• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

9 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Wait, so Chicago traded away high flying Panarin? Am I reading that right?

Ugh, Rangers will take Tippett at #7, I have a feeling....boooo!

Yup, Panera Bread is now a bluejacket.. it's still sinking in for me. :P 

I don't think so. They traded away Stepan so I'd expect them to draft a center.. especially with at least 2 of the 6 picks ahead of them likely being defense. Wouldn't be surprised if Tippett is gone before they even pick though.  

1 minute ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

If Athanasiou gets us the #1 from New Jersey, I'd be for that.  He's our most dynamic forward.  We can't lose him for 2nd round picks.

Hah, would never happen. We could package it with Mantha, and they still wouldn't trade for #1. 

4 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

So you think Athanasiou plus, say a mid-round pick for Vatanen is overpayment?  

Yes I do. I don't see Vatanen as a top pair defenseman, more of a 2nd pair, power-play quarterback. And while that is valuable, we have a boat load of 2nd pair quality defensemen. I'd prefer to keep Athanasiou, unless it's in a package for a legit top pair defenseman. We also have Saarijarvi coming up over the next couple years and he's basically the same type player. I pass on Vatanen.

26 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yes I do. I don't see Vatanen as a top pair defenseman, more of a 2nd pair, power-play quarterback. And while that is valuable, we have a boat load of 2nd pair quality defensemen. I'd prefer to keep Athanasiou, unless it's in a package for a legit top pair defenseman. We also have Saarijarvi coming up over the next couple years and he's basically the same type player. I pass on Vatanen.

agree AA i feel needs one more year to decided if he goes with larkin and mantha for our future we build

58 minutes ago, sjr2012 said:

agree AA i feel needs one more year to decided if he goes with larkin and mantha for our future we build

Neither of those guys are decidedly better than AA.  Why do you think he needs another year?  He scores more goals than both of them in fewer minutes.  There are knocks on his work ethic, but those exist for Mantha too.  And there are knocks on his defense, but those exist for Larkin too. Larkin was demoted all the way down to the 4th line at one point last season because he was bad defensively. 

I'm not against trading AA (or any of them) theoretically, provided the price is right.  But I do think it's strange how people act like Larkin and Mantha are decidedly better than he is.  To me they're all in the same boat.  Hell, give AA 2 more minutes of ice time a night, powerplay time, and Zetterberg as his center and he probably leads the team in goals.

Edited by kipwinger

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Neither of those guys are decidedly better than AA.  Why do you think he needs another year?  He scores more goals than both of them in fewer minutes.  There are knocks on his work ethic, but those exist for Mantha too.  And there are knocks on his defense, but those exist for Larkin too. Larkin was demoted all the way down to the 4th line at one point last season because he was bad defensively. 

I'm not against trading AA (or any of them) theoretically, provided the price is right.  But I do think it's strange how people act like Larkin and Mantha are decidedly better than he is.  To me they're all in the same boat.  Hell, give AA 2 more minutes of ice time a night, powerplay time, and Zetterberg as his center and he probably leads the team in goals.

The biggest difference between all 3 is Larkin and Mantha both have one season with Zetterberg as their C and AA does not. Perhaps it is his turn this year to experience what it's like having a competent centerman.

We're so F'ed in the A when Zberg is gone.

2 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

The biggest difference between all 3 is Larkin and Mantha both have one season with Zetterberg as their C and AA does not. Perhaps it is his turn this year to experience what it's like having a competent centerman.

We're so F'ed in the A when Zberg is gone.

Agreed.  I actually think we should use AA as a center though, like he was drafted to be.  I'm not sure why the Wings don't see it.  Your most talented skater, scorer, and one of your better puckhandlers should probably carry the puck more IMO.  They probably have questions about his faceoff percentage or some dumb s***.

Edited by kipwinger

2 minutes ago, kipwinger said:

Agreed.  I actually think we should use AA as a center though, like he was drafted to be.  I'm not sure why the Wings don't see it.  Your most talented skater, scorer, and one of your better puckhandlers should probably carry the puck more IMO.  They probably have questions about his faceoff percentage or some dumb s***.

