• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
dmbongreyst

TheAthletic?

Rate this topic

12 minutes ago, dmbongreyst said:

Is anyone a subscriber to this site?  Hadn't  heard of it until today when Craig Custance joined the staff. Paying for internet articles seems asinine in today's world but if it's quality insight who knows. 

That was the first I heard of it as well. So I did a pretty small amount of research. Looks like they're adding a Detroit area site to their Chicago, Toronto, and Cleveland ones.. they seem fairly new. One subscription gets you all of them for $10 a month I think. Custance is from Michigan though and is a good journalist.. its getting decent praise from some of his former espn colleges as well. I can't really justify spending the extra money for myself personally but I'm sure it'll be a quality site.

I didn't pay for Custance's anodyne b.s. when it was for ESPN Insider and I probably won't pay for it now. His articles are almost all "human interest" pieces that neither ask difficult questions nor provide complex answers.  It's pretty much all "The Stanley Cup Finals will come down to who wants it more" type crap.

Besides why pay for boring hockey content when the majority of the really interesting stuff is coming out of blogs these days for free?

Edited by kipwinger