• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Red Wings Expansion Draft Protected List

Rate this topic

I guess I'm asking when his contract finally ends and we can stop playing the LTIR games every year. Seems like it just keeps going...

He signed a longgg contract, which just seems to drag on even longer cause he's not playing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All this grumbling over Mrazek being exposed, he doesnt get selected, and a good lot of you are still grumbling lol. Damned if you do, damned if you dont I guess. 

Cheer up! Hasek light is still around to run old man Howard out of town! And we got more trades in the morning supposedly. When Ken does nothing there will be some more lovely good grumbles to be had.

20 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Some of these analysts have to be huffing gas. Coreau has passed him on the depth chart? Based on what? Having a 3.46 GAA and .887 SV% in 14 games with Detroit last season, allowing 41 goals? Come on...

I could see if he was putting up pre-last season Mrazek numbers ( never lower than 2.36 GAA), but he wasn't. He was even questionable in the AHL playoffs.

Friedman was commenting on management's opinion of Coreau. He wasn't saying, "Coreau's been better than Mrazek." He was saying Mrazek's fallen out of favor with management.

20 hours ago, chaps80 said:

So contract negotiations were "tense", and mutual frustrations carried over. Ok? Not the first contract Holland has had to negotiate that was tense. Should all players just bend over in front of him? And of course there were frustrations. Holland was looking at making the playoffs and it obv wasn't happening. And can anyone honestly say they think Mrazek stunk it up cause he just didn't care or was so pissed off that it hurt his game? That's always great for a career. Maybe he was pissed off at Blashill for giving Coreau the starts that should have been his, especially when Coreau was no better. That makes sense. But to be pissed off about a contract negotiation and letting it carry over that long? Nah.

For all we know, Mrazek doesn't want to be a Wing anymore.

For all we know, it's a total smear campaign with almost no basis in actual reality.

For all we know, it's a total smear campaign with almost no basis in actual reality AND it was a bluff meant to dissuade Vegas from taking Mrazek.

Ultimately, we just don't know.

is it me or has alot of players had some fallen out with us one way or another the last couple years what is going on might explain why we arent the place to be 

Edited by sjr2012

20 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

If it's true that management have put Coreau ahead of Mrazek, that scares the s*** out of me... What makes them believe Coreau is better than Mrazek? Because he's bigger? He doesn't use that 6'6", 220lb. frame to his advantage at all. Because he won the Calder Cup? So did Mrazek, the difference being Coreau did it this year at 25, and Mrazek did it 4 years ago at 21. Mrazek has also had better numbers than Coreau every step of the way. Even as badly as Mrazek struggled this past season, his numbers were still better than Coreau's. Mrazek is a thousand times better than Coreau and any other goaltender in the pipeline. It's not even close. The fact that so many are ready to give up on a goaltender as young and talented as Mrazek is mind blowing. I don't give a s*** about the bad attitude. If he has such a poor attitude, trade him, don't give him away for free...

Protecting Howard over Mrazek was the wrong decision. I don't care if Howard has been better this past season, Mrazek is the better goaltender for this team going forward. He's 8 years younger and on a better contract (still RFA). There's no question in my mind that he will rebound from last season, it's just a matter of where he will be when he does it. BUT, let's just say he doesn't rebound and he puts up similar numbers again this season. Then don't offer him a new contract next summer, simple as that. Protecting Howard served no purpose. There's no way Vegas would have taken him, unless there was some sort of incentive attached to it.

Anyway, I think it's crazy that Holland actually left Mrazek unprotected, all we can hope for at this point is that maybe there's some sort of deal under the table to keep Mrazek while "sending him a message"...

Back when Coreau was called up, I made a few tongue-in-cheek posts here to the effect of "Coreau is The One. Coreau will save us all. Hail Coreau!" Because that's kind of how it works with new backup goalies and Red Wings Nation. And...well...it would seem The Prophecy is being fulfilled. :sarcasm:

Or not.

I dunno.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We don't know why Howard was protected and Mrazek was exposed. On the surface, yeah, it's a bit of a head-scratcher. But I don't feel comfortable saying it makes no sense and was definitely the wrong decision. We can't rule out the possibility that it was a goof and we also can't rule out the possibility that it wasn't a goof.

7 hours ago, BadgerBob said:

If they can get that Foo kid maybe that'd make Tatar or Nyquist (preferrably Nyquist) expendable.

I think one of Nyquist or Tatar should be expendable, regardless if we get Foo or any other free agent this summer. Not because I think they're garbage (like some), but because we desperately need help on the back end. I believe Svechnikov could be one of their replacements over the next couple years. If we can use one in a package to acquire a young, unproven, potential top 2 defenseman I'd be happy. I'd be shocked if Holland does anything though, let alone a big multi-asset trade...

5 hours ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

All this grumbling over Mrazek being exposed, he doesnt get selected, and a good lot of you are still grumbling lol. Damned if you do, damned if you dont I guess. 

Cheer up! Hasek light is still around to run old man Howard out of town! And we got more trades in the morning supposedly. When Ken does nothing there will be some more lovely good grumbles to be had.

Good to hear you're finally coming around... ;)

9 hours ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

When does the Franzen nonsense ever end?

The year is 2020.

9 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm happy Holland doesn't have much cap space. Hopefully he stays far away from free agency. Just sign Tatar, Athanasiou and Ouellet, and that's it, no UFA's. I don't expect much in the way of trades, but if he can make one big splash for a young defenseman, without giving up the farm, I'd be very happy.

Exactly.  If anyone's on a short leash around here I want it to be Ken Holland.  No "new to you" veteran forwards!

1 minute ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

So looks like Holland didn't even make a side deal to protect Mrazek. 29 teams didn't want to trade with Vegas for him. I'll be honest, I'm a bit shocked because that's an even lower valuation of Mrazek than I would have given. 

Where are you getting this info from? We know that no assets were exchanged to keep McPhee away from Mrazek, but there could have been some sort of handshake deal. Maybe there was a conversation between Holland and McPhee before the protection lists were made, and McPhee made it very clear that he wanted Nosek. Holland may have even asked if he had any interest in any of our goaltenders, and he flat out said, "No, we're taking Nosek. We were very impressed with him in the Calder Cup Playoffs"... A lot of speculation I know, but that's all we really have at this point. But if that were the case, Holland had no reason to offer Vegas anything to extend their protection list. I don't know, I get that Mrazek's stock plummeted last season, but I find it very hard to believe that not a single GM in the league would have interest in him. Just over a year ago, he was in the conversation as a Vezina candidate. Anyway, I'm happy he's still a Red Wing, and I hope he's given an opportunity to prove that last season was an anomaly, and he is a true bonafide number one.

All things considered, I think this worked out pretty well for Detroit other than the character assault that's been happening with Mrazek. If he's truly a "cancer" in the locker room they totally ruined his trade value and now we still have 10 M + tied up in goaltenders which is never a good thing.

But.... having said that I'm glad he's still on our roster.

17 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Where are you getting this info from? We know that no assets were exchanged to keep McPhee away from Mrazek, but there could have been some sort of handshake deal. Maybe there was a conversation between Holland and McPhee before the protection lists were made, and McPhee made it very clear that he wanted Nosek. Holland may have even asked if he had any interest in any of our goaltenders, and he flat out said, "No, we're taking Nosek. We were very impressed with him in the Calder Cup Playoffs"... A lot of speculation I know, but that's all we really have at this point. But if that were the case, Holland had no reason to offer Vegas anything to extend their protection list. I don't know, I get that Mrazek's stock plummeted last season, but I find it very hard to believe that not a single GM in the league would have interest in him. Just over a year ago, he was in the conversation as a Vezina candidate. Anyway, I'm happy he's still a Red Wing, and I hope he's given an opportunity to prove that last season was an anomaly, and he is a true bonafide number one.