That and their probably worried about defensive responsibility. AA and Larkin should both be playing C, but they've both been poor defensively supposedly. Maybe their trying to exploit their speed on the wing for odd-man rushes and breakaways as well??? 

Just now, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

That and their probably worried about defensive responsibility. AA and Larkin should both be playing C, but they've both been poor defensively supposedly. Maybe their trying to exploit their speed on the wing for odd-man rushes and breakaways as well??? 

I mean, that's definitely what they're doing.  I just think it's short sighted.  In the long run you want your more dynamic offensive players at center.  Let Mantha, Svech, Tatar, Nyquist, Bertuzzi, etc. play on the wing.  They play without the puck and can finish.  But Larkin and AA are magic when they've got the puck on their stick.  Just stick them on the second and 3rd lines and shelter them in the d-zone until they get better defensively.

1 minute ago, kipwinger said:

I mean, that's definitely what they're doing.  I just think it's short sighted.  In the long run you want your more dynamic offensive players at center.  Let Mantha, Svech, Tatar, Nyquist, Bertuzzi, etc. play on the wing.  They play without the puck and can finish.  But Larkin and AA are magic when they've got the puck on their stick.  Just stick them on the second and 3rd lines and shelter them in the d-zone until they get better defensively.

I agree, and there's probably a way to shift your defensive scheme that shelters the C. I like speedsters playing C as well, like Draper Helm etc. And now we have two potential top6 C speedsters and their not playing C. Little frustrating to say the least.

My other thought was Zberg played mostly wing until we needed him to shift to C. Maybe they're thinking the same thing for AA and Larkin for some stupid reason.

Well they've already said that Larkin will play center this year.  I think they were sacrificing long term development for short term goal scoring because they were trying to make the playoffs.  Now that the streak is over hopefully that will be less of an issue. 

Yup, Panera Bread is now a bluejacket.. it's still sinking in for me.  
I don't think so. They traded away Stepan so I'd expect them to draft a center.. especially with at least 2 of the 6 picks ahead of them likely being defense. Wouldn't be surprised if Tippett is gone before they even pick though.  

Chicago traded Panarin??? I thought he'd be untouchable.

Quite a few surprises. Arizona ships out Smith and gets Raanta. Great move!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, chaps80 said:

Chicago traded Panarin??? I thought he'd be untouchable.

Quite a few surprises. Arizona ships out Smith and gets Raanta. Great move!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah a very surprising day already.. and Stepan/Hjalmarsnonsjajnnn to the coyotes too. Maybe they'll start making some actual progress. 

1 minute ago, amato said:

Yeah a very surprising day already.. and Stepan/Hjalmarsnonsjajnnn to the coyotes too. Maybe they'll start making some actual progress. 

Yeah I posted earlier today in the Arizona thread they were entering the draft without a bunch positions filled, including a starting goalie and a starting C. Welp I spoke two soon cause they fixed that right quick.

8 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

We'll, if AA is flipped for a D, they'll have to draft Tippett to replace his scoring. They just called him a pure sniper on tsn.

wELl iF aa iS FLIppED fOr A d theYLL HAvE tO DrAFt TIPpetT tO REPLaCe HiS sCoRiNG. THEy jUST CalLeD hIM A pUrE sniPER oN tSn

mocking-spongebob.jpg?quality=100&w=650

(Sorry, I've got like an 45 minutes or so left to mock you about Tippett, gotta use it)

Edited by ChristopherReevesLegs

27 minutes ago, amato said:

Lol, yeah...mortgaging the future for that elusive shot at maybe getting to the 2nd round if they get a favorable matchup and a little luck.

7 hours ago, kipwinger said:

i ment that i Want to keep AA so he can prove his better i dont mean larkin and mantha are better i mean i know they are part of the core to build from

7 hours ago, kylee said:

off season moves: Ken Holland moved from his couch to the refrigerator 

Stanley Cup, here we come! 

More like from the cart to the putting green. Then after missing a tap in putt back to the cart to kick the tires...

Edited by BringBack19