• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jaymister

Flames acquire Mike Smith

Rate this topic

Flames get Mike Smith in exchange for the rights to Chad Johnson, prospect Brandon Hickey and 2018 conditional third round pick. 

I seen this on sportsnet.ca.  Hickey was a third round pick.  Interesting trade, Smith is 35, but might have a few good years left in him and I expect his numbers will improve on a better team.

Smith? Really? Guess they didn't learn anything from the Elliott signing. There's a lot of goalies in play with the expansion draft, could have found a better option. Smith, like Elliott had some great years, but they don't bring enough to a playoff team that relies so heavily on goaltending. Elliott was the main reason why they were taken out by the Ducks in the playoffs. Absolutely horrible play.

Cant see Flames fans being happy about this at all. May as well have just kept Johnson.

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Smith? Really? Guess they didn't learn anything from the Elliott signing. There's a lot of goalies in play with the expansion draft, could have found a better option. Smith, like Elliott had some great years, but they don't bring enough to a playoff team that relies so heavily on goaltending. Elliott was the main reason why they were taken out by the Ducks in the playoffs. Absolutely horrible play.

Cant see Flames fans being happy about this at all. May as well have just kept Johnson.

It's hard to compare Elliot who played on a really good team in stlouis to Smith who played on a really bad team in Arizona.  I think Smith could definitely be an improvement, if he plays like he's capable of.

4 minutes ago, Jaymister said:

It's hard to compare Elliot who played on a really good team in stlouis to Smith who played on a really bad team in Arizona.  I think Smith could definitely be an improvement, if he plays like he's capable of.

Elliott's problem was confidence. He had a good team in STL, but he was still counted on, and was a very good goalie during his time there. Right from the start in Calgary almost, he was getting lit up, lost the starters job to Johnson for awhile, but pulled it back together before the playoffs. Then he just imploded. Change of teams sometimes doesn't work out. Smith played on a bad team and still had great years, but isn't the same goalie he was in his early 'Yotes years, and is 35. I dunno, for all the talk from Calgary about acquiring a sure number 1 guy after Elliott failed, they could have done better. 

This is a real shame, as I was hoping that we could shed about 4m in the expansion draft and then trading 10-15m by trading away bad contracts. Howard wouldve been a big chunk of that if we could have convinced Calgary to take him off our hands. Oh well, as long as we draft Tippet and Hague, ill be happy.

I wonder if they talked to Holland about Howard. I know they considered him last offseason, but Elliott was a cheap, one year option they felt they could give a test run too. Perhaps Holland is looking for a better return now? Or not interested in moving him anymore at all? No reason for Vegas to take him with Fleury reportedly heading there.

9 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Wouldn't they have to pay him though? I thought with Datsyuk they didn't actually have to pay him squat, just got the cap hit. Idk, maybe I'm confused.

I was referring to if Kronwall went on LTIR. But even if he didn't, only $1.75M actual salary for a $4.75M cap hit, would help them get closer to the cap floor, while paying a lot less in actual dollars. Could be a benefit to a team like Arizona... But hey, I just want to make room for some of the kids...

Kronwall...

Kronwall will attempt to play in a wheelchair if he has to. No one is touching that contract, and that's a major reason why. Guy has no concept of when to let go, even when he's a liability on the ice most nights, and the numbers show it. He'll be peg legging around the ice once again in 2017-18 like he thinks it's 2008.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

I was referring to if Kronwall went on LTIR. But even if he didn't, only $1.75M actual salary for a $4.75M cap hit, would help them get closer to the cap floor, while paying a lot less in actual dollars. Could be a benefit to a team like Arizona... But hey, I just want to make room for some of the kids...

Still get paid on LTIR, and he's at $3.5M this year. Probably not a good fit, but maybe next year. Frazen is a little better @ $4M cap hit for 3 years, and only $2M, $1M, and $1M in salary. 

13 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Kronwall will attempt to play in a wheelchair if he has to. No one is touching that contract, and that's a major reason why. Guy has no concept of when to let go, even when he's a liability on the ice most nights, and the numbers show it. He'll be peg legging around the ice once again in 2017-18 like he thinks it's 2008.

Implying that's somehow Kronwalls fault and not a coaching issue? Isn't your job as a player to try your best no matter what?