My information is coming from the fact that we did not make a deal to protect Mrazek lol. If McPhee told Holland he was going to draft Nosek straight off the bat, that's not a "handshake deal" that's just nice information to have. However, whether Holland knew that or not, that means McPhee saw more value in Nosek - an AHL player projected to be at best a 3rd liner - than he did in Mrazek or any type of return Mrazek would bring. Either way, Mrazeks stock is rock bottom at this point in time. That much is clear.

Believe it or not, I'm very happy we still have Mrazek. Hopefully the wake up call that this was worked on him. But this should also be a wake up call for LGW, this kid has been grossly overvalued by Wings fans for over a year now. 

6 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

My information is coming from the fact that we did not make a deal to protect Mrazek lol. If McPhee told Holland he was going to draft Nosek straight off the bat, that's not a "handshake deal" that's just nice information to have. However, whether Holland knew that or not, that means McPhee saw more value in Nosek - an AHL player projected to be at best a 3rd liner - than he did in Mrazek or any type of return Mrazek would bring. Either way, Mrazeks stock is rock bottom at this point in time. That much is clear.

Believe it or not, I'm very happy we still have Mrazek. Hopefully the wake up call that this was worked on him. But this should also be a wake up call for LGW, this kid has been grossly overvalued by Wings fans for over a year now. 

Or it could have been the fact that by having Fleury, McPhee wanted cheaper options for his other goalies and when looking at the Wings roster, he had no interest in a goalie regardless. I feel Nosek being chosen is more of a knock on guys like Sheahan than Mrazek. 

I do hope that Mrazek remains a Wing going into next season, as I feel it couldn't hurt to give him one last shot at redeeming himself. Low risk, high reward. Whatever keeps Coreau off the roster is fine by me. 

16 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

All things considered, I think this worked out pretty well for Detroit other than the character assault that's been happening with Mrazek. If he's truly a "cancer" in the locker room they totally ruined his trade value and now we still have 10 M + tied up in goaltenders which is never a good thing.

But.... having said that I'm glad he's still on our roster.

But this news isnt new, this has been discussed on these boards for months now. Either way, I hope this lights a fire up Mrazeks ass and motivates him to show Detroit what he is capable of.

5 minutes ago, marcaractac said:

Or it could have been the fact that by having Fleury, McPhee wanted cheaper options for his other goalies and when looking at the Wings roster, he had no interest in a goalie regardless. I feel Nosek being chosen is more of a knock on guys like Sheahan than Mrazek. 

I do hope that Mrazek remains a Wing going into next season, as I feel it couldn't hurt to give him one last shot at redeeming himself. Low risk, high reward. Whatever keeps Coreau off the roster is fine by me. 

Oh it's a knock on every player we exposed, Helm, Sheahan, Ericsson, XO, and Sproul included. McPhee saw more value in taking Nosek, or trading Nosek, than he did Mrazek or any of those players.

McPhee needs guys to play in the AHL too.  30 players taken plus any free agents he signs that were't int he expansion draft, 23 roster spots.  At least 7 were either going to be pending free agents he wasn't going to sign, were going to be traded, or are AHL caliber guys anyway.  I'm sure Pulk and Nosek will be given a shot at making the team, but it's far from a sure thing.

6 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

McPhee needs guys to play in the AHL too.  30 players taken plus any free agents he signs that were't int he expansion draft, 23 roster spots.  At least 7 were either going to be pending free agents he wasn't going to sign, were going to be traded, or are AHL caliber guys anyway.  I'm sure Pulk and Nosek will be given a shot at making the team, but it's far from a sure thing.

Do they have their own AHL team? Or are they sharing one with another team?

49 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

This is not a fact. I'm not saying it did happen, nor should you be stating as fact that it didn't. It is very possible that McPhee let Holland know he wanted Nosek from the get go. And yes that would be a "handshake deal" of sorts. Not in the sense of a trade, but I'm sure he wouldn't go back on his word without at least discussing it with Holland first. If McPhee then decided he wanted Mrazek (or a different player), he would have mentioned it to Holland, giving him the opportunity to make a deal to protect that player.

