Rate this topic

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:32 PM, kickazz said:

I sure miss you

Once in awhile I let out a rant.

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:11 PM, LeftWinger said:

I sure miss the Holland gifs.

Like this classic!

Edited by LeftWinger

Looks like we're still in the running for Vanek.  I'd love to have him back.  He played really well with us and if our season goes south again, we can always trade him again.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/07/12/detroit-red-wings-thomas-vanek/471942001/

13 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Looks like we're still in the running for Vanek.  I'd love to have him back.  He played really well with us and if our season goes south again, we can always trade him again.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2017/07/12/detroit-red-wings-thomas-vanek/471942001/

I just don't see how it's possible with the limited cap space, and Tatar and Athanasiou still to be signed. The only way it's doable is if Holland manages to make a trade, and that's not going to happen...

11 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I just don't see how it's possible with the limited cap space, and Tatar and Athanasiou still to be signed. The only way it's doable is if Holland manages to make a trade, and that's not going to happen...

You're right, we don't have very much cap space, so I'm not sure financially how he would do this either, but the fact that we're talking to him means that Holland has to have some kind of plan.

21 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

You're right, we don't have very much cap space, so I'm not sure financially how he would do this either, but the fact that we're talking to him means that Holland has to have some kind of plan.

Does he really though? If that plan is to spend above the cap and worry about it after training camp again, I'm not sure if that's the best plan...

I'd welcome Vanek back if we could trade one of Tatar or Nyquist for a top pair defenseman... Hell, I'd even go that route if we could trade one for a high end prospect and / or a pick.

Sign Vanek and trade Tatar / Nyquist in a package for a Trouba / Dumba type, or for a prospect like Montour / Sanheim / Bean / Fabbro / McLeod / Gauthier... Get it done Kenny!

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

1 hour ago, xtrememachine1 said:

1 hour ago, Dabura said:

I figure Vanek is a contingency plan, re: the Tatar situation.

I think we have cap space to sign all of AA, Tatar and Vanek.

We have $10.6 million.

Assume $5 million for Tatar.

$5.5 mill left.

$2.6 mill for AA and $3 million for Vanek. Or however you want to divide it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Take a look at the deadline cap space. I think it's how much we're allowed to spend (every team is allowed upto 10% of the salary cap which is upto $82.5 million this year) 

Edited by kickazz

41 minutes ago, kickazz said:

I think we have cap space to sign all of AA, Tatar and Vanek.

We have $10.6 million.

Assume $5 million for Tatar.

$5.5 mill left.

$2.6 mill for AA and $3 million for Vanek. Or however you want to divide it.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/redwings

Take a look at the deadline cap space. I think it's how much we're allowed to spend (every team is allowed upto 10% of the salary cap which is upto $82.5 million this year) 

I don't think that's right... We have $2,278,788 in cap space remaining, plus the $3,954,545 once we LTIR Franzen, which is $6,233,333 to sign Tatar and Athanasiou. Tatar will likely get around $5M, which only leaves around $1-1.25M to sign Athanasiou. I think AA will likely get more than that, which may lead to another move needing to be made to be cap compliant. Whether that's trading a player, waiving a player or LTIRing another player...

52 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

I don't think that's right... We have $2,278,788 in cap space remaining, plus the $3,954,545 once we LTIR Franzen, which is $6,233,333 to sign Tatar and Athanasiou. Tatar will likely get around $5M, which only leaves around $1-1.25M to sign Athanasiou. I think AA will likely get more than that, which may lead to another move needing to be made to be cap compliant. Whether that's trading a player, waiving a player or LTIRing another player...

Teams are allowed to spend over 10% of the cap limit so if the cap limit is $75 million, they can go upto $82.5 to start the season.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/6/26/15871080/detroit-red-wings-cap-space-roster-spots-recapture-penalties-and-buyouts-for-june-2017-luongo-rule

"Also, prior to the season opening, all teams have an extra 10% cushion in which they can exceed the cap. While this means they could go up to $82.5, as long as their cap number stays below $79M, they’re right on track. 

If you want to be super-specific, say that the Red Wings have $11,857,500 in cap space. If you want to discuss it, just say they have a hair under $12 million."

32 minutes ago, kickazz said:

Teams are allowed to spend over 10% of the cap limit so if the cap limit is $75 million, they can go upto $82.5 to start the season.

https://www.wingingitinmotown.com/2017/6/26/15871080/detroit-red-wings-cap-space-roster-spots-recapture-penalties-and-buyouts-for-june-2017-luongo-rule

"Also, prior to the season opening, all teams have an extra 10% cushion in which they can exceed the cap. While this means they could go up to $82.5, as long as their cap number stays below $79M, they’re right on track. 

If you want to be super-specific, say that the Red Wings have $11,857,500 in cap space. If you want to discuss it, just say they have a hair under $12 million."

I was under the impression that a team can go up to 10% over the cap in the offseason, through training camp, but had to be cap compliant (under the $75M ceiling) the day before the season opener... A team can not surpass the ceiling at any point during the season, until after the trade deadline. Teams are permitted to go a certain amount (10%?) over with IR and / or bonuses (which would then carry over to the following season's cap)...

Can someone with a better understanding clarify this...

I'm on board with bringing Vanek back in on a one-year deal. Question is, who loses a roster spot in that situation? 

