• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Red Wings Expansion Draft Protected List

Rate this topic

5 minutes ago, MDCard said:

A young goalie like Mrazek is going to have spells where he may underperform...Kenny protected a guy 8 years older who gets injured every year stumbling and flopping around behind the net after a puck mishandle.  Bad asset management.

If you want to see how good a goalie is, check them out during the shootout.  Petr has some talent.  Not sure if it will ever fully materialize, but he is a more valuable asset at this point in his career than Jimmy Howard.

Spells of underperforming? Is that whats called. Mrazek has under-performed more in his time in the NHL than he has performed. That is not a spell. That is the norm. Did you really say that the shootout is the determination of a good goalie? That is the most insane thing in this thread so far. A goalie that performs in the 65 minute prior to the shootout is far more important than a goalie that can perform in the gimmick skills competition. Its sure nice that Mrazek might be able to get a point every now and then in the shootout. Not nearly nice enough to make up for the two points lost in regulation time far more often.

7 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Or go back to Vezina form and never look back. I admit, that may be unlikely, but so is the scenario you mention. I think Mrazek will end up falling somewhere in between the two extremes and be a very good starting goaltender. People seem to forget that he just turned 25 at the end of last season, and is still very young for a goaltender. Inconsistency is very common in young goaltenders, and I'm confident he will eventually get it figured out.

Maybe eventually but I still think Fleury is the better goalie for Vegas especially if they miraculously make playoffs. 

The tandem would be good though.

5 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

. He could also take it as a big "f*** you" though, and refuse to play, and let Holland roll with his 

Al that would do is prove why he's an arrogant player that's cancerous for the team. I don't think it would be smart from him to take that approach.

If he gets claimed and turns out to be a top 5 goalie eventually for another team, f*** that will be hilarious. Eh Holland? ******* idiot. Zero chance Howard or Coreau is looked at, so expose your goalie with the highest potential. You think Vegas cares about his prior mess ups? He's 24. Already showed a lot of promise. Even if they don't keep him, he'll get them something better in a trade than any other unprotected player on the Wings will. McPhee had already talked about "cornering" the goalie market, and grabbing a few and getting assets for them. Mrazek is in that category. Nice knowin ya Petr. May you show what you can do and shove it up Holland's ass while Howard's hurt and Coreau has to start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So we knew that we needed top 2 Def (2x), top six center and now we will need to find goalie (since Mrazek is not part of the future). 

LV will have a better team going into next season... Red Wings needs a changes and it will need to start with KH

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

If he gets claimed and turns out to be a top 5 goalie eventually for another team, f*** that will be hilarious. Eh Holland? ******* idiot. Zero chance Howard or Coreau is looked at, so expose your goalie with the highest potential. You think Vegas cares about his prior mess ups? He's 24. Already showed a lot of promise. Even if they don't keep him, he'll get them something better in a trade than any other unprotected player on the Wings will. McPhee had already talked about "cornering" the goalie market, and grabbing a few and getting assets for them. Mrazek is in that category. Nice knowin ya Petr. May you show what you can do and shove it up Holland's ass while Howard's hurt and Coreau has to start.

Unless KH plan is to suck for next 10 seasons....

So we knew that we needed top 2 Def (2x), top six center and now we will need to find goalie (since Mrazek is not part of the future). 
LV will have a better team going into next season... Red Wings needs a changes and it will need to start with KH
Unless KH plan is to suck for next 10 seasons....

Probably suck anyways. Lol

Since you are so concerned about Mrazek Vegas for sure needs more fans so why not join them as a girlfriend team.

The Wings are going to do a rebuild next year so better be prepared to lose some players you may like. I like Sheahan and Glendening a lot but if they're traded so be it.

2 minutes ago, GoalieManPat said:

Spells of underperforming? Is that whats called. Mrazek has under-performed more in his time in the NHL than he has performed. That is not a spell. That is the norm. Did you really say that the shootout is the determination of a good goalie? That is the most insane thing in this thread so far. A goalie that performs in the 65 minute prior to the shootout is far more important than a goalie that can perform in the gimmick skills competition. Its sure nice that Mrazek might be able to get a point every now and then in the shootout. Not nearly nice enough to make up for the two points lost in regulation time far more often.

