• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

2 hours ago, matt198913 said:

Need to see a trade. Tatar and Nyquist are essentially the same player. Get rid of one of them and find a defensemen that can actually play. 

This.  Even if you feel the value is lower than you'd like on Nyquist, you make the trade, get what assets you can, and either let the kids play or sign Hartnell, Vrbata, etc to a cheap 1-year deal.  

2 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Yah, we dont neef guys who are +48 on our team.  Much better to have DeKeyser at minus 25.  I know you and the plastics only allow stats that favor your arguments, so we can choose some different ones if you wish.  A lot of our defense blew chunks last year.

+48 on the Grifs...  

4 hours ago, PavelValerievichDatsyuk said:

Really? No one on that list? You have to be kidding to think that Draisaitl, a 77 pt guy, has little effect on how his team is doing. Their turn around isn't all McDavid. Switching coach, goalie, half your team must have some effect.

Draisaitl is very good. He also benefits from playing with Connor McDavid. Just look at last season with half a season with McDavid and then the previous seasons prior to that since 2007. Team was a lottery team every year until they had a full year of the best player in the NHL. I'm not saying guys like Draisaitl don't help, they obviously do but if you take McDavid off that team. I strongly feel as though they don't make the playoffs. Don't forget they also lost Taylor Hall who is a very good player.

34 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Yah, we dont neef guys who are +48 on our team.  Much better to have DeKeyser at minus 25.  I know you and the plastics only allow stats that favor your arguments, so we can choose some different ones if you wish.  A lot of our defense blew chunks last year.

And you have been so good lately. I guess you can suppress the troll all you want, but eventually it's going to come out. Come on Jonas, your better then that now.

Edited by kliq

32 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Obviously. Get with the program ya dummy. 

Edited by kickazz

5 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

Long term solution to a short term problem. It's like buying a new car because your other one will be in the shop for a few days with no plan to sell your old one.

Except that we don't how long the problem is around. Maybe he knows Kronwall won't play at all this year. Sproul had ACL surgery. Recovery from that takes forever and some guys aren't the same if it's a significant tear. And after this year, we could have decided not bring back Green.

I'd still prefer our prospects, but this one makes more sense with that context.

They still have guys who may be ready this year and who certainly be ready next year. No need to give a 33 year old a 3 year deal. Could have had Quincy for a year, or someone else for a year.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, DickieDunn said:

They still have guys who may be ready this year and who certainly be ready next year. No need to give a 33 year old a 3 year deal. Could have had Quincy for a year, or someone else for a year.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

It's the same thing. 1 year for Quincey or 3 years for Daley. Green leaves after this year; Daley takes his spot for year 2 and 3. 

Edited by kickazz

Maybe Kenny has a trade in place ref the McCullom signing and he's the back up or the replacement for Coreau stepping up this year , not sure what's going on if Kenny hasn't got something in mind as it is a strange one to say the least. 

19 hours ago, kickazz said:

Cholowski is not going to be here in a year or two. 

Also he's not taking anything away from Sproul. He's taking a top 3-ish spot of which Sproul is neither. Hicketts isn't coming in this year or next. Plus if either of Hickets or Cholowski miraculously make it next year. We no longer have Mike Green. 

Think of Daley as Mike Greens replacement after next year. 

It's really not as bad as you think. 

Hicketts and Cholowski can be ready two years from now, and they're not the only ones. Why are you so confident none of these guys will be in Detroit in the next 2 years? They will be ready by then, but signing old vets will keep them down.

Signing Daley IS taking something away from Sproul or whoever else would have been on the 3rd pair and is now scratched. Signing a player, whether he's top pair or 2nd pair, slides everyone else down, and effects everyone on the depth chart. The thing is, I would love a young top pair guy having that effect on the roster, but not an old 2nd pair guy.

Why should Daley be Green's replacement? I'd much rather re-sign Green to another 2 year contract after this season than have Daley for that time. Why let the better of the two vets go? That makes no sense to me.

Like I've said, if Daley is Kronwall or Ericsson's replacement, great. But if all 3 of Daley, Kronwall and Ericsson are in the lineup every night it's a terrible signing. 

Bottom line Daley is now arguably our best defenceman.  I think that speaks to just how aweful our defence is.  Compare our 6 to Calgary, Nashville, Minnesota, or Anaheim and try not to have a mental breakdown. 

16 hours ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

Draisaitl is very good. He also benefits from playing with Connor McDavid. Just look at last season with half a season with McDavid and then the previous seasons prior to that since 2007. Team was a lottery team every year until they had a full year of the best player in the NHL. I'm not saying guys like Draisaitl don't help, they obviously do but if you take McDavid off that team. I strongly feel as though they don't make the playoffs. Don't forget they also lost Taylor Hall who is a very good player.

Really?