I'm a fan of Mrazek, but putting that aside, I find it very difficult to believe McPhee sees Nosek as the best player available from the Red Wings. I believe there was some sort of gentleman's agreement in place. Of course we may never know what really went down, but 95% of the hockey world were in shock to see Mrazek exposed, and a similar percentage were once again shocked that McPhee didn't take him. To me, there has to be more to it...

9 minutes ago, kliq said:

There farm team is now the Chicago Wolves, previously of the Blues, but I'm not sure if they're being shared. I would think the AHL would expand as well, but not entirely sure on that.

There farm team is now the Chicago Wolves, previously of the Blues, but I'm not sure if they're being shared. I would think the AHL would expand as well, but not entirely sure on that.

Haven't the Chicago Wolves been a few different NHL teams minor league club?

3 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Haven't the Chicago Wolves been a few different NHL teams minor league club?

Yeah, much like a lot of American League teams. It seems like teams are getting relocated every year. Too many teams are too far away from their affiliates. It should be like the Griffins and Marlies, in the same state or province for easier access...

14 minutes ago, kliq said:

Chicago Wolves, sharing with St.Louis. At least for now.

39 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Oh it's a knock on every player we exposed, Helm, Sheahan, Ericsson, XO, and Sproul included. McPhee saw more value in taking Nosek, or trading Nosek, than he did Mrazek or any of those players.

Not sure about that. Vegas ended up with 15 defensemen anyway, and there's only so much market. XO and Sproul aren't much further ahead in their development than Nosek, and Kronwall and Ericsson are both old and expensive. Same for Helm, and even Glendening isn't that young or cheap.

The "knock" is mostly on Sheahan and Mrazek...two guys who had very poor seasons while Nosek had a great playoff run with GR. Is it really a "knock" or just a poor decision by McPhee?

47 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This is not a fact. I'm not saying it did happen, nor should you be stating as fact that it didn't. It is very possible that McPhee let Holland know he wanted Nosek from the get go. And yes that would be a "handshake deal" of sorts. Not in the sense of a trade, but I'm sure he wouldn't go back on his word without at least discussing it with Holland first. If McPhee then decided he wanted Mrazek (or a different player), he would have mentioned it to Holland, giving him the opportunity to make a deal to protect that player.

I'm a fan of Mrazek, but putting that aside, I find it very difficult to believe McPhee sees Nosek as the best player available from the Red Wings. I believe there was some sort of gentleman's agreement in place. Of course we may never know what really went down, but 95% of the hockey world were in shock to see Mrazek exposed, and a similar percentage were once again shocked that McPhee didn't take him. To me, there has to be more to it...

Yes it is a fact. As of right now nothing was given to Vegas to take Nosek. Letting Holland know he wanted to take Nosek - which you don't even know if he did or not - is still not a deal of any kind even if it happened. There has to be an exchange of goods.

"Krsmith, what are you going to have for lunch?"
KR: "I'm gonna have the tuna sandwich"

is no different than, and no more of a deal than:

"McPhee, what player you gonna take?"
McPhee: "I'm gonna take Nosek"

To continue, why would McPhee give Holland a "gentlemans agreement"/pass when he's pulling 1st and 2nd rounders out of other teams to avoid certain players? As of right now, you cannot reasonably say their was any deal in place for McPhee to take Nosek. Holland even explicitly stated he would not make that deal, and by all accounts he didn't. 

37 minutes ago, Buppy said:

Chicago Wolves, sharing with St.Louis. At least for now.

Not sure about that. Vegas ended up with 15 defensemen anyway, and there's only so much market. XO and Sproul aren't much further ahead in their development than Nosek, and Kronwall and Ericsson are both old and expensive. Same for Helm, and even Glendening isn't that young or cheap.

The "knock" is mostly on Sheahan and Mrazek...two guys who had very poor seasons while Nosek had a great playoff run with GR. Is it really a "knock" or just a poor decision by McPhee?

I agree with you on all points. Sheahan and Mrazek are both young, but both are coming off incredibly low years. McPhee was probably avoiding downward trending players.