• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Red Wings Expansion Draft Protected List

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

If it's true that management have put Coreau ahead of Mrazek, that scares the s*** out of me... What makes them believe Coreau is better than Mrazek? Because he's bigger? He doesn't use that 6'6", 220lb. frame to his advantage at all. Because he won the Calder Cup? So did Mrazek, the difference being Coreau did it this year at 25, and Mrazek did it 4 years ago at 21. Mrazek has also had better numbers than Coreau every step of the way. Even as badly as Mrazek struggled this past season, his numbers were still better than Coreau's. Mrazek is a thousand times better than Coreau and any other goaltender in the pipeline. It's not even close. The fact that so many are ready to give up on a goaltender as young and talented as Mrazek is mind blowing. I don't give a s*** about the bad attitude. If he has such a poor attitude, trade him, don't give him away for free...

Protecting Howard over Mrazek was the wrong decision. I don't care if Howard has been better this past season, Mrazek is the better goaltender for this team going forward. He's 8 years younger and on a better contract (still RFA). There's no question in my mind that he will rebound from last season, it's just a matter of where he will be when he does it. BUT, let's just say he doesn't rebound and he puts up similar numbers again this season. Then don't offer him a new contract next summer, simple as that. Protecting Howard served no purpose. There's no way Vegas would have taken him, unless there was some sort of incentive attached to it.

Anyway, I think it's crazy that Holland actually left Mrazek unprotected, all we can hope for at this point is that maybe there's some sort of deal under the table to keep Mrazek while "sending him a message"...

No trade market for him as outlined previous. It's a bad goaltender on the books for 4 million that a protection needs to be used on. 

5 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Not the next Price, but at least Price was given his shot through down times and was held onto and told he was their future top guy when they traded Halak instead of him, when Halak was the better goalie at the time. It's about keeping your assets with high potential instead of older vets or others that have topped out. Oh well, hopefully Mrazek is still a Wing later today. If not, I hope Coreau or Matej can handle the work or Holland picks up an insurance goalie, cause Howard will have another injury or falter at some point. It's one of those inevitable things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price didn't act like a self centered prick and alienate his coaches and teammates either.  Also, he never had a season with a GAA over 3 and a save percentage of .901.

Mrazek is looking like a flash in the pan, like many other goalies before him.  Seems like some smart poster said this might happen when everyone else was proclaiming him a future Vezina winner.

3 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Well said. If there's no side deal to keep him, this has to be one of the dumbest, most pointless moves in a long time. If he gets the "message" AND stays and does something positive with it, all will be well. If he's dropped for nothing when no other Wings goalies would even be considered, and with ONE year on his deal and RFA status, it's a ******* train wreck. Kinda like the team itself I suppose. The kid had one bad season (Ya ya, he supposedly sucked after his birthday year before, yet still pulled off a 2.36 GAA for the season) and had a bad attitude. Someone, please take him, we can't handle this s***!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if he has another season with a GAA over 3 and a save % barely over .900?

25 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

No trade market for him as outlined previous. It's a bad goaltender on the books for 4 million that a protection needs to be used on. 

I don't buy that. Holland has been inept in making trades over the past several years, this is just another example. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are no "untradeable" players, and yes that includes Clarkson, Ericsson and the "terrible attitude, cocky Petr Mrazek"...

4 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't buy that. Holland has been inept in making trades over the past several years, this is just another example. I've said it before and I'll say it again, there are no "untradeable" players, and yes that includes Clarkson, Ericsson and the "terrible attitude, cocky Petr Mrazek"...

Well if Vegas selects Mrazek and flips him you will be correct.

McPhee has said he's only going to select goaltenders he knows he can flip 

23 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Well if Vegas selects Mrazek and flips him you will be correct.

McPhee has said he's only going to select goaltenders he knows he can flip 

The only counter to that is there may have been zero interest prior to the expansion draft, but then interest afterwards. One of the experts were talking about this. Teams didn't want to trade for Mrazek because they didn't think he was worth protecting. After the draft a team will have nothing to really lose other then a 4mil cap hit for a year.

