• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, joesuffP said:

I don't think Holland is dumb enough to offer more than 2 years on those vet defenders

I hope Holland isn't dumb enough to offer more than 0 years on ANY "vet" defenders... This team doesn't need any more vets, we need young guys that can help with this rebuild. Do NOT sign any over the hill UFA's. If you must sign a UFA, take a look at one of the young reclamation projects like Yakupov or Grigorenko. I'd go as high as 2 years at $2.5M on either of those guys, but I wouldn't pay a dime for any of those aforementioned veteran defensemen. We have enough depth at every position, we just lack top end talent. You're not going to get that in free agency. If you want to improve this team, make a f***ing trade.

53 minutes ago, MileHighWingsGuy said:

I really hope at some point the Wings find someone who can make needed trades and manage the cap. This is absolutely pathetic.

Yea Holland was the top GM in the league before the cap era because top players showed up at his doorstep ready to take pay cuts to be on the Wings. The salary cap exposed him as a weak "play it safe" GM that doesn't know how to shake things up. 

I have no problem adding a stop gap vet at 1 or 2 years. Just means Ericsson becomes a healthy scratch most nights. Regarding Sproul I don't think the organization is going to suddenly have faith in him and let him figure things out with the Wings. He'll get a few looks but he'll have to really impress to become a regular

14 minutes ago, joesuffP said:

I have no problem adding a stop gap vet at 1 or 2 years. Just means Ericsson becomes a healthy scratch most nights. Regarding Sproul I don't think the organization is going to suddenly have faith in him and let him figure things out with the Wings. He'll get a few looks but he'll have to really impress to become a regular

You really think Ericsson, making $4.25M would be a healthy scratch? Not going to happen.

The only reason reasons signing a defenseman in our position are

a. you want to move Green (at the deadline)

b. you want to flip you acquisition (at the deadline).

And even in case a. it's a bad idea so sign one. If you're a seller at trade deadline anyway there is no need for another veteran anchoring the D.

Only defenseman that would be acceptable to me is Kulikov. 26 years, should be a reasonable offensive D-man but had big injury problems. It would be a high risk high reward move that could pan out like Vanek or could maybe even stay as a bridge gap and a veteran presence once our kids are ready.

26 minutes ago, derblaueClaus said:

The only reason reasons signing a defenseman in our position are

a. you want to move Green (at the deadline)

b. you want to flip you acquisition (at the deadline).

And even in case a. it's a bad idea so sign one. If you're a seller at trade deadline anyway there is no need for another veteran anchoring the D.

Only defenseman that would be acceptable to me is Kulikov. 26 years, should be a reasonable offensive D-man but had big injury problems. It would be a high risk high reward move that could pan out like Vanek or could maybe even stay as a bridge gap and a veteran presence once our kids are ready.

Pass. They said the same thing in Buffalo and was a huge disappointment. Guy has never been able to put up numbers in the NHL.

33 minutes ago, HockeytownRules19 said:

Brendan Smith is getting a 4 year $17.4 million deal from the Rangers LOL

Crazy. Well good luck to them. I'll make a mental note to follow his stats on and off next season.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

Pass. They said the same thing in Buffalo and was a huge disappointment. Guy has never been able to put up numbers in the NHL.

To be fair he was injured most of the time there. I know he is far from a sure thing, but sign him for a year on 1-2 mil. and see what happens.

14 hours ago, Datsyukian-Deke said:

5 years ago I would have agreed with you. Now I'm expecting a 7 year 35 million dollar deal for Trevor Daley from Holland.

Lol. Okay. 

50 minutes ago, HockeytownRules19 said:

Brendan Smith is getting a 4 year $17.4 million deal from the Rangers LOL

LMAO. Talk about being overpaid. He plays 30 some games with them and they offer him a 4 year contract $4.35 million per year. 

And people ***** about Holland and the contracts he gives out. 

Edited by kickazz

5 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Lol. Okay. 

LMAO. Talk about being overpaid. He plays 30 some games with them and they offer him a 4 year contract $4.35 million per year. 

And people ***** about Holland and the contracts he gives out. 

7 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

But we are paying Kronwall, Ericsson, and Green more than that.  3 defenseman with much less upside.

5 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

But we are paying Kronwall, Ericsson, and Green more than that.  3 defenseman with much less upside.

Except that both pre-injury Kronwall and Green are better than Smith will ever be. Kronwall was a 50 point scorer that logged 1st pair minutes. Green was a former 30 goal scorer. Smith would be lucky to even sniff 20 points in an entire season.

1 hour ago, kickazz said:

Except that both pre-injury Kronwall and Green are better than Smith will ever be. Kronwall was a 50 point scorer that logged 1st pair minutes. Green was a former 30 goal scorer. Smith would be lucky to even sniff 20 points in an entire season.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything. The point is Smith's contract really isn't that bad when you compare it to other defensemen around the league. Just looking at our team, I would take Smith at $4.35M over either of Kronwall at $4.75M or Ericsson at $4.25M, and the argument could even be made for DeKeyser at $5M...

