• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

chaps80

Shattenkirk

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Plus I do believe 99% of us wanted him, and wanted Holland to offer more to get him...wouldve been nice...

At the time, hell ya. In a few years those contracts are going to cripple Minny.

55 minutes ago, Andy Pred 48 said:

I'd take Shattenkirk if Green was moved , much the same player except age of course.

I agree, if they were same price (term / cap hit), but I'd much rather re-sign Green to another similar contract (2-3 years at $5.5-6M) then sign Shattenkirk to the contract I expect him to sign (6-7 years at $6.5M+).

On 5/24/2017 at 11:01 AM, chaps80 said:

I understand the goal Holland had in mind of playoffs, but if he looked at his own team's playoff stats since 2014, he'd see the trend (2015 was a bit different when Mrazek stepped up to help take the Bolts to 7, but still.) that they were no longer contenders, and future planning would be prudent. But typical Holland, gets a big chunk of cap by trading Datsyuk's deal ( Bit of a controversy in itself) and promptly burns it. Shoulda stayed pat, or hunted down a solid Dman. Oh well.

My point is that it's a different situation now (and Holland will act accordingly, if he has any sense). The fact that we signed Nielsen last summer doesn't necessarily mean we're going to throw all the moneyz and all the termz at Shattenkirk.

This time last year, The Streak was still a thing. Holland was going to do what he felt he needed to do to keep The Streak going and give his team at least an outside shot at winning a Cup. We can sit here and say Holland should've stood pat and said...

"Datsyuk's gone and, frankly, I don't want to even try to replace him. If we miss the playoffs largely because we lost Datsyuk and I didn't want to even try to replace him, well, so be it. We've had a real good run over the past two and a half decades, but I think I'm ready for it to be over. Hanta yo, baby!"

...but that wasn't going to happen. Even if we're taking it as fact that Holland has always been the one pushing the "Playoffs or bust!" policy (as opposed to it being an Ilitch mandate), I think any of the other 29 GMs probably would've done the same thing. Maybe they don't sign Nielsen, but, IMO, they pay a price to bring in a proven top-six centerman.

And it's not like signing Nielsen and "future planning" were necessarily mutually exclusive. Zetterberg was coming off a disappointing season and it wasn't clear that he'd be able to hold down the 1C spot, and Larkin had spent his rookie season on the wing. In "replacing" Datsyuk, Nielsen would, in theory, be a bridge between Zetterberg and Larkin (and/or Athanasiou).

I'm with Lefty -- I think the Helm deal is less defensible. And add to that the DeKeyser deal and the Abdelkader deal. Nielsen, at least, is a legit top-six centerman. Helm is a bottom-sixer. DeKeyser is a second-pairing defenseman. Abdelkader is a middle-six winger.

Of course, if we're critiquing Holland, we don't have to limit ourselves to the past year. For example, we could argue that if Holland had acquired Brent Burns when he was available, we'd still be contenders in the year 2017.

Edited by Dabura

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

IF they trade Green at the draft or can somehow dump Ericsson, and IF Shattenkirk would accept a 2 or 3 year deal at $5 mil or so, I'd be ok with it.  Only in those circumstances.

I agree with this. I am not anti Shattenkirk, I just don't want a giant contract being given out to him. Under these circumstances I would sign him.

3 hours ago, Nondescript_D said:

Why would Shattenkirk sign for 2 or 3 years at $5 mil...that's like saying "I'll consider it if he'll play for free"

Why did Green?  Everyone "knew" he was going to get some stupid mega deal right up until he signed with Detroit for 3 years.  but you're right, he probably wouldn't, so I don't want any part of him here