With that being said, we should have protected Mrazek (then they likely don't select Jimmy) and then we could have traded Mrazek tomorrow.

2 minutes ago, kliq said:

The only counter to that is there may have been zero interest prior to the expansion draft, but then interest afterwards. One of the experts were talking about this. Teams didn't want to trade for Mrazek because they didn't think he was worth protecting. After the draft a team will have nothing to really lose other then a 4mil cap hit for a year.

With that being said, we should have protected Mrazek (then they likely don't select Jimmy) and then we could have traded Mrazek tomorrow.

Spot on. Why trade for him when you're going to risk losing him days later. Better to wait and trade for him after, whether that's with Detroit or Vegas who cares, he's still the same player. One of the reasons I think a trade wasn't doable before the expansion in this case.

I don't think Mrazek will be traded after the expansion though (if he's not selected). If Holland was waiting to do that he would have protected Mrazek to keep his value high and protect his trade asset. I think Kenny knows damn well exactly who McPhee is taking, and it's not Mraz. At this point I really do believe their trying to send the kid a wake up call.

If a trade does happen I think it would be after the off-season. If I'm Ken, I'd like to gauge how the kid approaches next season first. If he acts like a dick bird again, pull the trigger on a trade.

12 minutes ago, kliq said:

This exactly. It makes sense that teams didn't want to trade for him (or any player that needed protection), prior to the expansion draft, unless it was a one for one swap, benefitting both teams. There wasn't a fit, that doesn't mean there won't be a fit after all the dust settles. There is a goalie market, and for a goalie with Mrazek's ability and potential, you can be guaranteed there will be teams inquiring.

Leaving Mrazek unprotected was the dumbest move by any GM in this expansion draft so far... unless there is some sort of side deal that none of know about...

3 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Spot on. Why trade for him when you're going to risk losing him days later. Better to wait and trade for him after, whether that's with Detroit or Vegas who cares, he's still the same player. One of the reasons I think a trade wasn't doable before the expansion in this case.

I don't think Mrazek will be traded after the expansion though (if he's not selected). If Holland was waiting to do that he would have protected Mrazek to keep his value high and protect his trade asset. I think Kenny knows damn well exactly who McPhee is taking, and it's not Mraz. At this point I really do believe their trying to send the kid a wake up call.

If a trade does happen I think it would be after the off-season. If I'm Ken, I'd like to gauge how the kid approaches next season first. If he acts like a dick bird again, pull the trigger on a trade.

I really hope you're right on this... I still wouldn't have risked it, but if McPhee gave Holland his word that he would take Ouellet, for example, then I can kind of see why he may have did it to "send a message"...

57 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

But it isn't just Holland. Several teams have goalies that might be claimed but haven't traded them. 

People are looking at expansion like the Wings were supposed to gain something from it. But everyone is losing something. About the best you could hope for is not pay too much to dump a bad contract and maybe sort of break even.

Even if we were able to trade Mrazek for a 3rd or something, we'd still lose someone else in expansion. There are benefits to losing Mrazek. Pros and cons to everything. I don't like the prospect of losing Mrazek either, and I hope he isn't taken, but I don't think it's that bad if he is. 

1 hour ago, DickieDunn said:

Price didn't act like a self centered prick and alienate his coaches and teammates either.  ...

This is why people shouldn't speculate. Casual comments from people who don't actually know anything have a way of turning into "fact" when they're repeated enough. 

We don't know, or have any particularly good reason to suspect, that Mrazek has any real attitude problem.

Edited by Buppy

9 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I only hope that we lose a player that gives us some cap relief. XO is not o n the books, so if he's selected we not only lose a good young D, but we don't even benefit via cap relief.  At least if Mrazek is taken, we get $4M off. 

Yes, that 4 million would be huge. As Bups said, Mrazek not being selected means we still lose someone else like XO, who also gives us no cap relief. No team is coming out of this unscathed.