I disagree that he has underperformed more times than not.  He has overperformed at times and then at times underperformed.  I guess you forgot about the 2016 playoffs against Tampa...we started Howard.  We lost back to back games 3-2 and 5-2.  Brought in Mrazek and won the next game 2-0.  Game 4 we lost 3-2.  Game five we lost 1-0.  

My overall impression is that Jimmie has been a very good goalie for the Wings over the years...but he is getting old and has a bigger contract on a team that needs some cap space.  His performance recently has been great...when it doesn't really matter.  When he was last given the reigns in the playoffs, he needed to be relieved by Mrazek.   Jimmie may have had good numbers last year, but he was OUT half the year!!

The more valuable asset is Mrazek as he has upside...will he achieve that, i don't know.  Neither do you.  

But to protect a depreciating asset like Howard over an asset with potential like Mrazek is probably a bad move.

I don't think i am alone in thinking this...

And i do think that Mrazek's success at the shootout coupled with Howard's lack of success in the shootout points to a talent gap between the two.  

I also agree that Mrazek could use some work...he is still a work in progress.  But he has more upside that Jimmie.  And Jimmie cannot play a full season anymore without a significant time on the injured reserve.  

But leave it to the Wings to protect assets that are depreciating...it is the theme of the past 7-8 years.

Since you are so concerned about Mrazek Vegas for sure needs more fans so why not join them as a girlfriend team.

The Wings are going to do a rebuild next year so better be prepared to lose some players you may like. I like Sheahan and Glendening a lot but if they're traded so be it.

They'll probably have a better team than Detroit will in their first season. Lol jokes.

4 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

While I wish they were, Holland has said no rebuild under his watch. Not protecting Mrazek, and any moves he makes this summer are made with one thing in mind: Getting back to the playoffs next year. It's not going to work, but that's what his mandate is.

1 minute ago, frankgrimes said:

How you think that we are going to rebuild? Our garbage, Helm, Errorson, LG, Abdelkader, Kronwall, Deke, Howard... ste all signed longterm with the contracts that we can't move... Nielsen will end up as Weiss 2.0... with so many expensive contracts that you can't move you can't start rebuild. We can expect that true rebuild will start in 4-5 years and it will take another 4-5 years To became a playoff contenders.

KH focus was/is to keep playoff streak alive... now KH is hurting this team even more than Errorson... 

They'll probably have a better team than Detroit will in their first season. Lol jokes.

And who says he'd even play for Vegas? Could be plucked and traded for picks to anyone looking for a young goalie with high potential that can back up their established starter, take time honing his game more, and eventually take over. One year left a $4m, then RFA. RFA status is a bargaining chip for Vegas too, he'd remain under whatever teams control after next season. Kenny must have taken up a very expensive drug habit or something, but whatever. Lol

Howard is what he is. Mrazek has been dog crap more than he's been good and the team may be getting tired of his poor attitude. I'd still protect him over Howard. Either he bounces back and is a legit #1 or he doesn't and they let him walk next summer. That said there are better options in net for Vegas. If they take Mrazek it will be to use as trade bait.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

No team in their right mind would trade for Glendenning or Sheahan. These players would barely crack an AHL roster, let alone the big leagues. 

If Mrazek gets taken, Holland should be fired. He hasn't been even close to perfect, but he's one of the lone promising players with upside on this roster. We are not in a position to be taking chances on people with as much upside as Mrazek. He's one of a handful of guys on this roster capable of being elite at his best. You don't protect Mrazek over an old, injury prone, inconsistent Howard who's never won anything in a much longer career. Likelihood of either being taken or not, this is a joke. 

16 minutes ago, MDCard said:

I disagree that he has underperformed more times than not.  He has overperformed at times and then at times underperformed.  I guess you forgot about the 2016 playoffs against Tampa...we started Howard.  We lost back to back games 3-2 and 5-2.  Brought in Mrazek and won the next game 2-0.  Game 4 we lost 3-2.  Game five we lost 1-0.  

So he went 1-2 with two of those games being at home and we are supposed to be impressed? How did that game 5 end by the way. Mrazek and his vaunted puckhandling virtually whiffing on a pass behind the net and not hustling back allowing Tampa to tap one in with a minute left. 

