• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Red Wings Expansion Draft Protected List

Rate this topic

Just now, Jrugges said:

Lol, sort of agree with you. He's not a true number one really anymore but if Red Wings could cement someone in as the number one C for this team Big Z could thrive on the 2nd line or as the teams top LW. I think people actually do forget he's our best offensive player, and really was still this year.

It's people who dont watch games, or pay attention to numbers that get caught when they spew out nonsense here.

Just now, e_prime said:

nah.  HSJ needs to go if anyone.

She's hot. I'd keep her protected. 

1 minute ago, kickazz said:

It's people who dont watch games, or pay attention to numbers that get caught when they spew out nonsense here.

She's hot. I'd keep her protected. 

um. no.

If Mrazek does indeed get picked, there's nothing else in the works, and Holland offers up no reasonable explanation, I will lose my mind.

1 minute ago, kickazz said:

Hahahh, trynna change the mood a bit here

Even her writing is lukewarm at best.  ;)

As mentioned, I don't think we have to worry about Vegas taking Mrazek. Fleury's cap hit is $5.75 Million, they won't take Mrazek's with a $4 Million. Raanta's cap hit is only $1 Million, and Grubauer, is a RFA, but his cap hit was only $578,000 last year. I'd guess Vegas will take Raanta as their back up.

I assume we're going to lose Sheahan or Ouellet.

Edited by Barrie

3 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

This is so clearly going to to happen and people are just lining up to put their foot in their mouths

Well I mean... Look at the goalies available for yourself... Easily the best three are Loungo/Mrazek/Fluery... One of those three will be selected as there starter imo, and if they want two solid respectable goalies and money isn't an option, two of those three names will likely be selected. ( Loungo might honestly retire over play for them though. )

I don't think it's as clear as you're making it out to be.

Edited by Jrugges

38 minutes ago, kickazz said:

And this is how we know you actually didnt watch the games or pay attention to the season and just talk rubbish.

this post is rubbish. Z is now a 2C on a good team. That is it. We are 3+ years from contending for a Cup. His back will not make it that long. But again it is a mute point.

The big key here is Fleury both waived his NTC, and also publicly stated that he knows Murray is the future and has all but said he KNOWS he's gone this offseason. He's a cup champion, a veteran with excellent composure and apparently a good team player and locker room presence. I think it's as close to a lock as we can see. I think Barrie is exactly right in them taking a very low cap, quality backup elsewhere. 

No part of me right now believes Mrazek is taken, but i've been wrong before. If I was a betting man, i'd put my life savings on Fleury going. 

25 minutes ago, kickazz said:

For the people high on Mrazek, if Vegas DOESN'T pick him, safe to say his value was overrated around here?

Like I said they could have:

Goaltending: MAF, Ranta how do you not go for this if you are an expansion franchise? Veteran leader who has 3 cups and a young promising Goalie learning from King Henrik himself

Defense: Vatanen - Methot

Their defense and goaltending would be instantly better than what the Wings are having.

Also smart move by Holland NOT commenting on it because you don't want to give McPhees any insider information on what has gone into his decision.

That's the thing. Other teams had underperforming high level talents that had s*** attitudes, or one of the other. Kane in Buffalo. Protected. Drouin in Tampa. Traded for high level prospect and 2nd. Mrazek, free for the taking. They should have at least let him play out the last season of his deal, and made a final decision then. Was a bad season all around in 2016-17. Either of the two other goalies had no chance of being taken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After last season only fan boys see Mrazek as high level

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

I don't think Mrazek will be taken, but I wouldn't be shocked if he was for numerous reasons already explained by others. Either way though, I think it's absolutely foolish to chance it; another moronic move from Holland.

8 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

He was garbage last season, as was the rest of the team. Howard was better, sure, no doubt. But again, future? Howard has little left. Mrazek may indeed end up a bust, but we've clearly seen he's capable of outstanding play. He's still young and he's been in a rough environment of transition, with a rookie coach and a garbage team in front of him. I'm not shocked he's struggled in that environment more than Howard. Howard is capable of being a great goalie too, but he's been inconsistent throughout his entire career, and he's on the tail end of it.

Mrazek is still young. 

Neither is a great option right now, but we got one guy who's just getting started who could go either way and another who we know could be great today, garbage tomorrow, and injured the next week.

You've got to bet on the younger goalie.  