13 minutes ago, Buppy said:

But it isn't just Holland. Several teams have goalies that might be claimed but haven't traded them. 

People are looking at expansion like the Wings were supposed to gain something from it. But everyone is losing something. About the best you could hope for is not pay too much to dump a bad contract and maybe sort of break even.

Even if we were able to trade Mrazek for a 3rd or something, we'd still lose someone else in expansion. There are benefits to losing Mrazek. Pros and cons to everything. I don't like the prospect of losing Mrazek either, and I hope he isn't taken, but I don't think it's that bad if he is. 

This is why people shouldn't speculate. Casual comments from people who don't actually know anything have a way of turning into "fact" when they're repeated enough. 

We don't know, or have any particularly good reason to suspect, that Mrazek has any real attitude problem.

I'm well aware that every team loses a player, but we could have protected different players. One's that help us now, but more so thinking about the future.

We could have protected Sheahan instead of Abdelkader and Mrazek instead of Howard.

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Yes, that 4 million would be huge. As Bups said, Mrazek not being selected means we still lose someone else like XO, who also gives us no cap relief. No team is coming out of this unscathed.

Losing Ouellet would be best case scenario at this point. We don't need the cap space as much as we need quality players (even if that is just potential)..

Other than his actions and general behavior.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

And, it wouldn't be much of a "wake up call" if we (and Mrazek) knew that Holland was sure Mrazek would not be selected.  So, if that's the case, we're likely to remain unaware of Holland's exact reasoning on the decision.

30 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

I only hope that we lose a player that gives us some cap relief. XO is not o n the books, so if he's selected we not only lose a good young D, but we don't even benefit via cap relief.  At least if Mrazek is taken, we get $4M off. 

Well, but you'd expect that, if Ouellet is still in Detroit, that he's getting re-signed.  So, there's cap relief... just an unknown amount.

10 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm well aware that every team loses a player, but we could have protected different players. One's that help us now, but more so thinking about the future.

We could have protected Sheahan instead of Abdelkader and Mrazek instead of Howard.

Losing Ouellet would be best case scenario at this point. We don't need the cap space as much as we need quality players (even if that is just potential)..

I think about it like this...

Say, due to the expansion draft, Holland could only get max a 2nd for Mrazek, and pulls the trigger on the trade.

Mrazek gone + Vegas selects XO = We gain a 2nd

If the trade doesn't happen...

Vegas selects Mrazek = We gain nothing

The bottom line here is: Is XO worth more to Holland than that 2nd? I'm betting he is. If that's the case, the 2nd scenario is more appropriate.

I'm guessing you would have rather seen Vegas selects XO = We gain nothing. But it seems like perhaps Kenny's young D-men are more valuable to him than Mrazek at this point.

18 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

Other than his actions and general behavior.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

All of which has been overhyped by placing it under a microscope, over-analyzed, and repeated.

Until I read a statement from his teammates, coaches, or Ken Holland that Mrazek has a bad attitude, is a problem in the locker room, or is uncoachable, the it all remains speculation from writers amplified by fan bias. 

5 minutes ago, e_prime said:

All of which has been overhyped by placing it under a microscope, over-analyzed, and repeated.

Until I read a statement from his teammates, coaches, or Ken Holland that Mrazek has a bad attitude, is a problem in the locker room, or is uncoachable, the it all remains speculation from writers amplified by fan bias. 

I know, I've gone out of my way to really hammer it in that Mrazek is a total POS lol

evil-laugh.gif

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

23 minutes ago, e_prime said:

Well, there is also the bit where the GM (inexplicably to pretty much everyone) protected Howard instead of Mrazek... which is what all of the speculation is founded on.... because the goaltender protection decision doesn't make any sense without something like the Mrazek attitude problem theory.

I guess the other side is the Holland is complete garbage argument... but I'm not sure that I've seen anything from the Red Wings organization stating that either.

You're right that it's speculation, but it seems only natural to try to make sense of the decision.  And, that theory seems at least somewhat plausible.