• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

Im kinda ok with the McD payday. Crosbys pad day was big at the time too. Matthews and other young studs will get (not the same) but comparable contracts. Pay is increasing. I hate to paint this as lucky, but Larkin Mrazek (if both bounce back) wont be able to get nearly as much as this. The down year will keep them low. Kind of a silver lining if they do get better.

17 minutes ago, kickazz said:

It's worse, at least Lefty had legit debating points. All I see is name calling like "Trashill", not much else. Borderline obsessive. 

Dont take this away from them. They needed Babcock gone, and now they must reap what they sow. They'll s*** on Holland for the next few seasons too, then after hes fired/retired theyll freak out even more that the new guy is even worse lol. Thus is the life of a nonplayoff franchise. 

5 hours ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

I get what you're saying and I agree but at the same time look at what a full year with a healthy McDavid did for their team. The Oilers were a complete joke of a franchise for an entire decade and then all of a sudden adding 1 guy to the fold increased their Stanley Cup equity by a sizable amount. At this point, they are a team with very few good players after McDavid so even with him making $13 mil it's not like they can get much worse unless he gets injured or somehow declines very quickly. Guys like McDavid are few and far between, he's already the best player in the NHL at age 20 and is likely to improve over the next ~3-5 years.

McDavid has definitely had an enormous effect on the team's situation, but it really wasn't just 1 player added. Among others, in the last 2 years, they've added coach Todd Mclean and Draisaitl, Larsson, Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, Sekera, Talbot, Letestu, Benning, Russell, Nurse - It's maybe more than half the team is new.

The question is how much big contracts to McDavid (and Draisaitl) will make them lose this supporting cast. They might not be able to keep RNH or re-sign Maroon and who knows who else.

I've kind of change my perspective on it, though, since I read one article. Everyone thinks of Crosby's 8.7 deal as a hometown discount and apparently that was 17.3% of the cap at the time. McDavid's rumoured 13.25 mill would be 17.7% of the current cap, so maybe it's not that different? Still seems high to me, but maybe It's just inflation at work. We should be thinking proportional with the cap world anyway.

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

4 hours ago, kickazz said:

It's worse, at least Lefty had legit debating points. All I see is name calling like "Trashill", not much else. Borderline obsessive. 

I don't know, that Lefty guy did a whole lot of off the subject name calling... :lol:

We all kind of understand the anger towards Blashill though. Maybe it's for the good? Maybe he's trying to make them all complete players? I just remember when Larkin hit the scene he was right up there in points and superstar chat along with Eichel, et al. He went to All-star weekend and was part of all the buzz about future stars. Then it seemed like the more he learned Blashill's system, the more his numbers declined. Look at AA, he's electric, makes things happen offensively when he's on the ice. But all we hear is about he needs to get better. Sometimes you just have to let the snipers snipe. 

Plus his line combos are somewhat questionable at times...but maybe it's with good reason, We'll see...

3 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

McDavid has definitely had an enormous effect on the team's situation, but it really wasn't just 1 player added. Among others, in the last 2 years, they've added coach Todd Mclean and Draisaitl, Larsson, Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, Sekera, Talbot, Letestu, Benning, Russell, Nurse - It's maybe more than half the team is new.

The question is how much big contracts to McDavid (and Draisaitl) will make them lose this supporting cast. They might not be able to keep RNH or re-sign Maroon and who knows who else.

I've kind of change my perspective on it, though, since I read one article. Everyone thinks of Crosby's 8.7 deal as a hometown discount and apparently that was 17.3% of the cap at the time. McDavid's rumoured 13.25 mill would be 17.7% of the current cap, so maybe it's not that different? Still seems high to me, but maybe It's just inflation at work. We should be thinking proportional with the cap world anyway.

Yes but the cap can't just keep going up. Eventually it will burst. We, as fans, sat through how many strikes and lockouts because of this, and now player salary is getting out of hand. But, owners are making more and more as well, I get it. But it just has to pop sooner or later.

16 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Would any of you want Jumbo Joe?

Could you imagine him feeding Mantha the puck? The guy is a set-up master. I kinda hope he stays with the Sharks though and finishes with them. I'd still take him in a heart beat though!

2 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

I don't know, that Lefty guy did a whole lot of off the subject name calling... :lol:

We all kind of understand the anger towards Blashill though. Maybe it's for the good? Maybe he's trying to make them all complete players? I just remember when Larkin hit the scene he was right up there in points and superstar chat along with Eichel, et al. He went to All-star weekend and was part of all the buzz about future stars. Then it seemed like the more he learned Blashill's system, the more his numbers declined. Look at AA, he's electric, makes things happen offensively when he's on the ice. But all we hear is about he needs to get better. Sometimes you just have to let the snipers snipe. 

Plus his line combos are somewhat questionable at times...but maybe it's with good reason, We'll see...

Doubt Larkin would even make the roster if Babcock was still here instead of Blashill. 

Holland would have called him up but Babcock would have kept him a healthy scratch. Because "he shoots the puck but he needs to be real gud in the corners like Z and Pav."

Edited by kickazz

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Yes but the cap can't just keep going up. Eventually it will burst. We, as fans, sat through how many strikes and lockouts because of this, and now player salary is getting out of hand. But, owners are making more and more as well, I get it. But it just has to pop sooner or later.

This isn't the commodities market, if the sport grows salaries grow. There can be setbacks of course, but even the lockouts aren't indicative of that. Salaries have continued to steadily go up despite these disputes, and will more than likely continue to do so for a long time like the other major sports.

