• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rate this topic

Belding had to drop Redskins because of pressure from a group outside the community.  The Native Americans in town loved the name.  Now they're the Black Knights.

No way a liberal hotbed like Seattle is going to name the team anything remotely offensive.  It's going to be bland AF.

"On behalf of the NHL and the Seattle ownership group, we are proud to announce the Seattle STEELHEADS"

Seattle:

Uy5vHUYs_400x400.jpg

"AcTuaLLy I identify as fish-kin and this is extremely problematic. Using fish-references in popular culture is literally the same as rape, my pronouns are........"

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

37 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Belding had to drop Redskins because of pressure from a group outside the community.  The Native Americans in town loved the name.  Now they're the Black Knights.

No way a liberal hotbed like Seattle is going to name the team anything remotely offensive.  It's going to be bland AF.

Indigenous

Also, was there some sort of poll or vote in the indigenous community about any of this? Basically, who says they loved the name? Just curious. 

Edited by The 91 of Ryans

8 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

I can't wait for a team that is called the Rednecks. it's not offensive right? I mean it's part of a culture...

Ladies and gentlemen please welcome to the field The Virginia Confederate Losers!!!!!

9 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

I can't wait for a team that is called the Rednecks. it's not offensive right? I mean it's part of a culture...

And I bet lots of Rednecks would think that's a great name. Hilarious even. But alas, the liberals ruin EVERYTHING

13 minutes ago, NerveDamage said:

They can name a team that if they like, I won't be offended. it's just a name. They'll never actually be as poor and stupid as me.

3 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Ladies and gentlemen please welcome to the field The Virginia Confederate Losers!!!!!

And I bet lots of Rednecks would think that's a great name. Hilarious even. But alas, the liberals ruin EVERYTHING

Watching the liberals head-spin as they try to defend "rednecks" from cultural appropriation would alone be worth it.

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Yeah, that's TOTALLY less offensive! :lol:

2 hours ago, NerveDamage said:

Being that a team nickname generally honors or glorifies the group its named for, no, I don't think anyone would be offended. The people who fit that name are not insulted by it, anymore than I am insulted by being called a Yank in the UK or Australia.

Having both Irish and American Indian descendency, I am not offended by Redskins, Indians, or Fighting Irish for that matter. But since I don't share in progressive philosophy. my opinion is moot, regardless of my ethnicity and/or ancestry.

2 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

"On behalf of the NHL and the Seattle ownership group, we are proud to announce the Seattle STEELHEADS"

I would be okay with this. I wouldn't mind Sockeyes either. I love my Salmon Kings Jersey.

Edited by Neomaxizoomdweebie

1 hour ago, Neomaxizoomdweebie said:

Yeah, that's TOTALLY less offensive! :lol:

Being that a team nickname generally honors or glorifies the group its named for, no, I don't think anyone would be offended. The people who fit that name are not insulted by it, anymore than I am insulted by being called a Yank in the UK or Australia.

Having both Irish and American Indian descendency, I am not offended by Redskins, Indians, or Fighting Irish for that matter. But since I don't share in progressive philosophy. my opinion is moot, regardless of my ethnicity and/or ancestry.

I would be okay with this. I wouldn't mind Sockeyes either. I love my Salmon Kings Jersey.

This would be the ideal logo

BbJI_dGCIAA2Ec-.jpg

On 8/28/2018 at 12:55 PM, NerveDamage said:

Most people I know wouldn't GAF

On 8/28/2018 at 12:53 PM, The 91 of Ryans said:

Indigenous

Also, was there some sort of poll or vote in the indigenous community about any of this? Basically, who says they loved the name? Just curious. 

All but one of them who showed up to the school board meetings where they were discussing the name change.  The push came from an outside group.

4 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Most people I know wouldn't GAF

All but one of them who showed up to the school board meetings where they were discussing the name change.  The push came from an outside group.

So you're saying an outside group came in and forced their views onto a small group of indigenous people? Sounds oddly familiar...

Key arena is an older arena in Seattle, but it's in a REALLY nice area. If the renovations turn out anything like they propose this is gonna be a helluva nice place to catch a hockey game and also to generally enjoy the area (bars, parks, restaurants, the space needle, etc.)

ALL the rumors are that the Seattle group would like to lure in aging/storied general manager Ken Holland to build the team. The idea being he will be the Lamoreillo to Seattle that the real Lamoriello was to Toronto.

If this is at all true and Ken bites, this opens the doorway for Yzerman to return as RW GM within the next 2 years.

10 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Key arena is an older arena in Seattle, but it's in a REALLY nice area. If the renovations turn out anything like they propose this is gonna be a helluva nice place to catch a hockey game and also to generally enjoy the area (bars, parks, restaurants, the space needle, etc.)

ALL the rumors are that the Seattle group would like to lure in aging/storied general manager Ken Holland to build the team. The idea being he will be the Lamoreillo to Seattle that the real Lamoriello was to Toronto.

If this is at all true and Ken bites, this opens the doorway for Yzerman to return as RW GM within the next 2 years.

Maybe Yzerman goes to Seattle.

56 minutes ago, rage said:

Maybe Yzerman goes to Seattle.

50 minutes ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

That's what I was thinking a year off to get the last kid out of high school and appease the wife. Then let's sell the house and head to "God's Country"

I dont really buy the notion at all.

He builds a cup contender up, only to leave for family reasons right when theyre on the cusp, but then takes a job with a start up team on the otherside of the country again a year later? Pretty short-sighted whimsical path if you ask me...

The decision Yzerman made was pretty substantial. I think its very reasoned to say he'll remain in the Detroit area for the foreseeable future. Whether thats with the DRWs or not.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

2 hours ago, AtlantaHotWings said:

Friends in Seattle always called it "God's Country" due to the mountains etc I guess. Or perhaps my friends were the only believers?

Fair enough. If it's not too dreary to see Mt. Rainier and the Olympics, the view is pretty great. I take it for granted.

On 9/26/2018 at 8:35 AM, AtlantaHotWings said:

Friends in Seattle always called it "God's Country" due to the mountains etc I guess. Or perhaps my friends were the only believers?

"God's Country " is a state of mind or a feeling. I can look out over any vista in West Michigan and say the same thing. I happen to think there is no state more beautiful than Michigan. Especially the West Michigan area.

"God's Country."

Edited by LeftWinger