• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
shocky2002

Who has been the Red Wings MVP in the last 25 years?

Rate this topic

Who has been the Red Wings MVP in the last 25 years?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, GMRwings1983 said:

Except, this thread is supposed to disregard the 1980's.  At the start of the 90's, Yzerman was indeed Detroit's best player, but by the late 90's, through the time he retired, Lidstrom was Detroit's most important player.  If we're talking all time importance to the franchise, then yes, Yzerman would be ahead of Lidstrom.  That's not quite what the thread is about, though.    

What he said. Don't go mixing in no eighties with that heavy metal and stuff.

6 hours ago, Jacksoni said:

What he said. Don't go mixing in no eighties with that heavy metal and stuff.

To be fair, he went off because you said "Lidstrom, not debatable" 

But it obviously is pretty debatable (hence the last two pages).

1 hour ago, LeftWinger said:

Well the years they played together, Lidstrom had 154 points and Vladdy had 175 points. Also his +/- was out of this world, he was a +60 in 96 alone. 

Not sure where you got that from, but it's wrong. Lidstrom had 307 points from 91-97. 

11 hours ago, kickazz said:

The one thing I don't think Lidstrom had the ability to do what Konstantinov could - was taking away the puck from opposition and giving himself a breakaway and finishing it off with a nifty goal. 

I think one of the key differences between Lids and Vladdy's game was that Lidstrom always made the safe play.  He's not a risk taker, and hes make a career out of being reliable and always making the correct play.  Vladdy was a bit more impulsive.  As you can see above, Konstantinov is pinching at our blue line while shorthanded, without a whole lot of support behind him (lol).  Not exactly something the coaches teach, but here we are, watching him go the other way with it.

Edited by Echolalia

1 hour ago, Buppy said:

Not sure where you got that from, but it's wrong. Lidstrom had 307 points from 91-97. 

Must we always argue?!? 

:)  just kidding, hell I don't know where i got that from either! I swear I was adding the numbers up...lol, maybe my eyes moved to another column as I was moving up the list. Oops!

This will never be an objective poll, no matter how much people debate 'stats' or trophies or whatever, because personal biases will always play a part. I voted for Yzerman, yes because he was the heart and soul of this franchise until the day he stepped off the ice, but also because he was my hero and I will never NOT think he was the greatest thing to happen to hockey since May 9, 1965. People who voted for others have entirely valid reasons, but they also probably have a soft and squishy. 

But I will also say that NO other player has people sprung talking about "bring back so-and-so" like Yzerman does. People *still* want him back in this org. Is it because he has proven himself as the most super amazing GM the sport has seen in recent years? You're fooling yourself if you say yes. So what is it? The guy flat out embodies the Wings for so many people that they pine for him over a decade later. That's gotta say something about his importance to this franchise. 

2 hours ago, BottleOfSmoke said:

This will never be an objective poll, no matter how much people debate 'stats' or trophies or whatever, because personal biases will always play a part. I voted for Yzerman, yes because he was the heart and soul of this franchise until the day he stepped off the ice, but also because he was my hero and I will never NOT think he was the greatest thing to happen to hockey since May 9, 1965. People who voted for others have entirely valid reasons, but they also probably have a soft and squishy. 

But I will also say that NO other player has people sprung talking about "bring back so-and-so" like Yzerman does. People *still* want him back in this org. Is it because he has proven himself as the most super amazing GM the sport has seen in recent years? You're fooling yourself if you say yes. So what is it? The guy flat out embodies the Wings for so many people that they pine for him over a decade later. That's gotta say something about his importance to this franchise. 

Bulls***. We all know the MVP was Betty White. THEN comes Steve Yzerman. 

That's understandable. After poor season, you have to find something, what will bring people to the new arena. Number retirement could be one of the showcase.

To be honest, I'm expecting, that Sergei's number won't be the only one which will go to rafters

3 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

We recovered from losing a lot of the guys on that list but the team has never recovered since losing Nick. He was the foundation of our success and the MVP while here.

Maybe because we had a guy score 97 points and another guy score 92 points and were both 29 and 27 years of age and in their prime?

8 hours ago, amato said:

Ouuuh that sounds nice! Let's do that again! 

Mantha and Larkin will be those guys for us in the next few years. Maybe not 90+ points, because scoring is down, but 70+ for both is definitely attainable.

6 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Mantha and Larkin will be those guys for us in the next few years. Maybe not 90+ points, because scoring is down, but 70+ for both is definitely attainable.

Agreed. I'm very excited for our young guys. I'm hoping AA and whoever we draft develop into high scoring guys as well. 

6 minutes ago, amato said:

Agreed. I'm very excited for our young guys. I'm hoping AA and whoever we draft develop into high scoring guys as well. 

I'm hoping we trade one of Nyquist or Tatar for an upgrade on D, but if we're unable to trade one of them, I'd strongly consider trading one of Athanasiou or Svechnikov. Of course there's no reason one of the aforementioned, in a reasonable package couldn't bring back a top 4, so I'd go that route if possible. It also all depends on how we do in the draft this year (who's our 9th overall pick), and what other moves are made...