• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy Pred 48

New signing

Rate this topic

1 hour ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Was the new signing NOT done by Ken Holland? I believe he takes care of that role for the Wings. It's your constant member critiques that are always off topic and completely irrelevent.

But I will oblige you:

"Wow!  What a great roll of the dice.  Could be the next Zdeno Chara.  Just needs to grow 9 inches, put on 75 lbs, add 30 mph to his slap shot, develop a mean streak, learn how to qb a pp, get better at skating, work on his defense, and increase his hockey iq.  What a signing.  I love it."

Exactly.  They are focussing on moves that impact the Toronto Maple Leafs.  Not the Toronto Marlies.  Ken Holland's moves all impact the Toledo Walleye.  This one doesn't even do that.  It's garbage filler.

Why do you assume I'm talking about you? My comments were more so geared towards @Bill Berzeench

Does this hurt the team somehow? No? Them don't get your panties is a twist. Either he surprises everyone and makes the team or he doesn't with no harm done. At least Holland is still trying after being turned down by the other guys.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

It does matter who our scouts are scouting and who our gm is signing.  It does hurt the team if our competition gets the best undrafted pick ups and we get guys who wont ever sniff the NHL.  I get your point, though.  It's not a big deal either way.  I'm hoping for the best like you are.  But come on.  This kid is garbage. 

Edsjell wasn't playing on a much better league, I'd say both have the same shot at being in the NHL in 3 years. Also even the best undrafted guys generally don't do much in the NHL. For every Rafalaski there are a dozen or more Lebdas and Leinos.

4 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

It doesn't matter which member you are roasting each day.  It's still not on topic.  Go to the water cooler if you want to flame other posters.  Or just at the very least, dont be a hypocrite.

lol, I will give you credit as you really don't give up even after your trolling has lost its effectiveness. Trying to turn the tables is an interesting technique, unfortunately nobody buys it.

Out of curiosity, outside of @Jonas Mahonas @Bill Berzeench and The Axe, who do I roast?

On a side note, does anyone know where I can buy the 3 Faces of Foley DVD? He did a really good job playing three different characters.

Edited by kliq

1 hour ago, Nondescript_D said:

Brett Lebda played 3rd pairing D for four years on a Cup winner that contended two other years during his stay.  I would turn cartwheels if this guy was Brett Lebda

That doesn't mean he was good, that means the team he was on was good.

Please...stop...he played four years on a really good team.  If he was bad...and remember good teams are good because they have good players...he wouldn't have lasted four years here.  They would have shipped him out and found someone better.  Which...if I believe you..would have been a remarkably low hurdle.  Was he great?  No...he was a 3rd pairing D man.  But he was a GOOD 3rd pairing D man.

He signed as a free agent...cost them nothing and helped them win a cup..make the finals another year and make the conference finals another year.   If you think that run in Detroit is indicative of a FA that didn't pan out....you have impossibly high standards

He was on the team for 5 seasons actually and did the job he was asked to do. I think what DD is trying to say is that he had a very good support ing cast whilst a RedWing and when he left to go to the Leafs and then the Jax he's limitations were exposed. 

What he said was he didn't pan out...he most certainly did pan out...he saw regular minutes on one of the elite teams in the league.  By definition, that's a successful signing.

He was less effective in Toronto...a common theme for that era of Leafs teams.  IIRC..he also had some injuries to his back and shoulder and that could have been a factor as well.

Look...I'm not saying he was Nik...but the guy played a lot of minutes on some great teams.  To say that was a UDFA signing that didn't work out is ridiculous on its face.  

43 minutes ago, Nondescript_D said:

What he said was he didn't pan out...he most certainly did pan out...

Actaully...

23 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

... Also even the best undrafted guys generally don't do much in the NHL. For every Rafalaski there are a dozen or more Lebdas and Leinos.

I don't often agree with Dickie, but "didn't do much" is about as apt a description of Lebda as you can get.

Played a regular shift for multiple seasons on an elite team and had a plus 16 season while doing so...you people have incredibly small strike zones for "doing much".

Think we're just going to have to agree to disagree...but I think the Wings brass would be delighted if Libor turned out to be as good as Brett Lebda

I certainly don't think you can lump Lebda in with Leino...and even then Leino had on pretty good year..which is rare for a UDFA.

Lebderp was an easily replaced 3rd pair D. Just because they kept him until he was unrestricted doesn't mean he was valuable in any meaningful way. If he was as good as you seem to think he would have played more than 70 some odd NHL games after leaving.

11 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Lebderp was an easily replaced 3rd pair D. Just because they kept him until he was unrestricted doesn't mean he was valuable in any meaningful way. If he was as good as you seem to think he would have played more than 70 some odd NHL games after leaving.

Again...I'm not saying he was a world beater...I'm saying you're out to lunch if you think getting Lebda's production from a UDFA is an example of a UDFA not doing much.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html

Above you will find the 2003 NHL draft...our boy Brett's last eligible year.  From the third round on most of the guys picked didn't play as long as he did.  Lebda was a HELL of a value as a UDFA.  A brilliant signing....

Edited by Nondescript_D

1 hour ago, Nondescript_D said:

Again...I'm not saying he was a world beater...I'm saying you're out to lunch if you think getting Lebda's production from a UDFA is an example of a UDFA not doing much.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2003e.html

Above you will find the 2003 NHL draft...our boy Brett's last eligible year.  From the third round on most of the guys picked didn't play as long as he did.  Lebda was a HELL of a value as a UDFA.  A brilliant signing....

76 points in 397 career games, mostly when he was being carried by one of the best teams in the NHL.  When he went to a lesser team he flamed out.  That's not much.

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

Fact: We haven't won a Cup since Lebda left.

GET REKT S***LORD!!!

You convinced me.  BART LEBDERP FOR THE HALL OF FAME!!!!!!!

This debate is silly lol.

@DickieDunn All Nondescript_D is saying is that Lebda played his role well, and that he deserves credit for that. Does it really kill you to say something nice lol.

@Nondescript_D Dickie is a good poster here, but if you are looking for him to throw out compliments you are wasting your time

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

I compliment players when they deserve it.  Lebda did an ok job in a very limited role

And that is the key to a player being successful in the NHL, finding a proper role in which they can succeed. 

Lebda's role was to play #6 d-man on a good team, and he did it. Was he elite, of course not. Was he good, meh. But did he fit into his role and fulfill the duties asked of him, yes he did. As a #6 d-man on the Wings, he was successful. If this new signing can turn into a sold #6 d-man, then I think you can call it a successful signing. Not every player is going to be Zetterberg or Lidstrom.

Don't care if anyone throws out compliments or not...I think it's patently absurd to suggest that a UDFA that played 3rd pairing D for years on an elite team wasn't a good signing.  It's like bitching about winning a million in the lottery instead of 25.