent on paper was Washington, and Washington are essentially paper champions.  

Besides, we'll see how the NHL schedules games 1 and 2 of the Finals.  ;)

3 hours ago, shocky2002 said:

This. And I honestly have no issues with them winning it two times in a row. They are, in fact, the best team right now and they also proving (similarly to the Red Wings back in 08 and 09) that having two elite and matured centers is enough to win the Cup.

However, I still have mixed feelings about Pens winning in 09. They were definitely not ready but the NHL used all the tools they had to push them to the Cup. I still believe that 09 Pens is one of the most undeseving champs over 30 years I'm watching NHL.

3 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Besides, we'll see how the NHL schedules games 1 and 2 of the Finals.  ;)

It all starts at 29.05.

i makes me sick to know when i looked at the po layout this year the only team that stood out was the ******* pens i knew they would get here and i know its not over yet but the only team i though might upset them is was and it didnt happend i cant stand thinking they will win the cup again my brother moved to pa earlier this year with my sister in law and mother and he has been rubbing it in even though his a ******* bandwagoner and doesnt know the sport his pissing me off lol

9 hours ago, RusDRW said:

This. And I honestly have no issues with them winning it two times in a row. They are, in fact, the best team right now and they also proving (similarly to the Red Wings back in 08 and 09) that having two elite and matured centers is enough to win the Cup.

However, I still have mixed feelings about Pens winning in 09. They were definitely not ready but the NHL used all the tools they had to push them to the Cup. I still believe that 09 Pens is one of the most undeseving champs over 30 years I'm watching NHL.

The Pens winning the Finals after being down 2-0 was a kick in the balls of great proportions. The whole hockey world just KNEW the Wings were going to repeat. But, after the first two games, things changed. They should have been playing lights out, skate to the throat hockey, but they let the Pens back in it and take it to 7, where the Wings ( and crowd somewhat even) came out flatter than I'd seen in 15 years for a Game 7, AT JLA, one win away from a fifth Cup and a second repeat in just over ten years. Let the Pens get ahead on goals by Pascal ******* Dupuis, and never caught up. Was pretty sickening.

The NHL and Uncle Gary may have tried to help sway things the Pens way, but it shouldn't have been a factor, like it wasn't the previous season. Detroit just ran outta gas. 

Karlsson, Ceci, and Brassard are all confirmed for Game 6. Maybe they were just rested after Game 5 got away, or they have injuries they'll play through with elimination on the line. Do or die! Beat em down!!

2 tickets for Game 6 of the ECF, behind the net at the glass, for  $800 CDN on Ticketbastard. Christ that's cheap. I remember paying the same for 4 tickets in the nosebleeds at the ACC for a regular season Leafs/Wings game. Nosebleeds for Game 6 are $99, and that's resale price.

Tons of tickets still floating around out there for tomorrow night. How can your city's NHL team be 6 wins from their first Cup since the Super Six era , and there's unclaimed seats?

Oh well, better for me. Hopefully the Sens get to the Finals so I can go for a couple games. 

Edited by chaps80

On 5/21/2017 at 11:26 PM, GMRwings1983 said:

Except, they haven't faced any teams as good as the 2009 Ducks and the 2009 Penguins.  The only tough opponent on paper was Washington, and Washington are essentially paper champions. 

I've been saying this for awhile now.  Not that its any fault of the Pens, but they're not having to go through anyone good to win these championships.  Last year they played the Rangers (they own Lundqvist), the Caps (a franchise the Pens have been beating in the playoffs for literally decades), a severely banged up Lightning team and the cinderella Sharks.  This year, they get the Blue Jackets (who turned back into the Jackets we all know and love late in the season), the Caps again, the Sens (who shouldn't even be this deep in the playoffs) and now they'll face the Preds (the lowest seeded team in the entire playoffs).  

Do you remember back in the 90s when the Wings would have to go through the Stars and Avs just to get to the Finals?  The Pens have like a 70-90% chance of winning each series they're in.  Partly due to their talent, of course, but the lack of competition is REALLY helping them out.  Even in 09 they didn't have to face anyone difficult until they got to us and we nearly beat them despite all of our injuries.  Boston and NJ, both teams the Pens struggled against a lot in the regular season, lost to Carolina, who were then swept by the Penguins.

On paper, PIT has had a very difficult road this year.  They finish 2nd overall in the entire league and are awarded with a 1st round series against the 3rd place team in the East (4th overall).  Then 2nd round against President's Trophy winners.

Anyway, what really boggles my mind is why the FINALS are starting next Monday.  I'm sure there is a valid reason that I'm too lazy to look into, but I think it's terrible for everyone.  If PIT wins tonight, there is literally a week without games.  Even if OTT wins tonight, the series will be over on Wed and then there will be no games on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.  I don't get it.  I do think it's pretty bad for the NHL.  Everyone always talks about the playoffs going too late and we have this big break.  No games for a week will have people moving on to other things, especially those that don't have a vested interest in the 2 teams that will be left.

17 minutes ago, toby91_ca said:

On paper, PIT has had a very difficult road this year.  They finish 2nd overall in the entire league and are awarded with a 1st round series against the 3rd place team in the East (4th overall).  Then 2nd round against President's Trophy winners.

Anyway, what really boggles my mind is why the FINALS are starting next Monday.  I'm sure there is a valid reason that I'm too lazy to look into, but I think it's terrible for everyone.  If PIT wins tonight, there is literally a week without games.  Even if OTT wins tonight, the series will be over on Wed and then there will be no games on Friday, Saturday or Sunday.  I don't get it.  I do think it's pretty bad for the NHL.  Everyone always talks about the playoffs going too late and we have this big break.  No games for a week will have people moving on to other things, especially those that don't have a vested interest in the 2 teams that will be left.

Long weekend got you screwed up too? Today is Tuesday and game 7 (if Ottawa wins tonight) will be Thursday. But yeah, I agree, the finals should start Saturday at the latest.