• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ChristopherReevesLegs

Chelios Released from Duties

Rate this topic

According to Darren Dreger on TSN's Insider Trading

His one-year contract has been terminated (it was to end at the end of this month)

Chelios went to the Wings to say he was involved with player agents Anton Thun, Kurt Overhardt, and Rich Winter in an attempt to strengthen the NHLPA

Could be a role for him in the NHLPA as an ombudsman, but cannot do both jobs at the same time

No bad blood at all, Wings cut him loose. Chelios could circle back to the Red Wings if things don't work out with the NHLPA.

Why not? May as well burn it all down, huh? Trade that 9th pick for early Shattenkirk rights too while your at it, Kenny. 

Having one of the NHL's top surviving HOF defensemen around to help your current black hole of a  defence? Nah, cut him loose. He's Dallas bound.

1 hour ago, puckloo39 said:

Dallas will take him, and prosper.  It's what they do - steal our good management guys.

Nill has already made the call I'm sure.

Somewhat surprised by everyones reaction. He's going to the NHLPA, not Dallas. His contract was up at the end of the month anyway, if he didn't want to re-up with us there's not much we can do about that.

Wasn't he in a very limited role anyway?? As much as I love Chelly, this isn't a significant blow to the organization in any way. 

14 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Somewhat surprised by everyones reaction. He's going to the NHLPA, not Dallas. His contract was up at the end of the month anyway, if he didn't want to re-up with us there's not much we can do about that.

Wasn't he in a very limited role anyway?? As much as I love Chelly, this isn't a significant blow to the organization in any way. 

No, it's not a huge blow, but these rough times make some of us angry easily I guess. Holland HAS to start turning things around somewhere heading into this season. Tired of his laid back approach to everything. Chelly says he wants to work elsewhere...was that just throwing something out there, or was he willing to stay? Was there even any discussion, or did Holland just say "Make your choice, I don't have time for this." kinda thing. My bets on the latter.

Just now, chaps80 said:

No, it's not a huge blow, but these rough times make some of us angry easily I guess. Holland HAS to start turning things around somewhere heading into this season. Tired of his laid back approach to everything. Chelly says he wants to work elsewhere...was that just throwing something out there, or was he willing to stay? Was there even any discussion, or did Holland just say "Make your choice, I don't have time for this." kinda thing. My bets on the latter.

He was never a bench coach, and probably didn't see a career in coaching panning out for himself. Sounds like he has good traction with some big agents and within the NHLPA. To me this looks like a man making a career shift and that's it. Like Shanny when he joined the department of player safety. I hope being an ombudsman, or whatever he decides to do for the union, works out for him. If not, I'm sure he'll be welcomed back in another player development role.

28 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

He was never a bench coach, and probably didn't see a career in coaching panning out for himself. Sounds like he has good traction with some big agents and within the NHLPA. To me this looks like a man making a career shift and that's it. Like Shanny when he joined the department of player safety. I hope being an ombudsman, or whatever he decides to do for the union, works out for him. If not, I'm sure he'll be welcomed back in another player development role.

Good points. Sucks loosing the guys from the Cup years who have decided to stay though. Yzerman in Tampa. Shanny in Toronto with Lou and Babs building a hell of a team. Even Nill going to Dallas. Just seems like Detroit is stuck with the same management forever, despite the obvious need for a massive shakeup years ago and the team in cap hell with Holland's reckless contract extensions and signings. Illitch junior doesn't seem like he's going to be involved much either, from limited comments and basically giving Holland free reign over the team's future. Probably just following what his dad did and possibly wanted to continue though. But When is enough enough? When LCA becomes the United Centre of the mid-90's to mid-late '00's where 5000 fans show up because everyone is disgusted with the team and just can't watch anymore bleeding? The cap killed this team, slowly but surely. It's time to get a guy in the GM chair who can understand and work with it. Not just throw cash. 

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Good points. Sucks loosing the guys from the Cup years who have decided to stay though. Yzerman in Tampa. Shanny in Toronto with Lou and Babs building a hell of a team. Even Nill going to Dallas. Just seems like Detroit is stuck with the same management forever, despite the obvious need for a massive shakeup years ago and the team in cap hell with Holland's reckless contract extensions and signings. Illitch junior doesn't seem like he's going to be involved much either, from limited comments and basically giving Holland free reign over the team's future. Probably just following what his dad did and possibly wanted to continue though. But When is enough enough? When LCA becomes the United Centre of the mid-90's to mid-late '00's where 5000 fans show up because everyone is disgusted with the team and just can't watch anymore bleeding? The cap killed this team, slowly but surely. It's time to get a guy in the GM chair who can understand and work with it. Not just throw cash. 

This thread is about Chelly, and I don't want to turn this into another Holland thread, but the next 2 months will illustrate the future of this team. With Mr. I passing, missing the playoffs for the first time in a quarter century, and the expansion looming, there will be huge opportunity to readjust this team and alter our approach. If Chris and Ken want to shakeup the team, the next two months is the time to do it. If they don't, I'm sure there will be a mid-July Holland gripe fest you can jump in on. 

What?! Chelie wants to work for NHLPA?!

What a waste!! Do not do that, don't waste your talent on those useless corrupted morons...

Edited by ami

22 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

but cannot do both jobs at the same time

What's to stop Chelios from doing it anyway??

Edit: for the record I'm really disappointed in all of you that this wasn't the second fricking comment. 

Edited by BottleOfSmoke
Disappointment

10 minutes ago, BottleOfSmoke said:

What's to stop Chelios from doing it anyway??

Chris Chelios doesn't do what Chris Chelios does for Chris Chelios. Chris Chelios does what Chris Chelios does because Chris Chelios IS Chris Chelios.

JsDiwB.gif

But yeah I think it's a conflict of interest to work for an employer and the union for that employer at the same time.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

LMAO. It's gotten to the point where people at pissed about "news" like this...

Sad!

You could say it's.... FAKE NEWS :lol:

Being serious, Chelios has always been a PA guy and he wants to get involved so more power to him. Team stunk it up all over the ice last year, so losing any coach won't hurt too bad.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Nothing personal against Chelios (the FIB that he is) - was his responsibility pertaining to our Dmen this past season?

Last time I checked - our Dmen were f-ing clueless the entire season.

Unfortunately great former players seem to often make poor coaches. The play comes so naturally to them that it's difficult to explain to others. At least thats my theory anyway.

Unfortunately great former players seem to often make poor coaches. The play comes so naturally to them that it's difficult to explain to others. At least thats my theory anyway.

That and most of them worked harder than most players and they get frustrated with a perceived lack of effort.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

That and most of them worked harder than most players and they get frustrated with a perceived lack of effort.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk