• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Red Wings Expansion Draft Protected List

Rate this topic

If they take Fleury they aren't taking Mrazek. I don't believe they are going to take a goalie just to trade him. The goalie market is so saturated right now there is no profit. They are better off stocking up on extra Dmen if they intend to trade right away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, kickazz said:

This is all interesting because two years ago, you and others were bashing Howard for being mentally weak and praising Mrazek for his mental strength. Now I see the mental weakness that Mrazek has shown has turned into an excuse in his case. But for Howard it was a reason to get rid of him.

It's not "mental weakness". by all reports, he still has that "confidence and swagger" about him that Khan once described. It's finding his game. Never once did I see him get angry after a bad goal or game, or after getting pulled. He just had that "it's ok, shake it off" look. Lack of confidence is different from mental weakness. Legace had mental weakness. Even though I believe he can turn it around in this last contract season, (if he stays) I'll be willing to concede that it's time for him to move on if it's the same result, but that's provided he gets a fair shot. Jimmy's  game in NYR early last season got Blashills bingo wheel of doom rolling, and it never stopped. Starting Coreau while he had a 4.00 GAA at one point, while Mrazek could have benefitted from that waste of time.

We shall see.

1 hour ago, Echolalia said:

The last person I want in net is someone with a fragile ego and the ability to get shaken easily.  If Mraz can't handle the pressure of something as basic as a qualified starter backing him up, how can you reasonably expect him to handle real adversity (which he has also struggled with)?

Exactly.  He's mentally fragile and has an entitled attitude

To me the only surprise is the Mrazek outing and that has been discussed to hell and back in this thread. My take on that is two-fold:

- Holland knows Las Vegas most likely will Not pick Mrazek (for us unknown reasons), thereby exposing him.

AND

- At the same time, exposing him sends a signal to Mrazek as much as to anyone else. He is not the heir to the goalie throne, the job has to be earned and he has not shown any earning this past season. If hand comes to shove, he will get canned in some form not mentionable here, since that most likely would involve a complicated trade. Earn your keep or crawl back to whatever hole you got up from, basically.

Edited by Jacksoni

The point with all this Mrazek exposure stuff is that we truly don't know what's happening behind closed doors.  We can speculate all day long, but we really have zero reliable information.  I don't care for Ken Holland much anymore and do think this team needs an organizational shift, but I am at least willing to wait until after the draft to cry bloody murder over what he does/doesn't do.  He and McPhee are close (from what I've read), so it could be very likely that he has a deal worked out with him in some form (not involving futures on Kenny's end).

Other than the side deal route, I just don't see Vegas taking anyone other than Sheahan, Ouellet, or Sproul....  low-risk moves that don't break their bank.

20 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

The point with all this Mrazek exposure stuff is that we truly don't know what's happening behind closed doors.  We can speculate all day long, but we really have zero reliable information.  I don't care for Ken Holland much anymore and do think this team needs an organizational shift, but I am at least willing to wait until after the draft to cry bloody murder over what he does/doesn't do.  He and McPhee are close (from what I've read), so it could be very likely that he has a deal worked out with him in some form (not involving futures on Kenny's end).

Other than the side deal route, I just don't see Vegas taking anyone other than Sheahan, Ouellet, or Sproul....  low-risk moves that don't break their bank.

I'll tell you what's going on. It's over. He's gone. The world you lived in before this was a lie. This is a Jimmy Howard world.

bIYS7Xh.gif

To me the only surprise is the Mrazek outing and that has been discussed to hell and back in this thread. My take on that is two-fold:

- Holland knows Las Vegas most likely will Not pick Mrazek (for us unknown reasons), thereby exposing him.

AND

- At the same time, exposing him sends a signal to Mrazek as much as to anyone else. He is not the heir to the goalie throne, the job has to be earned and he has not shown any earning this past season. If hand comes to shove, he will get canned in some form not mentionable here, since that most likely would involve a complicated trade. Earn your keep or crawl back to whatever hole you got up from, basically.

He MIGHT know they won't take him, but why not give some kind of explanation. He was one of the biggest surprises to not be protected on any roster. At least with Florida keeping Reimer over Luongo, it's the age factor. And Pittsburgh keeping Murray over Fleury is a combination of age, and Murray being the better goalie. Howard over Mrazek is just one huge WTF? Neither have done much the past season or two to really stake claim to the top job. Had Jimmy been healthy all season and kept those numbers up? That might be an answer. But there is no clear answer. It's like he spun a wheel with all the goalies names on it and landed on Howard. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, chaps80 said:

He MIGHT know they won't take him, but why not give some kind of explanation. He was one of the biggest surprises to not be protected on any roster. At least with Florida keeping Reimer over Luongo, it's the age factor. And Pittsburgh keeping Murray over Fleury is a combination of age, and Murray being the better goalie. Howard over Mrazek is just one huge WTF? Neither have done much the past season or two to really stake claim to the top job. Had Jimmy been healthy all season and kept those numbers up? That might be an answer. But there is no clear answer. It's like he spun a wheel with all the goalies names on it and landed on Mrazek. Lol

Wow will you calm down? First he doesn't have to explain anything to us. Second he declined to comment on the day of. The draft hasn't even happened yet. Just sit tight lmao. 

4 hours ago, GoalieManPat said:

If they take Fleury they aren't taking Mrazek. I don't believe they are going to take a goalie just to trade him. The goalie market is so saturated right now there is no profit. They are better off stocking up on extra Dmen if they intend to trade right away.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I think I tend to agree with this. If there was a strong trade market for Mrazek, one would think Holland would have traded him. Why would LV want to waste a pick on a goalie that they will not be able to trade for assets greater then what they could have gotten for a player like Sheahan who could likely be traded for a 2nd round pick.

