• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shocky2002

Who has been the Red Wings MVP in the last 25 years?

Rate this topic

Who has been the Red Wings MVP in the last 25 years?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only guys worth mentioning are in the poll

On a side note, it's been 5 years since Nick retired. I can barely remember how this team looked with him on the blue line. It feels like 20 years since he walked away.

Lidstrom. He was our most important player during both the Yzerman/Fedorov and Datsyuk/Zetterberg eras. And he's the only one of the five who could be considered the best at their position for a lengthy period of time.

Most people are probably going to pick Lidstrom since he was part of the 25 years the longest. Both Fedorov/Yzerman were gone within 12-15 years and D and Z didn't even show up until the 10th year of the 25 years. 

If the question was changed to "the last 35 years" I would pick Yzerman. If changed to "between 92-97" I pick Fedorov. If changed to 2005-2008 I pick Zetterberg. If changed to 2009 - 2012 I pick Datsyuk. 

Everyone was an MVP in their own range. But a composite 25 year range tilts it towards Lidstrom just because of sheer number of games played are in his favor allowing him more games to prove himself in while the others weren't around for a large chunk of those 25 years. 

The better question would be, which MVP was more valuable than the other. 

Edited by kickazz

7 hours ago, kickazz said:

If the question was changed to "the last 35 years" I would pick Yzerman. If changed to "between 92-97" I pick Fedorov. If changed to 2005-2008 I pick Zetterberg. If changed to 2009 - 2012 I pick Datsyuk. 

It´s another neverending story about ´who is THE best´, but if question was ´Who was the most impacting player during his MVP era?´, it´d be simply Fedorov. 

4 hours ago, Juklitz said:

It´s another neverending story about ´who is THE best´, but if question was ´Who was the most impacting player during his MVP era?´, it´d be simply Fedorov. 

He was one of the most impactful Wings of all time. Players, for me are the three, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Yzerman...the rest are 2nd tier behind those. 

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Lidstrom by far.  His 7 norris trophies should have been 10 or 11.  Blake and Leetch wins are a JOKE.  Pronger's win was the only one I actually 100% agreed with.  He was a beast that year.

Leetch's win should've been Konstantinov's.

Lidstrom has to be the answer to this thread.  

2 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Lidstrom by far.  His 7 norris trophies should have been 10 or 11.  Blake and Leetch wins are a JOKE.  Pronger's win was the only one I actually 100% agreed with.  He was a beast that year.

Lidstrom won a few Norris trophies he shouldn't have won also.  It evens out.  

Edited by GMRwings1983

5 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

He was one of the most impactful Wings of all time. Players, for me are the three, Lidstrom, Fedorov, Yzerman...the rest are 2nd tier behind those. 

Leetch's win should've been Konstantinov's.

I really really wonder what kind of legacy Konstantiov would have left had he the opportunity to play out his entire career.  That man was a phenomenal defenseman.

2 hours ago, Echolalia said:

I really really wonder what kind of legacy Konstantiov would have left had he the opportunity to play out his entire career.  That man was a phenomenal defenseman.

I would have picked him over Lidstrom in the early to mid 90s.

I don't even think most Red Wings fans considered Lidstrom to be as good as they do now until like 2000 ish when he started winning all those Norris Trophies. 

12 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

We lost Yzerman and still won the Cup. It's obviously Lidstrom. Having that anchor on your defense is uttering important and we have been on a tail spin ever since Nick's retirement.

Also let's give some credit to Hakan 

That's because we replaced Yzerman with two future elite hall of famers (Datsyuk and Zetterberg).

We haven't been able to replace Brad Stuart or Rafalski let alone Nick Lidstrom. 

Edited by kickazz

22 hours ago, kickazz said:

I would have picked him over Lidstrom in the early to mid 90s.

I don't even think most Red Wings fans considered Lidstrom to be as good as they do now until like 2000 ish when he started winning all those Norris Trophies. 

I mean... +/- of +60 in 95-96.  That is just bonkers.

1 hour ago, Echolalia said:

I mean... +/- of +60 in 95-96.  That is just bonkers.

I felt like he was a more complete defenseman than Lidstrom was. His backhand flick of a shot was absolutely incredible and his offensive rushes always made your jaw drop. Lidstrom was cerebral and a genius at what he did but Konstantinov was skill + cerebral mixed together. It really does suck because we'll never know what could have been. And like I alluded to earlier, we didn't start seeing Lidstrom in his peak until later in the 90s and early 2000s. Assuming Vladdy was just getting into his prime before the accident, it would have been incredible to see his peak. 

