• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

Well it looks like Daley will be a Red Wing... All we can hope at this point is that it's only a one year contract. Of course we know it will be 3-5 years though... 

Also hope the Daley signing means that one or both of Kronwall / Ericsson aren't ready to go (LTIR)...

4 minutes ago, Nightfall said:

No terms have been announced yet.  I can live with a 2 or 3 year deal.  By the time we are competitive, the deal will be done.

I've heard this notion quite a few times lately, but I can't understand this mind set. Why waste the roster spot on a free agent veteran for the next three years when we could use that spot developing one of our young players? If he's taking one of Kronwall or Ericsson's spot in the lineup, fine, but he shouldn't be taking the spot of Sproul now, or Hicketts or Cholowski in a year or two.

21 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why give the playing time to a guy who's done his time in the AHL and has brought Grand Rapids success?  THIS is why we have disgruntled players on the Wings who don't want to hear Ken Holland's bullshyt.  Athanasiou and Mrazek aren't the problem.  This idiot GM we have is causing this freefall.  This move doesn't push Kronwall and Ericsson out of a roster spot.  It pushes Russo out of a spot.  A guy who has done nothing but excel at the NHL and earn his spot on the Wings.  

Kronwall-Green

DeKeyser-Ericsson

Ouellet - Jensen

Russo-Sproul

Or are we going to dress 10 defensemen after Holland pucks up 2 UFAs?  

I cant believe Holland hasn't been relieved of his duties yet.  He's so awful at his job.

Kronwall is pretty much finished. He can't play as a top D. Same can be said for Errorson. My feeling is that Kronwall will be on longterm injured list. 

It leave us with Jensen and Ouellet as a top 4 D and those two are depth Def 6-7-8 on 30 teams in NHL. Las Vegas could have a better D than us. Going after Daley as a top D shows that we are in deep trouble. Thing with KH is that he thinks that we are playoff team...

3 years at 3.1 mill per isn't terrible for Daley. Kronwall won't last this season and we are losing Green at the deadline. Dekeyser and Ericsson would be our veterans at the point. We needed someone to lead the defense. 

Edited by Datsyukian-Deke

4 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

I've heard this notion quite a few times lately, but I can't understand this mind set. Why waste the roster spot on a free agent veteran for the next three years when we could use that spot developing one of our young players? If he's taking one of Kronwall or Ericsson's spot in the lineup, fine, but he shouldn't be taking the spot of Sproul now, or Hicketts or Cholowski in a year or two.

Cholowski is not going to be here in a year or two. 

Also he's not taking anything away from Sproul. He's taking a top 3-ish spot of which Sproul is neither. Hicketts isn't coming in this year or next. Plus if either of Hickets or Cholowski miraculously make it next year. We no longer have Mike Green. 

Think of Daley as Mike Greens replacement after next year. 

It's really not as bad as you think. 

Edited by kickazz

3 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Why give the playing time to a guy who's done his time in the AHL and has brought Grand Rapids success?  THIS is why we have disgruntled players on the Wings who don't want to hear Ken Holland's bullshyt.  Athanasiou and Mrazek aren't the problem.  This idiot GM we have is causing this freefall.  This move doesn't push Kronwall and Ericsson out of a roster spot.  It pushes Russo out of a spot.  A guy who has done nothing but excel at the NHL and earn his spot on the Wings.  

Kronwall-Green

DeKeyser-Ericsson

Ouellet - Jensen

Russo-Sproul

Or are we going to dress 10 defensemen after Holland pucks up 2 UFAs?  

I cant believe Holland hasn't been relieved of his duties yet.  He's so awful at his job.

So then let Russo play over Oullette or Sproul. Since he's so good.

On 6/29/2017 at 2:30 AM, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

McDavid has definitely had an enormous effect on the team's situation, but it really wasn't just 1 player added. Among others, in the last 2 years, they've added coach Todd Mclean and Draisaitl, Larsson, Maroon, Lucic, Kassian, Sekera, Talbot, Letestu, Benning, Russell, Nurse - It's maybe more than half the team is new.

The question is how much big contracts to McDavid (and Draisaitl) will make them lose this supporting cast. They might not be able to keep RNH or re-sign Maroon and who knows who else.

I've kind of change my perspective on it, though, since I read one article. Everyone thinks of Crosby's 8.7 deal as a hometown discount and apparently that was 17.3% of the cap at the time. McDavid's rumoured 13.25 mill would be 17.7% of the current cap, so maybe it's not that different? Still seems high to me, but maybe It's just inflation at work. We should be thinking proportional with the cap world anyway.

The guys you listed there have had a pretty small effect on how well Edmonton is doing IMO. It's not surprising to me that a guy like Maroon all of a sudden lights it up when playing on a line with McDavid. I think the Oilers will be fine because you look at teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago who have dominated the league this decade and they both have multiple superstars and have filled gaps with role guys.

It makes a bit more sense since I've read all 3 of Kronwall (knees), Ericsson (surgery) and Sproul (ACL Surgery) are questionable for the start of the season.

We could have been starting with:

Dk-Green

Jensen-XO

_____-_____

_____

I think I would want to see those spots filled with Russo and some collection of McIlrath Lashoff, Renouf. If there's still room for 2 new guys to cycle in, I'm feeling better about.

7 hours ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

The guys you listed there have had a pretty small effect on how well Edmonton is doing IMO. It's not surprising to me that a guy like Maroon all of a sudden lights it up when playing on a line with McDavid. I think the Oilers will be fine because you look at teams like Pittsburgh and Chicago who have dominated the league this decade and they both have multiple superstars and have filled gaps with role guys.

Really? No one on that list? You have to be kidding to think that Draisaitl, a 77 pt guy, has little effect on how his team is doing. Their turn around isn't all McDavid. Switching coach, goalie, half your team must have some effect. Anyway, I'm not saying he's not the main impetus, but you said just adding "1 player" like he's the only reason. 

Edited by PavelValerievichDatsyuk

Holland blunders again.  I don't mind Daley, but I would have preferred one less year on that term.  Witkowski makes absolutely no sense when you already have McIlrath on a 2-way and Bertuzzi ready to make the jump.  They just pushed Bertuzzi back a year, which is stupidity at its finest.  They then give up a pick for McCollum when they could have easily found someone on the free agent market to play in GR or just kept Patterson.  I thought the idea in a rebuild was to grow your picks, not hand them away unnecessarily.  Now we have too many defensemen, too many goalies, and just enough forwards.  Holland has to go.  

It makes a more sense since I've read all 3 of Kronwall (knees), Ericsson (surgery) and Sproul (ACL Surgery) are questionable for the start of the season.
We could have been starting with:
Dk-Green
Jensen-XO
_____-_____
_____
Part of me would want to see those spots filled with Russo and some collection of McIlrath Lashoff, Renouf. You'd have to admit that that would something like a tanking d corps. If there's still room for 2 new guys to cycle in, I'm feeling better about.
Really? No one on that list? You have to be kidding to think that Draisaitl, a 77 pt guy, has little effect on how his team is doing. Their turn around isn't all McDavid. Switching coach, goalie, half your team must have some effect.

Long term solution to a short term problem. It's like buying a new car because your other one will be in the shop for a few days with no plan to sell your old one.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk