Rate this topic

Ok

1. Patrick

2. Hischier 

3. Vilardi

Blah blah blah blah blah

9. Tippett

Blah blah blah blah blah blah 

Detroit trades Green to Edmonton for their 1st, drafts Hague.

Blah blah blah blah...

Well...one can wish!

Edited by LeftWinger

For me this years draft was about Tippett. I don't believe we'll get him. He'll go top 7. Right about where we 'should have picked', +-2. I'm willing to bet some money he'll go 5 or 6 if someone wanna play.

I am hoping for surprises, given that we have quite a few picks, some should pan out. But odds for a game changer is... miniscule. I predict more pain and misery.

Maybe next year.

11 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I think that I hope that I wish.... just blind hope....

And when Holland doesn't grant your wish and your hope, you're going to have a rant fest for days. Rinse and repeat. 

5 hours ago, kickazz said:

And when Holland doesn't grant your wish and your hope, you're going to have a rant fest for days. Rinse and repeat. 

He will grant my wish, it is done.  Owen Tippett, first round pick! 

(Must think positive....positive vibe!)

I highly doubt you would need to trade up to 3 to get any of those guys (maybe Vilardi goes 3rd but I doubt it). Trading up in this year's draft would be terrible. It would cost us major assets to move up to 3rd. Not worth it.

There are about 5 players I'd be okay with drafting at 9 (not including Patrick or Hischier) so one of those guys will likely drop to us. If not, trade back and pick up another late 1st or early 2nd.

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I highly doubt you would need to trade up to 3 to get any of those guys (maybe Vilardi goes 3rd but I doubt it). Trading up in this year's draft would be terrible. It would cost us major assets to move up to 3rd. Not worth it.

There are about 5 players I'd be okay with drafting at 9 (not including Patrick or Hischier) so one of those guys will likely drop to us. If not, trade back and pick up another late 1st or early 2nd.

Out of curiosity, which five would you be okay with that have a reasonable chance of being there at 9? 

31 minutes ago, amato said:

Out of curiosity, which five would you be okay with that have a reasonable chance of being there at 9? 

I don't know about reasonable chance because I fully expect most of these guys to be gone before 9, but I'd like any of Vilardi (will definitely be gone), Glass, Tippett, Suzuki,  Liljegren or Makar at 9. If we're trading back (depending on how far back), I'd like Mittelstadt (likely wouldn't be available in a trade back scenario), Foote, Hague, Necas, Petterson, Thomas... The latter 3, only if we traded way back to the bottom third of the 1st round...

All players listed are in order I'd take them. I was way off the Liljegren hype train for a while, but I'd love if he fell to us at 9.

40 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't know about reasonable chance because I fully expect most of these guys to be gone before 9, but I'd like any of Vilardi (will definitely be gone), Glass, Tippett, Suzuki,  Liljegren or Makar at 9. If we're trading back (depending on how far back), I'd like Mittelstadt (likely wouldn't be available in a trade back scenario), Foote, Hague, Necas, Petterson, Thomas... The latter 3, only if we traded way back to the bottom third of the 1st round...

All players listed are in order I'd take them. I was way off the Liljegren hype train for a while, but I'd love if he fell to us at 9.

yeah unfortunately a few teams ahead of us will likely be targeting d-men. i would love liljegren or makar at 9.. hoping for one of those guys. of the one you listed in the first grouping, suzuki seems the most likely to still be there. Glass I'd say has a reasonable chance as well. 

trading back could be interesting as any of them (minus mittelstadt, who as you've pointed out/i don't think will even be there at 9) could go anywhere from 10-30 it seems. I think the "weak draft" mantra that keeps going around lead to a lot more uncertainty and makes this draft more exciting overall.  