Points Per Game
1. Leon DraisaitlEDM 1.23
2. Sidney CrosbyPIT 1.12
3. Evgeni MalkinPIT 1.12
4. Ryan GetzlafANA 1.12
5. Nicklas BackstromWSH 1.00
6. Erik KarlssonOTT 0.95
7. Ryan JohansenNSH 0.93
8. T.J. OshieWSH 0.92
9. Phil KesselPIT 0.92
10. Rickard RakellANA 0.87

Oh, no McDavid. Had 9 points in 13 games compared to Leons 16 points.

And no, I'm not saying Leon is the better player or the bigger talent, that's clearly McDavid. But after this years playoffs, the first for both, it looks like Draisaitl delivered more when it mattered most.

I'm not saying McDavid won't improve his performance or Draisaitl will keep that level of production, because as you can see, it's a level where you only see future Hall of Famers...

But right now, you shouldn't make the gap between these guys bigger than it actually is.

Edited by The Datsyukian Deke

2 hours ago, The Datsyukian Deke said:

Really?

Points Per Game
1. Leon DraisaitlEDM 1.23
2. Sidney CrosbyPIT 1.12
3. Evgeni MalkinPIT 1.12
4. Ryan GetzlafANA 1.12
5. Nicklas BackstromWSH 1.00
6. Erik KarlssonOTT 0.95
7. Ryan JohansenNSH 0.93
8. T.J. OshieWSH 0.92
9. Phil KesselPIT 0.92
10. Rickard RakellANA 0.87

Oh, no McDavid. Had 9 points in 13 games compared to Leons 16 points.

And no, I'm not saying Leon is the better player or the bigger talent, that's clearly McDavid. But after this years playoffs, the first for both, it looks like Draisaitl delivered more when it mattered most.

I'm not saying McDavid won't improve his performance or Draisaitl will keep that level of production, because as you can see, it's a level where you only see future Hall of Famers...

But right now, you shouldn't make the gap between these guys bigger than it actually is.

Big Draisaitl fan... Not going to dispute he doesn't have an impact. I'll go further and suggest that guys like Nurse having pretty big improvement definitely helps. I'm just saying that McDavid's contract is fine and they can build around him with cheap talent if they find the right guys and can be a contender. The pens have done it with massive contracts and so have the Blackhawks. Blackhawks in fact are the better example because they've had to say good bye to a lot of very good players in the last 7 years but have managed to fill the void with recognizing good talent for cheap prices.

People saying that McDavid's contract is going to f*** the Oilers are wrong IMO and there are good examples of teams that have been able to have 2+ superstars with massive contracts and be ok. I think Edmonton will be fine with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Usually a contract like the Price one is a disaster for teams.

However, I do feel like Price is the exception.

1 hour ago, frankgrimes said:

Well it's hfboards so...

every other fanbase would be over the moon to have Price

At 10.5 mil per year for a goalie, I dont think its as clear cut as you think.

If you give him a backup like a Jared Coreau (ie. someone making under a million), it can work as then you have 11.5 mil tied up in goalies, still a lot, but having Price in net gives yo a huge advantage every night. The problem, is if Price ever gets hurt, your season is pretty much done.

What do you mean by "Well it's hfboards so..."? I don't mean this in a sarcastic sense, I dont read that board. I just googled "Montreal Canadiens Message Board" and it popped up first. Is is a negative? Is it filled with people that don't know hockey?

Edited by kliq

4 minutes ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

We are paying 10 million to 3 goalies who dont add up to the pinky toe of Carey Price.  So whatevs.

I am by no means saying that our goalie/cap situation is better lol. The ideal situation is that of Pittsburgh (4.2 mil for Murray & Niemi), San Jose (3.6 for Jones & Dell), or even an LA (6.7 for Quick and Kuemper). Having 11.5 mil tied up in goal is going to make it tough to win a cup. At least it's the best goalie in hockey in terms of the regular season. TBD if he can do it in the playoffs.

Edited by kliq

At 10.5 mil per year for a goalie, I dont think its as clear cut as you think.
If you give him a backup like a Jared Coreau (ie. someone making under a million), it can work as then you have 11.5 mil tied up in goalies, still a lot, but having Price in net gives yo a huge advantage every night. The problem, is if Price ever gets hurt, your season is pretty much done.
What do you mean by "Well it's hfboards so..."? I don't mean this in a sarcastic sense, I dont read that board. I just googled "Montreal Canadiens Message Board" and it popped up first. Is is a negative? Is it filled with people that don't know hockey?

Used to be a grear site but nowadays it's a collection of trolls, know it all wanna be experts which is sad.

Yes it's a lot of money but usually your best player is paid like it so it does make sense. Yes if he gets hurt they are done but so would the Oilers if McDavid gets hurt no one can replace their best players

Price basically means Montreal is starting with a 1:0 advantage

4 minutes ago, frankgrimes said:

Used to be a grear site but nowadays it's a collection of trolls, know it all wanna be experts which is sad.

Yes it's a lot of money but usually your best player is paid like it so it does make sense. Yes if he gets hurt they are done but so would the Oilers if McDavid gets hurt no one can replace their best players

Price basically means Montreal is starting with a 1:0 advantage

Fair point. I think it can work as long as they can keep developing young cheap effective backups, and they better hope Price doesn't regress.