43 minutes ago, BadgerBob said:

Could you imagine him feeding Mantha the puck? The guy is a set-up master. I kinda hope he stays with the Sharks though and finishes with them. I'd still take him in a heart beat though!

Mantha has a higher ceiling than Drouin - The Athletic

18 hours ago, frankgrimes said:

Well with the new lockout coming and new rules of course young guys especially ones this good will ask for the moon now.

lol, another lockout. What do those owners want now?

18 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Would any of you want Jumbo Joe?

No way! It's time to rebuild through the draft.

1 hour ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

I've read some articles lately, including this one that have suggested that Mantha will become an "elite" goal scorer over the next couple years. I've been high on him for quite some time, and I tend to agree. I fully expect Mantha to lead the team in goals this season, and possibly challenge for the point lead as well. I'm not sure if he will become "elite", but he definitely has the potential to get there. Two questions for me would be, can he play with the same consistency and intensity through an 82 game grind, and will Blashill let him do what he does best, score goals (offense first)... 

3 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Salary cap has gone up because the PA has enacted an escalator clause lately, nut because revenue has increased that much. The NHL is a niche sport, there is only going to be so much money to be had.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

NHL revenue has steadily increased every year, and the cap has increased at roughly the exact same pace.

6 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Why anyone would want to come to Detroit that's a UFA is beyond me.

Playoff teams don't necessarily want them and are already good enough to make it far. Unless we're talking about someone like Tavares. Even a playoff team would want him regardless of elite they are. 

Edited by kickazz

8 minutes ago, F.Michael said:

Why anyone would want to come to Detroit that's a UFA is beyond me.

You'd think most would prefer to sign with a team that has a chance of making the playoffs, and the Wings on the other hand shouldn't be spending $$$ on UFA's considering how many bad contracts we already have, and the fact that it'll be at least 2 - if not 3 years before we make the playoffs.

I have no issue staying pat, and having the young guys from GR fill in when needed.

You lure them in with term and a no movement clause. 

27 minutes ago, ChristopherReevesLegs said:

We can probably waive Sproul and XO if need be

Yup, great asset management... Sad thing is, I wouldn't put it past Holland to do it... because everyone knows the smart thing to do as a team rebuilding is sign past their prime vets and waive youth...

18 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

Yup, great asset management... Sad thing is, I wouldn't put it past Holland to do it... because everyone knows the smart thing to do as a team rebuilding is sign past their prime vets and waive youth...

Something HAS to be up with Kronwall & Ericsson.  Especially since Khan had said that we are looking to add 1, maybe 2 veteran defensemen.  Although, I don't understand why we don't just let the kids play and grow unless they aren't completely confident in Ouellet & Sproul.  I don't have a problem with signing FAs so long as it isn't a long-term deal.  Daley for 1-2 years isn't going to have any adverse effects on the club.  My guess would be that Holland either can't hack it with a trade to bring in a 25 or under d-man for the top pairing or the prices are ludicrous, so he's looking for reliable, inexpensive options to bridge the gap until, hopefully, Hronek, Saarijarvi, and/or Cholowski are ready to jump in.  That's a definite IF because none of those guys are necessarily going to be top 4, let alone top 2 defenders in the NHL.  I think at this point the outlook is bright for Hronek and Saarijarvi, but time will tell.  In either case, if the deal is for 1 or 2 years for south of 3 million per, then I don't see the damage with that.  We're either in the playoffs or not and if not we trade Green, Daley, etc to load up on more picks for the next draft.  

27 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

That technically isn't considered rebuilding. 

Besides, Holland said his goal next year is to make playoffs. So again, doesn't sound like a rebuild.

I'll share my thoughts more once we see what the deal is (if there actually is one)

Edited by kickazz

16 minutes ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

Something HAS to be up with Kronwall & Ericsson.  Especially since Khan had said that we are looking to add 1, maybe 2 veteran defensemen.  Although, I don't understand why we don't just let the kids play and grow unless they aren't completely confident in Ouellet & Sproul.  I don't have a problem with signing FAs so long as it isn't a long-term deal.  Daley for 1-2 years isn't going to have any adverse effects on the club.  My guess would be that Holland either can't hack it with a trade to bring in a 25 or under d-man for the top pairing or the prices are ludicrous, so he's looking for reliable, inexpensive options to bridge the gap until, hopefully, Hronek, Saarijarvi, and/or Cholowski are ready to jump in.  That's a definite IF because none of those guys are necessarily going to be top 4, let alone top 2 defenders in the NHL.  I think at this point the outlook is bright for Hronek and Saarijarvi, but time will tell.  In either case, if the deal is for 1 or 2 years for south of 3 million per, then I don't see the damage with that.  We're either in the playoffs or not and if not we trade Green, Daley, etc to load up on more picks for the next draft.  

Basically hitting all the points there. To answer about why he's not letting the kids play; probably because they aren't really good enough to be top 4. 

Edited by kickazz

25 minutes ago, kickazz said:

That technically isn't considered rebuilding. 

Besides, Holland said his goal next year is to make playoffs. So again, doesn't sound like a rebuild.

I'll share my thoughts more once we see what the deal is (if there actually is one)

What isn't technically considered rebuilding?

Obviously Holland is going to say his goal is to make the playoffs, but without significant changes, that won't be and shouldn't be the case. And significant changes doesn't mean signing a bunch of veteran UFA's. Changes need to be made via trade. This team needs a proper rebuild, and I'm not confident Holland has what it's going to take to get us through that...