• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DickieDunn

Off-season moves

Rate this topic

At first I loved the deal because Price is clearly the best goalie in the league to me but now after thinking about it a little bit further, I'm starting to notice that in the salary cap era, I can't really think of a long term superstar deal that has worked out extremely well for teams but I can think of many situations down the road where contracts have handcuffed teams really bad. On the one side you get a player like Price locked up in his prime but by the end of his contract he'll be 37 years old so when does his level of play start to suffer? Every player is different obviously but I don't think it's crazy to say that it might be half way through the contract and then what? Plus, there's always a chance for injury.

4 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

At first I loved the deal because Price is clearly the best goalie in the league to me but now after thinking about it a little bit further, I'm starting to notice that in the salary cap era, I can't really think of a long term superstar deal that has worked out extremely well for teams but I can think of many situations down the road where contracts have handcuffed teams really bad. On the one side you get a player like Price locked up in his prime but by the end of his contract he'll be 37 years old so when does his level of play start to suffer? Every player is different obviously but I don't think it's crazy to say that it might be half way through the contract and then what? Plus, there's always a chance for injury.

Price turns 30 in August, and the deal kicks in next season. This deal will go until he is 39.

Kusnetsov just got $7.8M per for his sub 60 point production. Tatar at $5.5M will be a steal. Also looking at that deal, Nyquist deal looks stellar compared. Maybe i am too hard on the lil fella.

Who the hell is running Washington? They only have 9 feds and 5 D signed with only $4Mish left in cap space.

14 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Kusnetsov just got $7.8M per for his sub 60 point production. Tatar at $5.5M will be a steal. Also looking at that deal, Nyquist deal looks stellar compared. Maybe i am too hard on the lil fella.

Who the hell is running Washington? They only have 9 feds and 5 D signed with only $4Mish left in cap space.

If you are looking at last year in a bubble sure, 2 seasons ago Kuznetsov had 77 points in 82 games. Last season I had him in fantasy lol, he had a really bad Oct/Nov, but then came on strong.

Edited by kliq

5 minutes ago, kliq said:

If you are looking at last year in a bubble sure, 2 seasons ago Kuznetsov had 77 points in 82 games. Last season I had him in fantasy lol, he had a really bad Oct/Nov, but then came on strong.

Ya, I saw that, but the season before he had 37 points in 80. Maybe he becomes a PPG player, but I'd be pissed if Holland gave that contract out. I think a lot of us would. He has 8 years to prove it. The last 2 out of 3, IMO don't justify 8 yrs 7.8M...

Edited by LeftWinger

33 minutes ago, Never_Retire_Steve said:

Right, it was an extension. Thanks for pointing that out... Not a huge fan based on that information.

What do people think of the Marleau deal?

I think that they grossly overpaid for Marleau, who at this point in his career is only declining and putting up less and less point-wise.  Having said that, he'll be a great veteran to help along some of those kids and be a mentor for the next 3 years.  It's just a really bad contract for a 38 year old declining forward.  Of course, he had 27 goals last season, and I think he'll be playing on Matthews left wing so.... yeah.  Haha, he may clean up.

13 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Ya, I saw that, but the season before he had 37 points in 80. Maybe he becomes a PPG player, but I'd be pissed if Holland gave that contract out. I think a lot of us would. He has 8 years to prove it. The last 2 out of 3, IMO don't justify 8 yrs 7.8M...

13 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Not to quote myself, but they quickly traded Johanssen and now have $9.5M in cap space. Must be nice to have a GM that can clear cap when needed. Just dump E for a 7th man, someone will take him for that...or hell even future considerations. We need to open up more cap.

21 hours ago, kliq said:

Reading the Canadiens message board right now and fans are pissed at this contract lol

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=2366419&page=4 (to mods, my apologies if I am not allowed to post this)

In today's league, there's no reason to give that much money to any goalie.  That gives a team less money to spend elsewhere.  Montreal has been lacking in talent at the forward position for about 25 years.  That's why they haven't won a Cup in so long.  

11 hours ago, SwedeLundin77 said:

I think that they grossly overpaid for Marleau, who at this point in his career is only declining and putting up less and less point-wise.  Having said that, he'll be a great veteran to help along some of those kids and be a mentor for the next 3 years.  It's just a really bad contract for a 38 year old declining forward.  Of course, he had 27 goals last season, and I think he'll be playing on Matthews left wing so.... yeah.  Haha, he may clean up.

Not a huge fan of the Marleau contract for reasons you pointed out but I actually believe that he is probably best fit in a team like Toronto as he's still a very good player and Toronto has a very bright future.

I think that's a decent deal for Dallas. Looks like their plan hasn't changed much in the past 3-5 and will simply look to win every game 6-5.

From what I can tell Toronto is over the cap as well.

Man, I went to cap friendly and tried to put together a team that I think we could reasonably ice this season and after July 1 it's really hard to try and move guys since so many teams have made signings/trade. Probably should've played around with it beforehand to see what it may have potentially looked like.

3 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Not to quote myself, but they quickly traded Johanssen and now have $9.5M in cap space. Must be nice to have a GM that can clear cap when needed. Just dump E for a 7th man, someone will take him for that...or hell even future considerations. We need to open up more cap.

I would say that Johanssen and Nyquist are similar in value. Would anyone trade Nyquist for a 2nd and 3rd round pick? This isn't directed at you Lefty, because I already know your answer. Asking those that don't hate Nyquist (for some inexplicable reason). I don't think I'd do it, unless it was the difference in being able to re-sign a Larkin or Mantha. I would hope though that there would be better ways to shed the cap space. In other words, I think New Jersey benefitted from Washington's cap crunch and won this trade.

Too bad when were in a cap crunch, we can't dump cap. If we were in a cap crunch I'd trade Nyquist, Howard, Ericsson, Helm all for 2nd and 3rds. I hope Holland does. All 4 are replaceable. In order to save cap, I'd trade Tatar for a 2nd and 3rd.

1 hour ago, F.Michael said:

Yeah - looks like Lamoriello really screwed the pooch this past weekend.

Hainsey - lol.

Marleau  - lol.

Tied up a lot of $$$ on guys who are likely not gonna contribute much.

Lamoriello can't hear you.  He's got his two Stanley Cup rings plugged into his ears.................and a third up his arse.