• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Red Wings Expansion Draft Protected List

Rate this topic

13 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Agree with the first part. As for the second part, terrible way to get his attention if he's no longer part of the organization...

Right. If it's really a "wake up call" move.. why wake him up to play better if there's a chance it's for another team? 

After thinking this through, here are the possible realities of Mrazek being exposed

1) Most of us are just wrong. Holland tried to trade Mrazek and there was simply zero interest out there. The guy is coming off a horrible season, he is not a cheap cap hit, and he has attitude problems. Holland does not want to waive Coreau, and correctly believes that a tandem of Howard/Coreau puts them in the best position next year.

2) Side Deal. Holland said he wouldnt do a side deal to protect a player, maybe he has a deal in place for LV to take a player. So for example, the agreement is that is LV takes E in the draft which is the only way to move E to them with his NTC, then Holland has agreed to trade Mrazek to them for cheap afterwards. Or maybe a side deal that has nothing to do with Mrazek. This way you keep your vet in Howard happy, and send Mrazek a message.

3) Holland is simply out of touch. Holland did not properly assess the market on Mrazek, and wants to go with Jimmy as he feels that gives him the best chance in making the playoffs next year. LV is taking advantage of this, and we are about to be fleeced. 

4) Holland has no intention in losing Mrazek. Maybe LV has already let Holland know who they are taking (ie. Sheahan or XO) and this is Holland's way of sending Mrazek a message.

My guess is the answer is either 1 or 3.

51 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

As for the second part, put yourself in McPhee's shoes. If you thought there was a possibility that a GM was planning on exposing a certain player, and he called you up and asked you, what do you think of this player? Would you tell him, you'd definitely like to have him? Or would you play it cool in hopes that you could get him? 

I don't think NHL GM's are liars. They seem to all have a good professional relationship in this league. I've never heard of anyone in the recent decades lie and swing deals or aquire players like that all the while pretending to be uninterested. They seem like straight shooters. 

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Fleury/Mrazek tandem is pretty damn tasty, actually.  If I'm Vegas, I take those 2 and look to unload Fleury in a trade.

Is it? If you look at GAA last year, out of the 44 goalies that qualified Mrazek ranked #42, Fleury #41.

If you look at Save %, Mrazek rankes #42, Fleury #33. 

14 minutes ago, kliq said:

After thinking this through, here are the possible realities of Mrazek being exposed

1) Most of us are just wrong. Holland tried to trade Mrazek and there was simply zero interest out there. The guy is coming off a horrible season, he is not a cheap cap hit, and he has attitude problems. Holland does not want to waive Coreau, and correctly believes that a tandem of Howard/Coreau puts them in the best position next year.

2) Side Deal. Holland said he wouldnt do a side deal to protect a player, maybe he has a deal in place for LV to take a player. So for example, the agreement is that is LV takes E in the draft which is the only way to move E to them with his NTC, then Holland has agreed to trade Mrazek to them for cheap afterwards. Or maybe a side deal that has nothing to do with Mrazek. This way you keep your vet in Howard happy, and send Mrazek a message.

3) Holland is simply out of touch. Holland did not properly assess the market on Mrazek, and wants to go with Jimmy as he feels that gives him the best chance in making the playoffs next year. LV is taking advantage of this, and we are about to be fleeced. 

4) Holland has no intention in losing Mrazek. Maybe LV has already let Holland know who they are taking (ie. Sheahan or XO) and this is Holland's way of sending Mrazek a message.

My guess is the answer is either 1 or 3.

I don't think it's 3. Who the hell are we to know Mrazek's ACTUAL market value? The only ones that know are the 30+ league GM's. 

We don't know jack s*** we just assume. 

It's either 1, 2, or 4 or some other reason.

Edited by kickazz

Just now, kickazz said:

I don't think it's 3. Who the hell are we to know Mrazek's market value? The only ones that know are the 30+ league GM's. 

We don't know jack s*** we just assume. 

I hope it's not 3, but I am worried it is. I hope its 2, but if I had to put money on it, I am going with 1.

The problem is this board value the wings assets like they are directly comparable to others teams players that fill the same role. Veteran goalie Mike Smith goes to Calgary, doesn't mean Holland refused to trade Howard. All signs pointed toward Holland shopping both goalies but you can say it's speculation if you want to continue the Holland bashing. Everyone in the NHL knew both goalies were available 

I think Mrazek would have been better to protect over Howard.  Howard is older, injury prone, and does not handle the puck as well as Mrazek.  He is also more expensive.  