Edited by amato

Yeah, Mittelstadt will most likely be gone in the 7-10 range, and I do think he will be a very good player, just wouldn't be my first choice based on team needs. I know you should take the best player available regardless, especially in the top half of the first round, but I'm just hoping one of the others are available. I agree that Glass has a chance to slip to us, and I would love that pick. I really like Tippett as well, but I think he will be gone before 9. Liljegren would be huge for us, but if we take him, I hope we package a couple of our young defensive prospects. If not we'll end up in a similar situation (Sproul, Ouellet, Jensen, Marchenko) with too many guys (Russo, Hicketts, Cholowski, Hronek, Saarijarvi, Liljegren) trying to break in at the same time again...

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, Mittelstadt will most likely be gone in the 7-10 range, and I do think he will be a very good player, just wouldn't be my first choice based on team needs. I know you should take the best player available regardless, especially in the top half of the first round, but I'm just hoping one of the others are available. I agree that Glass has a chance to slip to us, and I would love that pick. I really like Tippett as well, but I think he will be gone before 9. Liljegren would be huge for us, but if we take him, I hope we package a couple of our young defensive prospects. If not we'll end up in a similar situation (Sproul, Ouellet, Jensen, Marchenko) with too many guys (Russo, Hicketts, Cholowski, Hronek, Saarijarvi, Liljegren) trying to break in at the same time again...

Yeah the progress of our younger defensive prospects so far makes me feel a lot more comfortable about this draft. I still think we should pick 3 d-men in the first three rounds somewhere based on need/ the amount of picks we have. But it's nice to have a little more flexibility than my previous thinking of needing to draft primarily d-men this draft (If that makes sense). 

I don't think we'll have quite the same logjam though. I think Vegas will end up picking one of Ouellet Jensen or Sproul; and isn't Marchenko on the leafs now? 

21 minutes ago, amato said:

Yeah the progress of our younger defensive prospects so far makes me feel a lot more comfortable about this draft. I still think we should pick 3 d-men in the first three rounds somewhere based on need/ the amount of picks we have. But it's nice to have a little more flexibility than my previous thinking of needing to draft primarily d-men this draft (If that makes sense). 

I don't think we'll have quite the same logjam though. I think Vegas will end up picking one of Ouellet Jensen or Sproul; and isn't Marchenko on the leafs now? 

Yeah, I'd like to see us (if we end up with 11 picks) take 5 defensemen and 5 centers and maybe one winger (forwards preferably right handed). We don't need to draft any goaltenders this year.

I'm still hoping Holland will get creative in the expansion draft and offer Vegas a pick or two for them to take a specific player (Howard or Ericsson). I doubt that happens though, and you're probably right on losing one of those, although I wouldn't be surprised if Ouellet is one of the protected defensemen.

Yeah, Marchenko is a Leaf. When I mentioned the 4 of them, I was referring to the logjam we had over the last couple seasons, and that being the reason we lost Marchenko to Toronto. Just saying if we're not careful, we could end up in a similar situation in 2-3 years and lose one of the others to waivers as well.

Just now, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, I'd like to see us (if we end up with 11 picks) take 5 defensemen and 5 centers and maybe one winger (forwards preferably right handed). We don't need to draft any goaltenders this year.

I'm still hoping Holland will get creative in the expansion draft and offer Vegas a pick or two for them to take a specific player (Howard or Ericsson). I doubt that happens though, and you're probably right on losing one of those, although I wouldn't be surprised if Ouellet is one of the protected defensemen.

Yeah, Marchenko is a Leaf. When I mentioned the 4 of them, I was referring to the logjam we had over the last couple seasons, and that being the reason we lost Marchenko to Toronto. Just saying if we're not careful, we could end up in a similar situation in 2-3 years and lose one of the others to waivers as well.

Ah gotcha, I misunderstood the logjam part then. And yeah I think either Ouellet or Jensen will be protected.. with Ouellet  seeming more likely if the two. I think we'll keep all of our picks unless someone we like drops a little and we trade down to add a pick and still target them. Mostly d-men and centers is what we need for sure. But I won't be surprised if we take one goalie later in the draft.