Howard is what he is. Mrazek has been dog crap more than he's been good and the team may be getting tired of his poor attitude. I'd still protect him over Howard. Either he bounces back and is a legit #1 or he doesn't and they let him walk next summer. That said there are better options in net for Vegas. If they take Mrazek it will be to use as trade bait.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

That's the thing. Other teams had underperforming high level talents that had s*** attitudes, or one of the other. Kane in Buffalo. Protected. Drouin in Tampa. Traded for high level prospect and 2nd. Mrazek, free for the taking. They should have at least let him play out the last season of his deal, and made a final decision then. Was a bad season all around in 2016-17. Either of the two other goalies had no chance of being taken.

2 minutes ago, GoalieManPat said:

So he went 1-2 with two of those games being at home and we are supposed to be impressed? How did that game 5 end by the way. Mrazek and his vaunted puckhandling virtually whiffing on a pass behind the net and not hustling back allowing Tampa to tap one in with a minute left. 

Typical forum BS of focusing on one of the few bad stickhandling moments and holding it against him forever. Lots of great goalies have had horrible moments in huge games. Get over it. The big picture here is pretty damn simple: you have one goalie who has a long career ahead of him and a lot of upside and another who's never done much in his career winding down, and you protect the guy on the way out either way with the albatross contract??? Idiotic. 

15 minutes ago, Dominator2005 said:

How you think that we are going to rebuild? Our garbage, Helm, Errorson, LG, Abdelkader, Kronwall, Deke, Howard... ste all signed longterm with the contracts that we can't move... Nielsen will end up as Weiss 2.0... with so many expensive contracts that you can't move you can't start rebuild. We can expect that true rebuild will start in 4-5 years and it will take another 4-5 years To became a playoff contenders.

KH focus was/is to keep playoff streak alive... now KH is hurting this team even more than Errorson... 

Next year could be were the Wings are getting a new GM, new coach - maybe Barry Trotz if the Caps don't extend the guy - and with that comes hopefully a new direction, philosophy for the team. I want someone to come in and do a Shanahan. Glendening and Sheahan were just examples, I'm a huge huge fan of Danny D and Larkin, Mantha but if a young top 4 guy wiith potential can be had for one of them they'd be gone.

´Let me see:

Vegas can have MAF as the starter and Ranta as the backup that's a very! good way to start your goaltending. The team and front-office may be sick of Mrazek's poor working ethic and his questionable team behaviour who knows but acting like this is a big deal doesn't make any sense.

Anaheim and Ottawa should be really pissed they might be losing Methot - Karlson's Robin -  and Vatanen.

Holland isn't going to get fired thisyear I've accepted that and I'm looking forward to next year, so losing Mrazek or whoever in ed is not that big of a deal for me, especially when you look at other teams I mean the Preds could lose Jusse Sarros

1 minute ago, gcom007 said:

Typical forum BS of focusing on one of the few bad stickhandling moments and holding it against him forever. Lots of great goalies have had horrible moments in huge games. Get over it. The big picture here is pretty damn simple: you have one goalie who has a long career ahead of him and a lot of upside and another who's never done much in his career winding down, and you protect the guy on the way out either way with the albatross contract??? Idiotic. 

Hey he brought up the game itself as a testament of Mrazeks play. All I pointed out was that the defining moment of that game was his mistake. Your big picture is a bit skewed. You state Mrazek has a long career ahead of him with a lot of upside yet he has yet to show he will have any of that. If Howard is as bad as you are making him out why hasnt Mrazek with that long career ahead of him and all that upside taken the spot and kept it?

5 minutes ago, GoalieManPat said:

1) He was better than Howard

2) He gave up 4 goals in three games.  Jimmie gave up 8 goals in two games.

3) He had one shutout.

4) He gave up one goal in the other game...and lost.  We scored 0 goals in that game...you can't win scoring 0 goals...which points to our other problems with this Holland-constructed team.

Look if we had Carey Price, i would protect him over Mrazek for sure.  But the choice is Howard or Mrazek...which is the more valuable asset?  

I guess you just hate Mrazek for some reason...