Wow will you calm down? First he doesn't have to explain anything to us. Second he declined to comment on the day of. The draft hasn't even happened yet. Just sit tight lmao. 

I'm calm. Just thinking out loud. Least there's activity on these boards now.

1 minute ago, kliq said:

I think I tend to agree with this. If there was a strong trade market for Mrazek, one would think Holland would have traded him. Why would LV want to waste a pick on a goalie that they will not be able to trade for assets greater then what they could have gotten for a player like Sheahan who could likely be traded for a 2nd round pick.

That will be the kicker, if Holland doesn't trade Mrazek, lets him go to Vegas for free, then Vegas trades Mrazek. That would look really bad on Holland. With that in mind, maybe there really is no trade market for Mrazek. Maybe Vegas really will take Sheahan/Ouellet/Sproul.

Holland is a strange gambler

9 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

He MIGHT know they won't take him, but why not give some kind of explanation. He was one of the biggest surprises to not be protected on any roster. At least with Florida keeping Reimer over Luongo, it's the age factor. And Pittsburgh keeping Murray over Fleury is a combination of age, and Murray being the better goalie. Howard over Mrazek is just one huge WTF? Neither have done much the past season or two to really stake claim to the top job. Had Jimmy been healthy all season and kept those numbers up? That might be an answer. But there is no clear answer. It's like he spun a wheel with all the goalies names on it and landed on Mrazek. Lol

If Holland is trying to send a message, saying publicly "I know LV is not going to take him, McPhee told me they are taking player X instead, this was just done to send a message" completely kills the message.

The message needs to read to Mrazek "We dont need you, don't think you are bigger then the team, get your s*** together".

If Holland is trying to send a message, saying publicly "I know LV is not going to take him, McPhee told me they are taking player X instead, this was just done to send a message" completely kills the message.
The message needs to read to Mrazek "We dont need you, don't think you are bigger then the team, get your s*** together".

True. Just can't recall the last time I've seen a team expose its current best asset in goal to send him a message. No shortage of weird surprises with the team these days. Too bad Abby couldn't get a message too that his seven year deal was signed because of his play, and it's not cool to take it easy after that. But, only so many things you can say I guess.

18 minutes ago, kliq said:

Agreed. Not that I totally believe this is a message being sent, but it could be that Holland wants Mrazek to think Vegas or trade partners around the league don't even want him. That could be a message that would bring his alleged ego down and make him more willing to get things to work in Detroit and smooth out any conflicts he might be having. 

Whoever expects Holland to speak and give away his managerial strategies (whatever they are if at all) before the draft doesn't understand management much.
I wonder if Mrazek requested to be traded/exposed

Holland doesn't say much about anything. He thinks he's smart and sneaky or something, but the whole league knows he's screwed royally.

34 minutes ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Agreed. Not that I totally believe this is a message being sent, but it could be that Holland wants Mrazek to think Vegas or trade partners around the league don't even want him. That could be a message that would bring his alleged ego down and make him more willing to get things to work in Detroit and smooth out any conflicts he might be having. 

I'll say this, I don't think Mrazek is a team guy, but that's not an attempt to knock him. I think he's very smart and business-savy, more so than most hockey players. Holland typically takes players to player-elected arbitration, I think so that, if negotiations go south, a deal is still guaranteed to get done before the season starts. Mrazek refused to do that, which is rare and ballsy/ego-ish, but also smart/savy because it worked out for him. Holland takes him to club elected arbitration instead (something that can only happen once in a player's entire career, even with multiple teams). My guess is Ken thought Mrazek would back down. He didn't. Petr's agent said at the time that he'd never seen a player so ready to go to arbitration. Mrazek said something along the lines of "no matter what happens I can deal with it as long as I only ever have to do it one time". In the end Ken Holland was the one who blinked first, called him before the hearing ever went down, and gave him his current $4 million contract we're sitting on now. Petr went on to say (in that Czech interview) "Detroit will understand that it's just business" however that could have started a rash of issues with the club. He essentially called Kens bluff at a game of poker and scored a fat contract, when I'm sure Detroit would have rather him take a lighter bridge deal. Clearly Petr doesn't operate like a typical hockey athlete, and IMO, I think he's the type of player who doesn't care who he's playing for, as long as he's playing and getting the money he feels he deserves. IE not a team guy, IE perhaps the type of player Ken doesn't want around. I think Ken expects his young kids to be humble and fall in line. Mrazek was not caste from that mold. So maybe this is Ken Holland's revenge? His big ego check move? IDK, a lot of speculation on my part. It's easier to just be a Howard slappy.

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

51 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

True. Just can't recall the last time I've seen a team expose its current best asset in goal to send him a message. No shortage of weird surprises with the team these days. Too bad Abby couldn't get a message too that his seven year deal was signed because of his play, and it's not cool to take it easy after that. But, only so many things you can say I guess.

Like I said, I wish they protected Mrazek.

With that being said, my post was in response to you being upset that Holland didnt fill us in on what he is doing. My point was that you don't tell the public the specifics of what you are doing in cases like this. I am not saying he is even trying to send a message, what I am saying is that IF he is, he shouldn't be making it public.

You make it sound like Mrazek is hands down our best asset in net. He very well could be, but this is not a fact. For all we know Mrazek will go down as another Norm Maracle, Kevin Hodson, or Manny Legace. The guy has never shown a high level of play for a long period of time in the NHL. He may change that, hence my comment that I would have protected him, but its no sure thing.

I think you need to accept the possibility that management may know or be seeing something that we are not about this kid's skill set.

I hope he doesn't get picked and that he proves a lot of people wrong and becomes an elite goalie, but it's no sure thing.