Implying that's somehow Kronwalls fault and not a coaching issue? Isn't your job as a player to try your best no matter what?

Not Kronwall's fault his knees are bad, no. And it's the classic Red Wings way to keep glory day vets around even when no longer useful, so I guess that's not his fault either. But if his game has declined so much that he's a liability, why not help out the team that gave you so much and bow out? Holland won't force him out, even though any other GM would have.

26 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Not Kronwall's fault his knees are bad, no. And it's the classic Red Wings way to keep glory day vets around even when no longer useful, so I guess that's not his fault either. But if his game has declined so much that he's a liability, why not help out the team that gave you so much and bow out? Holland won't force him out, even though any other GM would have.

Again, this is a coaching issue. If he's not fit to play, or is a liability, coach shouldn't play him. Nothing to do with Ken Holland.

1 hour ago, Buppy said:

Still get paid on LTIR, and he's at $3.5M this year. Probably not a good fit, but maybe next year. Frazen is a little better @ $4M cap hit for 3 years, and only $2M, $1M, and $1M in salary. 

I was referring to next year, piggy-backing off of the conversation in the other thread about making room after this season for one of the kids (be it whoever we take with our 9th pick this year (Liljegren / Makar) or one of the kids currently in the organization (Hicketts or Hronek)). I'm also aware players on LTIR still get paid their salary, which is why I said they'd only have to pay him $1.75M of his $4.75M cap hit. But yeah, Franzen would be a good option as well, but I do think Kronwall will end up on LTIR by this time next season (if not sooner)...

Again, this is a coaching issue. If he's not fit to play, or is a liability, coach shouldn't play him. Nothing to do with Ken Holland.

Your right, he shouldn't play him. But Blash is a young coach who's honestly in over his head, and is rumoured to not have much control over his players. No way he sits Kronwall, a Cup champion and one of the longest serving players on the roster, plus one of the main voices in the dressing room, as long as he wants to play. Holland COULD do something, like he did with Chelios and Cleary (eventually). They're contracts were done, but he could sweep Kronwall under the rug if he wanted to.

39 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Your right, he shouldn't play him. But Blash is a young coach who's honestly in over his head, and is rumoured to not have much control over his players. No way he sits Kronwall, a Cup champion and one of the longest serving players on the roster, plus one of the main voices in the dressing room, as long as he wants to play. Holland COULD do something, like he did with Chelios and Cleary (eventually). They're contracts were done, but he could sweep Kronwall under the rug if he wanted to.

yada yada yada It's Ken Holland's fault. I don't know why I expected anything different at this point.

yada yada yada It's Ken Holland's fault. I don't know why I expected anything different at this point.

Haha mannn. Get used to it. I say it a lot, but I'm far from the only Wings fan who does, and wants him gone. And it's only going to get worse the more he f***s up.

1 minute ago, chaps80 said:

Haha mannn. Get used to it. I say it a lot, but I'm far from the only Wings fan who does, and wants him gone. And it's only going to get worse the more he f***s up.

On what planet is Kronwall playing on Blashill's team this past year Holland's fault? Are you mad he handed him that 7 year contract in 2011? Are you mad he didn't trade him at the deadline? Are you mad he didn't buy him out? Or are you simply blaming everything and anything you don't like on Ken Holland?

On what planet is Kronwall playing on Blashill's team this past year Holland's fault? Are you mad he handed him that 7 year contract in 2011? Are you mad he didn't trade him at the deadline? Are you mad he didn't buy him out? Or are you simply blaming everything and anything you don't like on Ken Holland?

Most of my post was about Blashill's use of him. I added Holland at the end, saying he COULD get him off the team. He does have that ability. He bought out Weiss, so he does have some sense of when players are injured and useless.

16 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Most of my post was about Blashill's use of him. I added Holland at the end, saying he COULD get him off the team. He does have that ability. He bought out Weiss, so he does have some sense of when players are injured and useless.

So why are you using this to crap on Holland then? Its Blashills responsibilty to not play Kronwall first, just like Babs didnt play Weiss. If anything you should be mad at Holland for not firing Blashill if you truly believe Kronwall is that incompetent. But youre not, your just looking for the quickest path to blaming Holland for things you dont like.