• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sputman

Red Wings Expansion Draft Protected List

Rate this topic

The bottom line is Mrazek was horrible. One of the worst in the league. That's not just kind of bad, or slumping. It was garbage. He's young. So what. That doesn't mean​ he's due to a bounce back just because his first few months in the NHL were good. Teams figured out his flaws and how to beat him and he never adjusted. Happens often.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

Coreau was a worse "dumpster fire" than Mrazek, yet got more starts and the WC. That made a lot of sense every time he was face down on the ice trying in vain to stop a shot looking helpless. And Howard, well not much you can say about that. Injured 2/3 of the season. , Mrazek was the "starter" going into last season. Of course you give him some leeway. All starters get some leeway. But the obvious railroading that went on when his attitude issues began? The Coreau thing was what settled that for me. Two goalies playing bad, let's give the callup with no prior NHL experience a bunch of starts instead of the guy who's seen a lot more NHL action that you want to take the top job and keep it. Great strategy Jeff. Why not talk to the kid and tell him to change it up and work harder, that they want him to play like he's capable of, instead of just leaving tensions to fester? Maybe they did try, but with all the "insider" info out there about anything and everything, there's no mention of any of that.

That said, this season is different. There's obvious issues with him, I'm sure he's well aware if he doesn't deliver he's gone. Doesn't seem to be a set starter in mind yet. If he is given the job and sucks again, don't resign him. But don't use last seasons issues influence how you treat him when this new season starts. If he can put it behind him, management and coaches should too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol you're an endless carousel of the same narrative my friend. Here we go around again!

When you're playing as awful as Mrazek plus pissing off the team, coaches, and management, they start looking for other options. Coreau was that option. The option didn't work out, but I don't blame them for wanting to try something new. Mrazek didn't do anything but shoot himself in the foot.

The bottom line is Mrazek was horrible. One of the worst in the league. That's not just kind of bad, or slumping. It was garbage. He's young. So what. That doesn't mean​ he's due to a bounce back just because his first few months in the NHL were good. Teams figured out his flaws and how to beat him and he never adjusted. Happens often.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Well hopefully he works hard this summer and gets to camp with his head in the right place, and listens to any advice about changing that over aggressive style that has become known to opposing shooters. Any goalie can change. Just because he hasn't faced much adversity in his career, and has probably had his ego pumped quite a bit, doesn't mean he should have an entitled or "I'm better than everyone " attitude. It is the NHL, and if he wants to stay and have a starting job, he'll have to put in the time to get there. If he doesn't, it's a waste of talent. But I'll wait until the end of next season before I consider him a bust. I think the major thing is his ego. I've said before he never looks rattled or concerned after giving up a few goals, which is good, but at the same time he can't just shrug it off. Won't get far like that. We'll all see this season what becomes of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm interested to hear how/if teams view another team's protected list and use that as negotiations for possible trades. Obviously seeing who is protected and who isn't should tip the hands of GMs and how they value some of their players. Wondering if some GMs out there are smart enough to leverage that.