If we are building for the future why do you protect all the old guys?!?!  Not protecting Oulette is big mistake as well.  

Mrazek has played brilliantly at times and can be a game changer.  His numbers suck a bit because our defense sucks big time.  We also suffer from a anemic offense so we fall behind...his numbers are a reflection of how sorry our team is...not on Mrazek's actual play.  

Mrazek has been brilliant on the shoot out at times...that should tell you something about the difference between Mrazek and Howard.  Mrazek's performance in the shoot out alone is worth 4 to 5 points a year.

Howard's numbers are better, but he gets hurt every year and takes half the year off with injury.  

Even if Vegas takes Mrazek, poor guy is stuck being a backup there to Fluery most likely.

Must have pissed off the organization real good to put him in this situation.

Edited by kickazz

2 minutes ago, MDCard said:

Mrazek has played brilliantly at times and can be a game changer.  His numbers suck a bit because our defense sucks big time.  We also suffer from a anemic offense so we fall behind...his numbers are a reflection of how sorry our team is...not on Mrazek's actual play.  

Mrazek has been brilliant at times yes but horrible a lot more. You cant disregard his bad play because of the s***ty defense because Howard put up good numbers behind the same defense. You also cant say that he suffers from anemic offense because in general the team scored a heck of a lot more with him in net than they did Howard. At one point last year they were scoring a full goal more with Mrazek in net than Howard so you cant blame the offense for anything on Mrazeks numbers.

2 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Even if Vegas takes Mrazek, poor guy is stuck being a backup there to Fluery most likely.

Must have pissed off the organization real good to put him in this situation.

If this were to happen, Mrazek would likely steal the starter role by mid season.

"the organization" is sucking wind if you haven't noticed...maybe "the organization" shouldn't be so arrogant, get off the pedestal, stop worrying about the "Red Wings culture," and get with the post-cap era like all the other teams.  Kenny is running a veteran loyalty program...he is not working hard enough at fielding a competitive team...He should have been fired 4 years ago.

1 minute ago, MDCard said:

"the organization" is sucking wind if you haven't noticed...maybe "the organization" shouldn't be so arrogant, get off the pedestal, stop worrying about the "Red Wings culture," and get with the post-cap era like all the other teams.  Kenny is running a veteran loyalty program...he is not working hard enough at fielding a competitive team...He should have been fired 4 years ago.

Or maybe they just don't like arrogant players if that was the case

1 minute ago, GoalieManPat said:

And if his trend continues lose it to whichever 3rd string guy they pick to have in the minors 6 weeks later.

Lol this made me laugh. I'm so excited for draft season!

A young goalie like Mrazek is going to have spells where he may underperform...Kenny protected a guy 8 years older who gets injured every year stumbling and flopping around behind the net after a puck mishandle.  Bad asset management.

If you want to see how good a goalie is, check them out during the shootout.  Petr has some talent.  Not sure if it will ever fully materialize, but he is a more valuable asset at this point in his career than Jimmy Howard.

3 minutes ago, GoalieManPat said:

And if his trend continues lose it to whichever 3rd string guy they pick to have in the minors 6 weeks later.

Or go back to Vezina form and never look back. I admit, that may be unlikely, but so is the scenario you mention. I think Mrazek will end up falling somewhere in between the two extremes and be a very good starting goaltender. People seem to forget that he just turned 25 at the end of last season, and is still very young for a goaltender. Inconsistency is very common in young goaltenders, and I'm confident he will eventually get it figured out.

I mean Mrazek has sucked.  In his three years here he's been unable to string together a single consistent season.  Having said that, I don't trust a Howard/Coreau tandem either. One is injury prone and the other is unproven.  I would hope Holland is actively pursuing a solid backup if Mrazek happens to be claimed on the likely event that Howard goes down.

When I saw Mrazek on the list I just laughed. Holland has done some really dumb things, but this easily tops the list. Yeah, Mrazek had a s*** season last year. Carey Price had s*** seasons too. At this point, all I can see in this move that may be good is if Mrazek gets passed over by Vegas and takes it as a wake up call and comes to camp ready to go with his head on straight to take back the starting job. He could also take it as a big "f*** you" though, and refuse to play, and let Holland roll with his protected saviour Howard, who hasn't played more than 60 games since 2012, and has a spotty regular season record, and nearly nonexistent playoff record, and inconsistent big man who plays smaller than Petr, Coreau who showed he wasn't ready for the big team last season, and watch it all unfold and laugh.