8 minutes ago, Detroit # 1 Fan said:

What's scary is Smitty probably would've gotten more on the open market. Gonna be interesting to see what Girardi, Daley, Hainsey and Kulikov haul in.

Khan reporting that Wings were willing to offer 3.5 if he hit the market. Not sure he would have actually got much more than what NYR forked over.

35 minutes ago, Detroit # 1 Fan said:

What's scary is Smitty probably would've gotten more on the open market. Gonna be interesting to see what Girardi, Daley, Hainsey and Kulikov haul in.

Hopefully Holland low balls and strikes out on all of these guys as well. The good news is, I don't think Holland can afford to pay any of these guys what they'll likely be asking...

Going to be tight against the cap after re-signing Tatar, Athanasiou and Ouellet.

43 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I'm not really sure what this has to do with anything. The point is Smith's contract really isn't that bad when you compare it to other defensemen around the league. Just looking at our team, I would take Smith at $4.35M over either of Kronwall at $4.75M or Ericsson at $4.25M, and the argument could even be made for DeKeyser at $5M...

Hindsight 20/20. Kronwall was putting out 45-49 points and playing big minutes before injury. Ericsson was playing top line minutes before he signed his contract and his corsi was around 54% playing tough minutes as well. Two years from now if  Brenden Smith gets a knee injury someone named krsmith53 might come along saying "I'd take Player X at $5 million than Brenden Smith who can't even put up 10 points and plays only 40 games a season with a bad knee". 

Kronwall was every bit worth his contract when it was signed, I'd even go as far as saying he was underpaid over the course of his career. Ericsson's contract was fine when he signed it, then he started sucking. Smith isn't worth $4.35 million, guy can't even score 20 points in a single season. And if I'm not mistaken you were the one who said you wanted to keep Smith at around $3 million a few months ago, now that it's more than a million it seems like you are trying to justify it...

Anyways, I'm glad New York threw this contract. Good riddance. Last thing we needed was another overpaid contract for an underperforming player (DK is still one of the most annoying contracts to me). We need puck moving defenseman sure, but we need puck moving defenseman that can actually put up points (more Mike Greens less Brenden Smiths). 

Edited by kickazz

13 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Hindsight 20/20. Kronwall was putting out 45-49 points and playing big minutes before injury. Ericsson was playing top line minutes before he signed his contract and his corsi was around 54% playing tough minutes as well. Two years from now if  Brenden Smith gets a knee injury someone named krsmith53 might come along saying "I'd take Player X at $5 million than Brenden Smith who can't even put up 10 points and plays only 40 games a season with a bad knee". 

Kronwall was every bit worth his contract when it was signed, I'd even go as far as saying he was underpaid over the course of his career. Ericsson's contract was fine when he signed it, then he started sucking. Smith isn't worth $4.35 million, guy can't even score 20 points in a single season. And if I'm not mistaken you were the one who said you wanted to keep Smith at around $3 million a few months ago, now that it's more than a million it seems like you are trying to justify it...

Anyways, I'm glad New York threw this contract. Good riddance. Last thing we needed was another overpaid contract for an underperforming player (DK is still one of the most annoying contracts to me). We need puck moving defenseman sure, but we need puck moving defenseman that can actually put up points (more Mike Greens less Brenden Smiths). 

What are you talking about? I'm not trying to justify anything. As I said, I wouldn't want Smith at his current contract. No one is talking about the players Kronwall or Ericsson were a few years ago, or the player Smith may or may not be in a few years. All I'm saying is "right now", I'd take Smith at his current contract over Kronwall, Ericsson and possibly DeKeyser and their current contracts (and current level of play). Again, I don't want Smith, just that I believe the Rangers are getting a better return with Smith than we are with any of the guys mentioned in 2017.

I heard on the radio today the Oilers are about to make McDavid the highest paid player in the league! $13.5 Million a year for 7 years!

Anyone else thinks that's crazy? I know it's McDavid, but he's only in his second year! Should he already be making more then guys like Crosby and Kane?

1 minute ago, Barrie said:

I heard on the radio today the Oilers are about to make McDavid the highest paid player in the league! $13.5 Million a year for 7 years!

Anyone else thinks that's crazy? I know it's McDavid, but he's only in his second year! Should he already be making more then guys like Crosby and Kane?

Soon the best player in the game, not even 20 years old and will be the next Crosby. Katz and the Oilers will get back way more than what they are paying the guy.

Crosby signed a contract that's been made illegal under the new CBA, plus his contract is worth 114 million $.

Mathews, Eichel and Laine have to love this because their deals will now also be massive.