Edited by gcom007

43 minutes ago, Barrie said:

As mentioned, I don't think we have to worry about Vegas taking Mrazek. Fleury's cap hit is $5.75 Million, they won't take Mrazek's with a $4 Million. Raanta's cap hit is only $1 Million, and Grubauer, is a RFA, but his cap hit was only $578,000 last year. I'd guess Vegas will take Raanta as their back up.

I assume we're going to lose Sheahan or Ouellet.

Ya, we'll lose XO and get ZERO cap relief. 

38 minutes ago, Richdg said:

this post is rubbish. Z is now a 2C on a good team. That is it. We are 3+ years from contending for a Cup. His back will not make it that long. But again it is a mute point.

...actually the point speaks quite loudly. He led our team, but we can't expect him to keep it up. Now that point is moot. :ninja:

Yeah, I forgot in Wings land that one bad season defines a goalie for his entire career. Good thing they didn't give up on Osgood so easily. They actually traded their Conn Smythe winning starter to give him the net and show confidence in him. Mrazek just seems to get railroaded at every turn. Sure, he was named the starter at one point, but they still had Howard on the bench because he couldn't be traded. That can affect some goalies performance, knowing the job isn't truly theirs, and if they mess up, the guy who's had the net for the past 5-6 years will get it right back. Then Howard gets injured, which should have been Mrazek's time. Instead, Coreau gets a lot of the starts, and ends up with a 3.46 GAA and sv% well under 9.00. Why not let Mrazek work through things when your call up is playing that badly? He eventually got it together towards the end of the season, but still alternated starts with Howard. How hard is it to remove the distractions and stop throwing things in his way to further his development? If he does end up elsewhere after the draft, it may be the best thing for him, cause he won't get a fair shake in Detroit. I honestly haven't seen an organization give up on goaltender with his skill set and potential so quickly. Howard was coddled in the AHL until he ran out of eligibility. Then kept around through bad seasons, injuries, and a major lack of playoff performance for the most part. He'll be on LTIR or retired before this team ever sniffs a Cup again.

I am officially out on this team.  I cannot handle how ******* awful Holland is at his job.  Runs his team into the ground with bad contracts, and at least is given a miracle long shot at getting out on some if the player is taken.  The team should have 100% bad contracts unprotected.

I know it is unlikely... but wtf Mrazek might be better than Howard.  IF you were close to winning a championship, you might take that risk going with the more proven person... but Detroit is no where near that point now.  If I could take Mrazek in the expansion draft, I would because his potential is amazingly high, and a single bad year on a team with a bad defense is hardly enough to throw him out on.

Howard is not going to win a championship here in Detroit, and his contract is nigh untradeable.  

Mike Green shouldn't be on this list because he should have been traded for anything because of this.  DeKeyser also shouldn't be on this list, as he is the type of player that would come back to us later if we needed him.

The NHL right now is about two things.  Defensemen shortages, which will only get worse with another team added, and superstars that get coddled and protected by zebras.   When it comes to this draft, the two take away only lead us to ONE result that should be taken.  Protect our Defensive prospects.

Danny and Mike are not those, our window has shut, and neither are good enough to drag this team to a cup.  In fact Mike Green, is one of the worst defensive defensemen in the league. That was the reason he was dropped by Washington.  

However, Sproul and Ouellet?!?!

WTF, they are definitely going to be taken.  They might never become bedrock pieces of a team, but they are young and proven capable of contributing to a team at the second and third paring, and might end up being power play pieces.  These are the types of players that if all things were equal would be worth a 1st or 2nd round pick, but with Defensive shortages they might be worth a lot more after just one breakout year.

Mrazek, Coreau, Ouellet, Spoul, these are horribly risky to expose.  Combine that with the fact that Howard, Green, DeKeyser, are s***ty contracts and won't help in either rebuilding or competing.  This is enough to make you angry.

Furthermore, combined with the fact that the NHL keeps giving the cup to Pens and Hawks over and over again with bad penalties and drastically unbalanced amounts of power play time... it makes this whole sport empty.  There isn't any grit anymore when the rewards go to the worst behaving, and your team is run with extreme ignorance.  

I have the feeling Yzerman would have at least made us closer.  Holland has put us so far away, that we aren't going to be good until we crash and burn and get our own whiner or rapist.

I am out.  The glory days before the lockout are all the NHL level hockey that I guess I will get in my lifetime that is truly quality.