Zetterberg-Nielsen-Mantha

Tatar-Athanasiou-Nyquist

Svechnikov(?)-Larkin-Vanek

Abdelkader-Glendening-Witkowski

Helm/Sheahan/Bertuzzi

I like the looks of this, but it's pretty clear that a move is going to have to be made if Vanek is to be brought back. With the Panthers having lost Marchessault, Jagr, and Reilly Smith this offseason, you'd think they are looking around for forwards. Sheahan seemed to garner some interest at the deadline last year, so maybe Florida would be interested as a potential boost to the PK and based on the fact that he's still young. They seem to have some players in their AHL pipeline, but it's unclear to me whether they feel that those prospects are NHL-ready right now. 

6 minutes ago, Bring Back The Bruise Bros said:

I'm on board with bringing Vanek back in on a one-year deal. Question is, who loses a roster spot in that situation? 

Zetterberg-Nielsen-Mantha

Tatar-Athanasiou-Nyquist

Svechnikov(?)-Larkin-Vanek

Abdelkader-Glendening-Witkowski

Helm/Sheahan/Bertuzzi

I like the looks of this, but it's pretty clear that a move is going to have to be made if Vanek is to be brought back. With the Panthers having lost Marchessault, Jagr, and Reilly Smith this offseason, you'd think they are looking around for forwards. Sheahan seemed to garner some interest at the deadline last year, so maybe Florida would be interested as a potential boost to the PK and based on the fact that he's still young. They seem to have some players in their AHL pipeline, but it's unclear to me whether they feel that those prospects are NHL-ready right now. 

Maybe I'm looking at this group of forwards with rose covered glasses, but this is an impressive lineup especially considering most of them are young guys on the upswing.  Fix that D and we're in the playoffs.  Easier said than done, I know.

4 minutes ago, xtrememachine1 said:

Maybe I'm looking at this group of forwards with rose covered glasses, but this is an impressive lineup especially considering most of them are young guys on the upswing.  Fix that D and we're in the playoffs.  Easier said than done, I know.

The defense is what held them down last year, and it is poised to do the same going into this season. The goaltending, much like the aftermath of Howard's injury last year, is also a huge question mark going into the season. If Howard can both stay healthy and play even a similar game to what he began last season like, the team may be in decent shape. There are a lot of "if's" and "maybe's" involved here, so while the forward group doesn't look bad at all, I don't have my hopes up.

Edited by Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Is anyone hoping the wings have an awful year this year? This team is not a cup contender. Having a terrible year would allow 2 good things to happen. Fire Blashill after the season. Give us a better shot at drafting an actual good player.... although can see Holland going off the board and getting a player because "He has good morals, goes to Church every Sunday."

46 minutes ago, kjw25 said:

Is anyone hoping the wings have an awful year this year? This team is not a cup contender. Having a terrible year would allow 2 good things to happen. Fire Blashill after the season. Give us a better shot at drafting an actual good player.... although can see Holland going off the board and getting a player because "He has good morals, goes to Church every Sunday."

Ken dont take kindly to players who dont take kindly 

I don't hope for it, but I expect it.

Sent by my minions via telepathy

5 hours ago, kjw25 said:

2 hours ago, DickieDunn said:

I don't hope for it, but I expect it.

Sent by my minions via telepathy

Yeah, I'll never actively root against the Red Wings, and I'm not even going to say that I expect them to bottom out, but in such a top heavy draft, it wouldn't be the worst thing getting one of Dahlin, Svechnikov or Tkachuk in next year's draft. Dahlin is already being compared to Karlsson, the way he can skate and dictate play. We don't really need any more wingers, but it would be cool to have the Svech bros together. Svechnikov could be the most skilled of the three, and has the potential to be a Tarasenko type player. If Tkachuk is as good as his brother Matthew and dad Keith, he could be a great add as well.

Best case scenario (outside of winning the Cup...), all of the young guys take a huge step forward, we finish just outside the playoffs and pull a Flyers of this past season, jumping way up into the top 3 of the draft lottery.

16 hours ago, kickazz said:

Ken Holland himself

That doesn't help us fantasy book the territories, brother. 

I tried looking for clarification on the rules for cap space and when you have to be compliant, but it's pretty muddy waters out there on the interwebs. Capfriendly has a nice LTIR FAQ, but no definitive answer on when a player can be placed on LITR.  I tried looking at the CBA as well... and would rather jam something into an orifice than continue to try to decipher that Newspeak.

35 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

This is what great GM's do.

This is a rumour with nothing substantial to back it up. When it becomes more than rumour we can discuss the greatness of it. Lets not start talking like this trade is even on the table yet. 

1 minute ago, kliq said:

What if JT has already told them is leaving at the end of the year?

You don't think they could get a better package than that? Ovie for tavares would be a plausible deal. No way Tampa gets tavares for those two. If so we can rival that deal no problem 

8 minutes ago, Euro_Twins said:

You don't think they could get a better package than that? Ovie for tavares would be a plausible deal. No way Tampa gets tavares for those two. If so we can rival that deal no problem 

Good question......if he is 100% leaving and is set on becoming a UFA, I think the potential return is limited. The could definitely get a 1st round pick, but it would be a lower end pick. I would obviously shop him around and try to use that as my base offer, but if nothing better came along and we was going to leave, I think I would do it.