• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jaymister

Flames acquire Mike Smith

Rate this topic

3 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

CRL,

The coach HAS TO play the players the GM signs.  Or he won't be coach too long.  Kronwall makes close to 5 mil per.  Blashill cant just bench him.  You are oit of your mind if you think differently.  Miller getting sent to GR was about as close to "disobeying orders" as youre gonna see.  

Think of it like A Few Good Men.  Jessop = Holland.  Kendrick = Blashill.

Lol ok lets play that game

You think Holland wanted Babs to sit his big signing 5 mil Weiss? How bout 2 mil Tootoo? Hell Babs sat his own signing in Commodore.

If Kronwall really is that incomptent in 2016/17 we have a very bad coach, because Holland signed the guy in 2011 lol

13 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Side note: Arizona is apparently looking for another Datsyuk type contract to get to the floor because they're dead broke again lol

Franzen?

*edit* just saw this was already discussed.

Edited by kliq

Lol ok lets play that game
You think Holland wanted Babs to sit his big signing 5 mil Weiss? How bout 2 mil Tootoo? Hell Babs sat his own signing in Commodore.
If Kronwall really is that incomptent in 2016/17 we have a very bad coach, because Holland signed the guy in 2011 lol

Weiss never lived up to his potential in Detroit after the injury, considering his play in Florida. Babs didn't do him any favours though. Is he even in the league anymore?

Tootoo should have been played more. He brought something the team could have used. Was dissapointed in how he was treated and then bought out.

6 years can be a huge difference in an aging players career, especially one that was overused and overworked. Everyone loves numbers around here. Look at Kronwalls last season. He's done. Can't keep up anymore, and is no longer a feared defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Weiss never lived up to his potential in Detroit after the injury, considering his play in Florida. Babs didn't do him any favours though. Is he even in the league anymore?

Tootoo should have been played more. He brought something the team could have used. Was dissapointed in how he was treated and then bought out.

6 years can be a huge difference in an aging players career, especially one that was overused and overworked. Everyone loves numbers around here. Look at Kronwalls last season. He's done. Can't keep up anymore, and is no longer a feared defender.

Babs didn't do right by any of these players and probably should have told Holland not to bother with any of these guys because he wasn't going to do f*** all with any of them.  (Weiss, Tootoo, Commodore)

Six years is a HUGE difference in any player's career... and no one is arguing that Kronwall should be leaned on at this point for top minutes, point production, or god forbid, Kronwalling of any type. 

...but when this (Kronwall's) contract was signed there was no cap-recapture penalty if he decided to retire.  So why wouldn't Holland use that loophole to bring down the cap-hit. Many other GMs did this but didn't have the same ramifications and didn't come back to bite them in the ass.  Did Kenny have the foresight to know that the next CBA would dick him over in the waning years of Kronwall's contract? Did he know that Franzen would be sitting on his LITR for more than half of his contact with the same kinds of recapture penalties hanging over his head?

Can you seriously blame Holland for player usage by the coach, player concussion issues, or overall declining health?  I don't see how you can without your anti-Holland bias showing through.

Also, to keep this post on topic.

Mike Smith sucks and I would hate to have him as a goalie on the Wings.  He gives me a heart attack everytime I watch him in net.  I just never know wtf he seems to be thinking with his style of play.

Edited by e_prime

Babs didn't do right by any of these players and probably should have told Holland not to bother with any of these guys because he wasn't going to do f*** all with any of them.  (Weiss, Tootoo, Commodore)
Six years is a HUGE difference in any player's career... and no one is arguing that Kronwall should be leaned on at this point for top minutes, point production, or god forbid, Kronwalling of any type. 
...but when this (Kronwall's) contract was signed there was no cap-recapture penalty if he decided to retire.  So why wouldn't Holland use that loophole to bring down the cap-hit. Many other GMs did this but didn't have the same ramifications and didn't come back to bite them in the ass.  Did Kenny have the foresight to know that the next CBA would dick him over in the waning years of Kronwall's contract? Did he know that Franzen would be sitting on his LITR for more than half of his contact with the same kinds of recapture penalties hanging over his head?
Can you seriously blame Holland for player usage by the coach, player concussion issues, or overall declining health?  I don't see how you can without your anti-Holland bias showing through.

Also, to keep this post on topic.
Mike Smith sucks and I would hate to have him as a goalie on the Wings.  He gives me a heart attack everytime I watch him in net.  I just never know wtf he seems to be thinking with his style of play.

Franzen is a different story. His salary doesn't count against the cap with him on LTIRetirement, and he's not taking up a roster spot that a younger player can fill. But obviously, if Kronwall is still able to play somewhat, he can't go on LTIR. So if he has to be kept on the roster, his playing time needs to be managed much better. He's still logging around 20 min of ice time a game. That's too much. That's on Blashill though, not Holland. But if Blashill cut his minutes or simply scratched him most of the season, would he hear about it from Holland? He's not Mike Babcock. I think he'd hear about it.

And fully agreed on Smith. I watched him a lot in his OHL days with Sudbury. He gave me near heart attacks as well. Never thought he'd make the NHL, much less put up some great numbers, make huge money, and stick there for a long time.

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Franzen is a different story. His salary doesn't count against the cap with him on LTIRetirement, and he's not taking up a roster spot that a younger player can fill. But obviously, if Kronwall is still able to play somewhat, he can't go on LTIR. So if he has to be kept on the roster, his playing time needs to be managed much better. He's still logging around 20 min of ice time a game. That's too much. That's on Blashill though, not Holland. But if Blashill cut his minutes or simply scratched him most of the season, would he hear about it from Holland? He's not Mike Babcock. I think he'd hear about it.

And fully agreed on Smith. I watched him a lot in his OHL days with Sudbury. He gave me near heart attacks as well. Never thought he'd make the NHL, much less put up some great numbers, make huge money, and stick there for a long time.

So, your theory is, Babs was allowed to coach the team however he wanted, But Blash is not allowed this. How'd you reach this conclusion? 

So, your theory is, Babs was allowed to coach the team however he wanted, But Blash is not allowed this. How'd you reach this conclusion? 

Not saying that, just saying Babs probably had more leeway with his Cup win and Olympic Golds and long tenure as coach. Blash might be on a shorter leash, and I sure as hell hope he is.

1 hour ago, chaps80 said:

Not saying that, just saying Babs probably had more leeway with his Cup win and Olympic Golds and long tenure as coach. Blash might be on a shorter leash, and I sure as hell hope he is.

Hard to say Blash is on a short leash when he is still employed.

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Leash? Ok, you can reword it all you want, it doesn't change my question. You believe Babcock could sit Kronwall if he wanted to, but you don't believe Blashill can sit Kronwall if he wants to. How'd you get to that conclusion? Blash has shown his willingness to sit a number of players and move Kronwall down the depth chart.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs