• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

2017 Stanley Cup Finals: Nashville Predators vs. Pittsburgh Penguins

Rate this topic

Preds player had his skate off the ice before the puck was in the zone.  The rules say it's off-sides.  The rule should probably be adjusted somehow, but it was the right call.

Rinne giving up a goal after not seeing a shot for that long isn't surprising.  Any goalie will tell you it's hard to sit and not get any action for an extended time.

32 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Preds player had his skate off the ice before the puck was in the zone.  The rules say it's off-sides.  The rule should probably be adjusted somehow, but it was the right call.

Rinne giving up a goal after not seeing a shot for that long isn't surprising.  Any goalie will tell you it's hard to sit and not get any action for an extended time.

What replay conclusively showed that?  It has to be conclusive to be overturned.  

I guess the call was maybe 'good' in terms of the legal definition, but man did I dislike it.  Had no bearing on the play whatsoever, he had the puck, it didn't lead immediately to a goal... I don't like it, 'right' or no.

1 hour ago, GMRwings1983 said:

What replay conclusively showed that?  It has to be conclusive to be overturned.  

There was another replay they showed after the call was overturned, maybe before the next commercial break or perhaps between periods, but it showed a view that looked like it was from the perceptive of the bench looking across the ice, and that one seemed more definitive.  He was technically offside, as much as I hated it.

1 hour ago, Echolalia said:

There was another replay they showed after the call was overturned, maybe before the next commercial break or perhaps between periods, but it showed a view that looked like it was from the perceptive of the bench looking across the ice, and that one seemed more definitive.  He was technically offside, as much as I hated it.

I don't doubt what you say, I just didn't remember seeing that.  Why don't they show all the relevant replays during the review?  Not afterwards.

Every fan of the team that loses cries about officiating. When the Wings were good and fans were crying about a supposed anto-Detroit conspiracy other fans were crying about a supposed pro-Detroit conspiracy. The reality is officials are human beings on the ice seeing the game at full speed trying to make calls on a crowded rink, and they're going to miss calls. I've reffed in a rec league. It's a hell of a lot harder than it looks.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Every fan of the team that loses cries about officiating. When the Wings were good and fans were crying about a supposed anto-Detroit conspiracy other fans were crying about a supposed pro-Detroit conspiracy. The reality is officials are human beings on the ice seeing the game at full speed trying to make calls on a crowded rink, and they're going to miss calls. I've reffed in a rec league. It's a hell of a lot harder than it looks.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

The fact is, if you go to the Pens fans site, pretty much everyone there hates Bettman and think he's hates the Pens and the NHL does everything to keep them from winning....pretty much the opposite of what we see a lot of here....that's just the way it is....super bias on both sides.

The offside call, many can dislike it, but they've called that consistently in several other games, so it's no Pens pampering.  Interestingly enough, Bettman commented on this type of play/review earlier yesterday or the day before (prior to start of the Finals).  He's actually been pleased with the results of the coach's challenge.  Apparently offside calls are down 13% from before the challenge was put in place and Bettman attributed that to 2 things: 1) players are more cognizant that they need to ensure they stay onside as replays will catch it (I don't buy that...game is too fast, players aren't thinking this) and 2) linsemen are more apt to not blow the play down on a very close play because they figure a challenge will catch any play they miss (this one makes sense).

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I believe in any conspiracy to help the Penguins win hockey games. I just think that disallowed goal last game was as bad as it gets. It may have been the right call within the rulebook, but it's that rule that needs to be changed in my opinion. Forsberg's skate being 1/4 inch off the ice had absolutely no bearing on Subban scoring that goal. You can't let something so irrelevant change the outcome of a game in the Stanley Cup Finals.

36 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying I believe in any conspiracy to help the Penguins win hockey games. I just think that disallowed goal last game was as bad as it gets. It may have been the right call within the rulebook, but it's that rule that needs to be changed in my opinion. Forsberg's skate being 1/4 inch off the ice had absolutely no bearing on Subban scoring that goal. You can't let something so irrelevant change the outcome of a game in the Stanley Cup Finals.

I think the issue is more with the fact that there needs to be a hard line in place to show this is off side and this isn't.  If you add an inch, then we have this same exact issue when someone's skate is two inches off.  If you add two inches, then we have the issue when players are three inches off.  At some point you have to say, everything past this is off side and anything outside these parameters should be blown dead.

2 hours ago, Echolalia said:

should be football rules, whether the plane is broken or not.  

That part is also confusing, namely that keeping the puck in the zone once you already have it, has a different standard than what is required to enter the zone.  It should be the same for both rules.  My post, though, was about lifting the skate off the ice versus having it on the ice.  

3 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

That part is also confusing, namely that keeping the puck in the zone once you already have it, has a different standard than what is required to enter the zone.  It should be the same for both rules.  My post, though, was about lifting the skate off the ice versus having it on the ice.  

Yeah, I understood your post.  I meant that offside should be based on the plane of the line, and not the physical line on the ice.  So if a player's foot is on side/hasn't broken the plane of the line whether touching the ice or in the air, then it should be called on sides.  If no body parts cross the plane to stay on side and someone's entire body is in the zone before the puck, whether on the ice or not, it should be called off sides.

Guentzel MVP. Penguins in 6.

On 2017-5-26 at 0:28 PM, shocky2002 said:

I also think this Rinne run has been smoke and mirrors. Pekka hasn't been good in 3 years. He's outplayed his true abilities so far. Matt Murray is far better, IMO (and Fleury is even better)

I called this s***. But Murray is still really good (even though Fluery is better)

3 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

What the f*** happened? I turned it off it was 1-1...

so....what are your thoughts on the PIT goal called back due to offside?  They must thank Uncle Gary for that too I guess?

Malkin being a racist.

2 minutes ago, shocky2002 said:

Pittsburgh 3 peat next year.

And the following season?  Can they catch the Islanders as the last team to win 4 in a row?  How about the following year when they attempt to catch Montreal's streak of 5 straight?