Edited by kickazz

22 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

2017 - 25 = 1992.

Sorry, but Yzerman still is the man when compared to anyone else in the Detroit Red Wings.

Stevie  Y was the heart. and soul of this club for 3 Cups.

IMHO - anyone who says otherwise is delusional. 

Go ahead - call me out.....Any fan from the 1980's would be hard pressed to claim Lidstrom was more instrumental to this teams overall success.

Except, this thread is supposed to disregard the 1980's.  At the start of the 90's, Yzerman was indeed Detroit's best player, but by the late 90's, through the time he retired, Lidstrom was Detroit's most important player.  If we're talking all time importance to the franchise, then yes, Yzerman would be ahead of Lidstrom.  That's not quite what the thread is about, though.    

40 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

2017 - 25 = 1992.

Sorry, but Yzerman still is the man when compared to anyone else in the Detroit Red Wings.

Go ahead - call me out.....Any fan from the 1980's would be hard pressed to claim Lidstrom was more instrumental to this teams overall success.

I agree with your overall line of thinking. Yzerman was the Detroit Red Wings. I think Lidstrom tends to get a bit overrated around here (especially with his Captaincy which we discussed months ago). I mean I love Lidstrom and do think he was an MVP in the 25 year range but if we're looking at the 35 year range or if we're looking at 95-03 it's hands down Steve Yzerman. The problem is this range of 25 years includes the years 2006 - 2017 or which Yzerman had no part at all. But if we're looking at the specific cup wins in 97, 98 and 02 I would say Yzerman was the MVP for at least 2 of those 3. I know Lidstrom won the Conn Smyth in 02 but it could easily have gone to Yzerman. I mean, the guy scored a team leading 23 points in 23 playoffs games in 02 and he did it with one bad knee. He scored 4 points in the 5 game series on the finals against Carolina and had 2 points in the Stanley cup winning game itself. As a 37 year old! Holy crap. 

As I write that out I actually wonder why Yzerman didn't win a second Conn Smyth trophy in 2002. I feel as though the blue line goal against Vancouver secured it for Lidstrom much like "The Conn Smyth shift" probably secured it for Z. 

Edited by kickazz

31 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

2017 - 25 = 1992.

I'm a fan from the '80s and I'd pick Lidstrom. Like GMR said, if we go back further, actually in to the '80s, then I'd agree with you. But in the last 25 years, Yzerman only played 14 of them, plus missed a ton due to injury in later years. I wouldn't go as far as Jacksoni and say there's no debate at all, but I'd definitely pick Nick.

12 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I felt like he was a more complete defenseman than Lidstrom was. His backhand flick of a shot was absolutely incredible and his offensive rushes always made your jaw drop. Lidstrom was cerebral and a genius at what he did but Konstantinov was skill + cerebral mixed together. It really does suck because we'll never know what could have been. And like I alluded to earlier, we didn't start seeing Lidstrom in his peak until later in the 90s and early 2000s. Assuming Vladdy wasn't even close to his prime before the accident, it would have been incredible to see his peak. 

I think Vladdy is highly romanticized because of the injury. No doubt he was an excellent defenseman, but he didn't have the offensive skill to be on the same level as Lidstrom, plus he took a lot of penalties. And he was 30 at the time of the accident. Maybe he would have been like Nick or Chelios and stayed great into his late 30s or 40s, or maybe he would have been normal and had only a another handful of good seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Buppy said:

I think Vladdy is highly romanticized because of the injury. No doubt he was an excellent defenseman, but he didn't have the offensive skill to be on the same level as Lidstrom, plus he took a lot of penalties. And he was 30 at the time of the accident. Maybe he would have been like Nick or Chelios and stayed great into his late 30s or 40s, or maybe he would have been normal and had only a another handful of good seasons. 

I'm not so sure. He didn't put up overall points like Lidstrom did but you have to admit he had some darn good creativity in his offensive plays. 

Edited by kickazz

The one thing I don't think Lidstrom had the ability to do what Konstantinov could - was taking away the puck from opposition and giving himself a breakaway and finishing it off with a nifty goal. 

Edited by kickazz